KDE ships version 5.2 of plasma next workspace

Guys, just get that daily iso from http://files.kde.org/snapshots/ and burn or write it on some medium, boot up and have fun. It's lot easier and safer than installing this side by side with current or other DM.

And that theme coth (happy bday btw) is a part of that iso; widgets are default of course but you have to pick that window decoration - it's called Breeze.

Guys, just get that daily iso from http://files.kde.org/snapshots/ and burn or write it on some medium, boot up and have fun. It's lot easier and safer than installing this side by side with current or other DM.

And that theme coth (happy bday btw) is a part of that iso; widgets are default of course but you have to pick that window decoration - it's called Breeze.

thats probably the easiest and safest way, but you get only weekly builds by doing this. using the ppa's gives you daily (or is this called nightly? :rofl: ) builds. i am using them for weeks now without any big issues.

One word come to my mind seeing those screenshots: Inconsistency

well yeah. that's to be expected since it is a WIP

Still ugly. They need UI designers.

The flat style they are going with actually looks good. I dont like the current one though.

well, yeah, WIP since October 14, 1996

what a nonsense comment. what gui actually is not wip then by this standard? i think its very easy to critisize, hardly can do any better. but if you have ideas, get in touch with the kde team, they are usually very open to implement anything wanted by the community.

Man I really wish Wubi was still being worked on. I'd really like to install Kubuntu through that and try this stuff out.

Wubi hasn't gone anywhere - it is, in fact, part of Ubuntu itself as an approved install method.  (However, you do still have to download the Wubi installer - which is NOT carried by all mirrors; fortunately, my three preferred US-based mirrors all do.)

Optionally, if you want to test out a live CD of the new KDE, you can grab a live image (based on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS - with mods, of course) here: http://neon.blue-systems.com/live-iso/

a few pages back i posted screenshots of the new system settings...

have a look at this

starting with 1:14 where he switches from normal to the new mode called "breeze view" :)

another wip of klipper. showing the filter function which will be definitely there in the final version :D

9228200.png

I'll probably give KDE another try when v5 goes final. I have never liked the past appearances of KDE, they've just felt so bloated compared to GNOME, but I like the direction KDE5 is going. Whether I use Fedora or Kubuntu, I dunno yet.

Wubi hasn't gone anywhere - it is, in fact, part of Ubuntu itself as an approved install method.  (However, you do still have to download the Wubi installer - which is NOT carried by all mirrors; fortunately, my three preferred US-based mirrors all do.)

Optionally, if you want to test out a live CD of the new KDE, you can grab a live image (based on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS - with mods, of course) here: http://neon.blue-systems.com/live-iso/

Nice, I'll give that live distro a try this week. Gotta buy some DVD's lol

As it is, I downloaded an older Wubi installer, but I'm going to search around to see if I can get one that installs a later version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu somewhere.

Plasma 5.0 has reached Release Candidate phase:

KDE Ships Release Candidate of Plasma 5

Plasma 5

July 8, 2014. KDE has today made available the candidate for the first release of Plasma 5, the next generation desktop. This is one last chance to test for bugs and check for problems before the final release next week.

plasma-5.0-rc.png

Source: kde.org

Plasma 5.0 has reached Release Candidate phase:

Source: kde.org

looks nice. the only thing that kind of bugs me is the blue glow around the system settings window

looks nice. the only thing that kind of bugs me is the blue glow around the system settings window

Aw I've always liked the blue glow, even put it on my Windows style just because.  Little extra splash of color, easier to pick up which one's active especially when you got a bunch of windows open.

I like the route they are going to! Bring on the flat interface :)

The blue glow which u can disable is typical for the plasma theme. The breeze theme has no blue glow around the border

what a nonsense comment. what gui actually is not wip then by this standard? i think its very easy to critisize, hardly can do any better. but if you have ideas, get in touch with the kde team, they are usually very open to implement anything wanted by the community.

In fact, if I'd have some spare time, I would gladly help them, since I have quite a bit of skills in UI design. That would have to be a start from scratch scenario tho...

In fact, if I'd have some spare time, I would gladly help them, since I have quite a bit of skills in UI design. That would have to be a start from scratch scenario tho...

its always good to start a new day reading a joke :rofl:

next station: quickly fix ferraris f1 engine. sure with your experience you would be an awesome replacement for marmorini as well :rofl:

After few updates it's now working. Good they also removed that constantly scrolling up/down title/description in main menu when you hover the mouse. That was annoying. Default Main Menu theme looks quite monotonous to say. KDE4 menu looks little nicer. Don't like is that you can't click Applications to get back to All Applications. And don't like it won't search in original/english titles/descriptions.

After few updates it's now working. Good they also removed that constantly scrolling up/down title/description in main menu when you hover the mouse. That was annoying. Default Main Menu theme looks quite monotonous to say. KDE4 menu looks little nicer. Don't like is that you can't click Applications to get back to All Applications. And don't like it won't search in original/english titles/descriptions.

bugs.kde.org is your place. file it as a bug and chose "wishlist"  :)

its always good to start a new day reading a joke :rofl:

next station: quickly fix ferraris f1 engine. sure with your experience you would be an awesome replacement for marmorini as well :rofl:

Unfortunately, I have no skills in F1 engine.

I do have skills in UI design tho and what I am saying is that, from my point of view, KDE UI is a mess and that is simply my opinion.