Now that the Kinect has been 'unbundled', you are...

Xbox One purchasing decision after 'unbundling' announcement  

110 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• ...more likely to purchase an Xbox One
    • ...less likely to purchase an Xbox One
    • ...going to purchase both separately
    • ...not influenced in anyway

Pretty simple poll. A lot of people said they were going to wait until the Kinect was unbundled before purchasing a One. Well, that time has come so how do you feel now?

Personally, it has greatly increased my interest in a One. I was reasonably confident that the Kinect would get the flick and the price would come down. I'll wait until I find a good bundle or deal and, finances permitting, buy one.

Your turn.

I voted not influenced because I already planned to get one bundled with the Kinect and I will still get it that way.

I'm not willing to spend the same amount of money as a ps4 when the One has the issues it has.

When this drops to ?200 I'll consider it but it needs more than halo and gears as exclusives.

• Like 3

Not influenced as i already own an Xbox One, however given I have no room to actually make use of any games that require the Kinect i think its a great thing in general.

The console will be cheaper, plus those people who want a Kinect for the voice commands, TV stuff, Skype and random games can still purchase one.

Not influenced as i already own an Xbox One, however given I have no room to actually make use of any games that require the Kinect i think its a great thing in general.

The console will be cheaper, plus those people who want a Kinect for the voice commands, TV stuff, Skype and random games can still purchase one.

^ what he said :yes:

Although I voted more likely, I have no plans on getting either a Xbox One or PS4. They are way too low spec to be considered 'next gen' consoles over and above the 360/PS3 and therfore too expensive for what you get.

To be honest we don't play on our 360 anymore. Its sat gathering dust. We no longer use it for a media player as the telly does a better job - HD mkv anyone?

Not influenced - when I DO get an XB1, it WILL include Kinect (due to functionality it brings to the console outside of gaming).

Apparently, for the majority of critics, their criticism had two motives - bring pricing parity with PS4, and also make PS4 look better (due to design differences between the two core consoles).

Despite the "core" price imbalance, the two consoles weren't really identical even in terms of block diagrams, were they?  Because XB1 included Kinect, while PS4 did not (and does not) include Move, any comparison of the two was mostly apples vs. grapefruit - and horked quite a few "comparison shoppers" - not to mention analysts - off.  How do you compare dis-similar consoles?  The answer to that is quite simple - you don't!  However, folks insisted - despite the impracticality - and analysts threw in their two cents as well.  How can we compare dis-similar (in terms of features) hardware and make our forecasts?

Yes, comparisons were easier when we had PS3 Slim and XB360 Core - however, the job of Microsoft and Sony is NOT to make comparison shopping strictly a matter of price.  The deciding factor is supposed to be about VALUE - not necessarily price.

PS3 (the original) brought BD playback (which XB360 lacked) and greater usage outside of gaming.  Microsoft's response?  Swap DVD-9 with BD in XB1, and include full-capability A/V and motion-sensing via Kinect - for less than PS Move.  As was noted, back in the XB360/PS3 era, Kinect even then cost less than PS Move.  (Why didn't Sony include PS Move with PS4?  That's easy enough to explain - they could not match Kinect on a cost basis - therefore, Move remains a high-priced (and slow-selling) option.)

Doubtless a low-weighting factor was the death of the old XB360 Core SKU AND the $99 XB360 deal - especially during a bad economy.  However, how much REAL difference has that made in terms of attach rates - for either PS4 or XB1?

tuckeratlarge - How are you getting those HD MKVs to the TV - streaming?  XB360 (or XB1, or PS3/PS4) can do that - so that means you are streaming from the PC instead.  (When I pull the trigger, that will be a major non-gaming use FOR the XB1 - streaming throughout the house - to everything; two HDTVs with wi-fi, two desktops, a tablet, and all other hardware that may be on the home LAN at a given point in time.)  That frees the desktop - mine - up for other tasks.  You are basically justifying making the "cheap choice" during a bad economy.  Fine - I have no issue with putting off purchases due to the bad economy - but please, don't blow smoke up my posterior.

Not influenced, no interest in these "next gen" consoles, got my PC's for that.  That said, if I were to buy one, it would be the one with the Kinect, get the whole experience.  I like bells and whistles. 

Not influenced - when I DO get an XB1, it WILL include Kinect (due to functionality it brings to the console outside of gaming).

Apparently, for the majority of critics, their criticism had two motives - bring pricing parity with PS4, and also make PS4 look better (due to design differences between the two core consoles).

Despite the "core" price imbalance, the two consoles weren't really identical even in terms of block diagrams, were they?  Because XB1 included Kinect, while PS4 did not (and does not) include Move, any comparison of the two was mostly apples vs. grapefruit - and horked quite a few "comparison shoppers" - not to mention analysts - off.  How do you compare dis-similar consoles?  The answer to that is quite simple - you don't!  However, folks insisted - despite the impracticality - and analysts threw in their two cents as well.  How can we compare dis-similar (in terms of features) hardware and make our forecasts?

Yes, comparisons were easier when we had PS3 Slim and XB360 Core - however, the job of Microsoft and Sony is NOT to make comparison shopping strictly a matter of price.  The deciding factor is supposed to be about VALUE - not necessarily price.

