How to setup Buffalo WHR-300HP with new cable modem properly?

What I want to do is connect all the desktops to the modem directly (ethernet cables) and all the laptops/tablets/smartphones to the router through wireless. Because the modem got 1gigabit connection and my router, only supports up to 100mbit. So makes sense to connect all the most heavy used devices to the faster connection and leave the rest for the wifi.

But the problem I have is that when I connect the router directly to the modem, it doesn't get any internet connection (while the desktops do). Only gets successful internet connection if I'm connecting only the router to the modem, without the desktops. Which leaves me with a 100mbit connection for the desktops because I not have to connect them to the router; something I don't want.

How can I bypass that problem and connect all the desktops, including the router to the modem and all to have an internet connection?

And by the way: The router (WHR-300HP) got the latest dd-wrt firmware installed on it.

What "modem" do you have?  You sure its a modem and not gateway?  If your saying it has more than 1 lan port - it is not a modem.. Its a gateway - modem/router combo if your isp gave it to you.

If you want to use your router as an AP - provide wireless to your network.  Turn off its dhcp server, change its lan IP to be on your new "modems" network and connect it to your modem via one of the lan interface.  It is now an AP (access point)

What is make and model number of this new "modem" you got and we can walk through all the details.

Can't find the model of the "modem". And yeah, a gateway I guess. It's a router/modem combo in bridge mode (I think).

How would I set the router as an AP only? Set the connection type to static IP and set the address (there's an option for address for wan-ip or gateway) as 192.168.1.1 (the address of the "gateway")?

If it was in bridge mode, you would get public IPs devices connected to it. And if that was the case -- does your ISP give you more than 1 public, if not then no you wouldn't be able to connect more than how many IPs they give you to it. I find it unlikely they would give you more than 1.

yeah that link has instructions of how to setup an accesspoint. Which in a nutshell is the couple of steps I gave you. Turn off its dhcp, change its IP and connect to it to your network via one of its lan ports. To be honest changing its IP is not even a real requirement - would just make it harder to admin and could have dupe on your network, etc.