4:3 or 16:9 or 16:10? Which do you prefer?

What are your favorite aspect ratios?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer on a mini tablet? iPad mini or Surface Mini

2. 2. How about on a large tablet? iPad Air or Surface

3. 3. How about on the desktop?

I haven't heard of a tablet that does not support keyboards or pointing devices - and yes, that includes the current-generation iPads, despite that they are third-party.  I get the pickiness - however, the point you are trying to make is largely irrelevant.

I prefer 16:9 because that is what I am used to (on all my screens) - the only non-16:9/16:10 screens I see in even occasional use are on CRT TVs, of which none are in current use.  (All the TVs in current use in the house are 16:9 - with screen sizes ranging from 32" to 55"; my PC screen is 23", while Mom's is 24", and Mom's Android tablet is 7" - and it is also 16:10.)

The biggest problem with the iPads is that their A/R is different from the iPhone - and that is the platform most developers aim at; modal absolutism (on the part of developers) rears its head!  (It's not just an iOS problem - it's a problem on Android, too.)

Yeah, they support bluetooth keyboards but they are generally not that great of an experience to type with for full papers. I like the Type Cover 2 for my SP2, but I would never use it for a full day. It's just not comfortable enough for me. I need a decent membrane keyboard or preferably a mechanical keyboard, and neither is really possible on a tablet. Like you said, I'm picky, and don't represent what the mass market wants. On top of that, you don't get full fledged OS's on devices like the iPad or Android tablets (SP2 is one of the few exception devices). Up until recently, Office wasn't even available on the iPad. So, things are heading in the right direction. 

A/R's being different on devices will be a problem for every platform. I would say Apple has an advantage here because they control their own hardware. The iPad doesn't/didn't have to be 4:3, they could've just as easily made it 16:9 or 16:10 or something else. Android is the least strict on hardware guidelines which allows for many unique devices (it's a pro and a con). 

Censored.

Yeah, they support bluetooth keyboards but they are generally not that great of an experience to type with for full papers. I like the Type Cover 2 for my SP2, but I would never use it for a full day. It's just not comfortable enough for me. I need a decent membrane keyboard or preferably a mechanical keyboard, and neither is really possible on a tablet. Like you said, I'm picky, and don't represent what the mass market wants. On top of that, you don't get full fledged OS's on devices like the iPad or Android tablets (SP2 is one of the few exception devices). Up until recently, Office wasn't even available on the iPad. So, things are heading in the right direction. 

A/R's being different on devices will be a problem for every platform. I would say Apple has an advantage here because they control their own hardware. The iPad doesn't/didn't have to be 4:3, they could've just as easily made it 16:9 or 16:10 or something else. Android is the least strict on hardware guidelines which allows for many unique devices (it's a pro and a con). 

The problem is more in terms of software than hardware - it's why I whacked the developers, not Apple (except where they ARE the developer). It can, and has, been a problem in other OSes as well - don't be shy about whacking a developer when spotting it, either.

I personally like 16:10 for everything possible. 16:9 is great for video and media but for anything else I just find 16:10 to be better with more vertical space.

I personally like 16:10 for everything possible. 16:9 is great for video and media but for anything else I just find 16:10 to be better with more vertical space.

The only area where 16:9/16:10 can be an issue is reading text - and the only application that has a native two-page-view is (unfortunately) Word; neither Acrobat/Reader or Kindle has a two-page mode.