PS3 (the original) brought BD playback (which XB360 lacked) and greater usage outside of gaming.  Microsoft's response?  Swap DVD-9 with BD in XB1, and include full-capability A/V and motion-sensing via Kinect - for less than PS Move.  As was noted, back in the XB360/PS3 era, Kinect even then cost less than PS Move.  (Why didn't Sony include PS Move with PS4?  That's easy enough to explain - they could not match Kinect on a cost basis - therefore, Move remains a high-priced (and slow-selling) option.)

Doubtless a low-weighting factor was the death of the old XB360 Core SKU AND the $99 XB360 deal - especially during a bad economy.  However, how much REAL difference has that made in terms of attach rates - for either PS4 or XB1?

tuckeratlarge - How are you getting those HD MKVs to the TV - streaming?  XB360 (or XB1, or PS3/PS4) can do that - so that means you are streaming from the PC instead.  (When I pull the trigger, that will be a major non-gaming use FOR the XB1 - streaming throughout the house - to everything; two HDTVs with wi-fi, two desktops, a tablet, and all other hardware that may be on the home LAN at a given point in time.)  That frees the desktop - mine - up for other tasks.  You are basically justifying making the "cheap choice" during a bad economy.  Fine - I have no issue with putting off purchases due to the bad economy - but please, don't blow smoke up my posterior.

Not true.

Kinect cost $150 when it launched in 2010.

Move + camera cost $50 plus another $30 separately for the navi controller.

You could also buy Move + camera with Sports Champion for $99.

Sony removed the PS4 camera from the box to undercut the X1. It was planned to be included previously. Kinect 2 will likely cost more than PS4's camera ($60 RRP).

I'm not influenced as I never planned on getting an Xbox One. But I agree that this is good news for those that were looking to buy one but were stopped by the price mark.

Not true.

Sony removed the PS4 camera from the box to undercut the X1. It was planned to be included previously. Kinect 2 will likely cost more than PS4's camera ($60 RRP).

If it was removed to undercut the XB1 - and the price difference is $100USD - then the current price is a loss-leader/money-loser for SCEA.  According to the pricing data you just gave me, Sony COULD have had feature-parity without throwing away a price advantage; instead, they sacrificed features for that lower price.  Then there is the issue of updates that adding additional hardware requires - that is equally true for PS Move and XB360 with the Kinect add-on.  Sony is playing "price is the only thing" because they are tired of major losses - good for Sony.  However, what will it mean - in the short term, medium term, AND long term, for console gamers overall, and Sony and Microsoft in particular?

Not influenced as the PS4 is still the more powerful console at the same price point which to me seems like better value for my money. (Plus I mostly play multiplatform games and would prefer to have the smoother experience and better looking version of that game) With that being said I'll probably still pick up an Xbox One down the track once its has better exclusives like others have mentioned something other than halo and gears of war and when I do it will be the kinect version as I enjoy some motion detection type games.

Also I do think this will help improve Xbox One sales slightly because it gives the customer more options and doesn't force them to get a peripheral that they don't want or plan to use.

tuckeratlarge - How are you getting those HD MKVs to the TV - streaming? 

Yes, but not from a PC. My router has a couple of USB ports with two 3tb HDD attached

Not true.

You know, except the kinect then was generally a party thing, and one kinect you could have two players. Two players with move required more investment again.

If it was removed to undercut the XB1 - and the price difference is $100USD - then the current price is a loss-leader/money-loser for SCEA.  According to the pricing data you just gave me, Sony COULD have had feature-parity without throwing away a price advantage; instead, they sacrificed features for that lower price.  Then there is the issue of updates that adding additional hardware requires - that is equally true for PS Move and XB360 with the Kinect add-on.  Sony is playing "price is the only thing" because they are tired of major losses - good for Sony.  However, what will it mean - in the short term, medium term, AND long term, for console gamers overall, and Sony and Microsoft in particular?

Details are a little blurry. Forbes had an article a while ago which says they are even on the costs/profit. All Things D said they make $18 per console. It's most likely in the red when you take shipping / R&D into account. They lost ?1.25B last year bringing PS4 to market so again not good news. How it all adds up once you attach a game sale will change things too, which is what the Wii U's plan was when it launched.

I'm not sure they've had to sacrifice much removing the camera from the box though. Sales of the peripheral have been strong due to Twitch integration as there's even less software to support it than Kinect has on X1. They announced this week that the light bar on the DS4 was made with Project Morpheus in mind, which they seem to be banking on more now than Move itself (which the light bar also supports). Losing the camera was a smart tactical move, one they didn't need to do, but they've understood that price hurt them most when launching PS3 against the 360 last time.

In the long term it will always come down to costs. Microsoft obviously have deeper pockets but under pressure to make profit on Xbox eventually. Sony are in bad financial shape but PS4 is their hot ticket right now. Microsoft can probably supply the RAM cheaper now if not sooner than Sony could with GDDR5, but Sony also make their own BD which will be a lot cheaper than MS ever can. They also use more "off the shelf" hardware, so I'm sure there's less overhead costs there too.

You know, except the kinect then was generally a party thing, and one kinect you could have two players. Two players with move required more investment again.

All true, but as far as hardware costs go, Kinect was never cheaper than Move which is what I was correcting PGHammer on. I'm not even sure Move had many party games, so the requirement to have more than 1 set of controllers may not come into it. I don't think the navi controller was even utilized that much either.

Arguably, move wasn't utilized much at all though :)

Couldn't say personally as I never owned it, but there's apparently 126 games with Move support and 127 with Kinect (and 2 games still to launch with support). 54 and 63 exclusives respectively.