Xbox One Update: June 2014

What I really want from the update is the ability to have voice chat via regular speakers/headphone even if the headset/mic is plugged in...360 can do, original Xbox could do it, why can't X1 do it? :ike:

I'm sure that will come, got to have some way of using all of the voice functions that they spent so much time adding.

• Like 1

Thats awesome. As long as the external drives don't need to be formatted I will hook up my 2TB drive to it. Also real name support is a cool feature.

Pretty sure you are out of luck. It will probably use a nonstandard format which requires full format of the drive. This is for "security" purposes.

• Like 1

The fact you have to format the drive is why I think people won't be able to use something like a NAS or any type of RAID external USB3 unit for this.   Anyways, after they get this update out I fully expect them to have a 1TB internal SKU for sale for the holidays. 

• Like 1

I'm sure that will come, got to have some way of using all of the voice functions that they spent so much time adding.

Sure hope so man, and believe you are right. Cause in the meantime playing Titanfall is downright painful :cry:

Sure hope so man, and believe you are right. Cause in the meantime playing Titanfall is downright painful :cry:

Wait, you can't use the bundled headset with Titanfall? Voice chatting in games should already work.

I want to know if it needs to be formatted as well. I have a 1TB drive that I would love to use, but I also use it for backups of photos,etc

The external drive does need to be formatted first.

I am waiting to see if you can still plug it into a pc and load up your own files/media after that formatting.

I want to know if it needs to be formatted as well. I have a 1TB drive that I would love to use, but I also use it for backups of photos,etc

It does need to format, but you could try partition it? Maybe that'd work. Not sure on that one.

I doubt you'll be able to use it on the PC after that, it'll be an all or nothing, to keep it secure.  I'm betting it's going to use some form of NTFS EFS and Bitlocker to encrypt things and only allow the Xbox One OS to read it.

Or you might be able to connect it but you'll get permission errors when you try to open anything.

• Like 1

I am waiting to see if you can still plug it into a pc and load up your own files/media after that formatting.

nope.

Q:    Can I use my external storage device with my PC as well as my Xbox One?

A:    No. The external storage device will be formatted for use by the Xbox One console only. PCs won?t recognize the drive partition created by the Xbox One.

source: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_access/update_preview/update_preview_forums/wave_4_1406/f/4867/t/1760081.aspx

Was there a Kinect update with this? My Kinect signs me in, instantaneously rather I have the light on or complete darkness...

Kinect hears my every command, all without raising my voice. And I sit about 8'-10' from Kinect...

Was there a Kinect update with this? My Kinect signs me in, instantaneously rather I have the light on or complete darkness...

Kinect hears my every command, all without raising my voice. And I sit about 8'-10' from Kinect...

They have been tweaking Kinect and they pushed out a recent option to help them improve voice commands, so maybe that has improved the behavior for you. Hopefully it has done so for people that had issues (if they are even using Kinect anymore)

Wait, you can't use the bundled headset with Titanfall? Voice chatting in games should already work.

Thanks for asking! Included headset works fine, problem is i get sound from headphones plugged into my TV. That means X1 headset goes on my dome first, then i put the headphones over that...painful :cry:

It's the only way that i've figured out to hear other people talk and have them hear me while also getting main game sound. Very awkward and needs to be addressed.

EDIT: PS4 does the same thing BTW, except the headset is much smaller and not proprietary. If MS allowed us to use any headset, it would be less of a problem.

So anyone in the program get the first June test builds yet?  I have a feeling they should be starting around now.

So anyone in the program get the first June test builds yet?  I have a feeling they should be starting around now.

Yup,

hooked up my 4TB drive to it. Loading times are noticeably faster, which is awesome

Mu6q7Cy.jpg

• Like 3

Yup,

hooked up my 4TB drive to it. Loading times are noticeably faster, which is awesome

Mu6q7Cy.jpg

Have you tried to plug that into a pc and see if you can access parts of it? I'm mainly wondering about the option of loading your own media on it. I know there are currently no apps that support local media playback, but it could come if external drives can be used in that way.

Have you tried to plug that into a pc and see if you can access parts of it? I'm mainly wondering about the option of loading your own media on it. I know there are currently no apps that support local media playback, but it could come if external drives can be used in that way.

Microsoft say once you hook up the drive to the One it formats the WHOLE drive. So there must be a algorithm in there that un-partitions the drive and formats the entire drive.

I believe people will figure how to trick the external drive sooner, rather than later, considering the whole W8 part of things and all...

Unviewable on a PC. I haven't tried it on my mac or linux box though.

Microsoft say once you hook up the drive to the One it formats the WHOLE drive. So there must be a algorithm in there that un-partitions the drive and formats the entire drive.

I believe people will figure how to trick the external drive sooner, rather than later, considering the whole W8 part of things and all...

Well what I was hoping was that they would expose part of the formatted partition for adding your own media for playback. That could still happen as a later update when they add the option to play such files in apps on the X1 such as Xbox Music.

I would also like to know what happens if you plug in an external that is already partitioned. Will you get the option to format just a single partition, or does it just wipe the whole drive.

I would also like to know what happens if you plug in an external that is already partitioned. Will you get the option to format just a single partition, or does it just wipe the whole drive.

it wipes the entire drive.

It does ask you if you want to do it, so I'm thinking, later on, if you connect a drive with media on it, just pick NOT to use it as external storage and then it'll just read it as is and let you playback any media already on it.

It does ask you if you want to do it, so I'm thinking, later on, if you connect a drive with media on it, just pick NOT to use it as external storage and then it'll just read it as is and let you playback any media already on it.

I don't think the Xbox One can do that yet, even with this update.

Thanks for asking! Included headset works fine, problem is i get sound from headphones plugged into my TV. That means X1 headset goes on my dome first, then i put the headphones over that...painful :cry:

It's the only way that i've figured out to hear other people talk and have them hear me while also getting main game sound. Very awkward and needs to be addressed.

EDIT: PS4 does the same thing BTW, except the headset is much smaller and not proprietary. If MS allowed us to use any headset, it would be less of a problem.

Have you tried this? http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/accessories/headsets/stereo-headset-adapter

I used it with my Turtle Beach X31s I had with my 360 and works great.  Only minor problem I had was getting games sound from both the controller and tv.  I used the buttons on the device to balance all sound to voice chat and now I have separate volume levels for chat and games sounds as the headset also had it's won volume controls.

• Like 1

I don't think the Xbox One can do that yet, even with this update.

That's why I said later on, I expect local media playback to be something lots of owners are asking for, and since they're actually listening to feedback it should be added, maybe in July, or maybe later.

That's why I said later on, I expect local media playback to be something lots of owners are asking for, and since they're actually listening to feedback it should be added, maybe in July, or maybe later.

My bad.  Agreed.  Local content would be great.  That said, at least for media playback, the Play To function is awesome.

I have my Videos (library) on my PC, which I can Play To seamlessly (it's gotten much, much faster and stable).

But better yet, is that I use my Surface to access movies on my PC and then Play To my Xbox.  Long story short - I don't have to leave my couch.