Remote Desktop Connection help

How would I remotely connect to a pc using Remote Desktop Connection from outside of the network? 

For example, the address inside the network is "192.168.1.100" and that is all I need to enter for the pc name. How would I connect to that pc from a friends house for example?

forward port 3359 on your router to the ip of the needed machine (192.168.xxx.xxx) and connect using the external IP

Its actualy 3389

I do use teamviewer. I'm finding Remote desktop connection to be significantly faster. Team viewer is giving me a framerate of around 5-10fps. Remote desktop connection is getting me 55fps. Not that the framerate is all that important, but the reality is why not work with what is giving me the best performance? When I'm dragging windows around on teamviewer they 'teleport'. The cursor stutters as well. Remote desktop connection is as flawless as if I were sitting right there at that computer. When fullscreen I literally can't tell a difference between it, and my own desktop.

Rdp is very unsecure and should not be running it direct. There is too much risk involved with it. To secure it properly you need to run a vpn connection. I would not directly open that port on any network.

Also rdping on the the local lan is different than on the internet. Local you have between 100 and 1000Mb/s. The internet you have between 1 and 50, it is only as fast as your upload or the remote sites download. Which ever had the slowest speed.

How are you using TV -- are you connecting local?  How are you using RDP - local?  As sc302 mentions there is a huge difference between doing these technologies on the local lan vs interent.  Don't you have a 150mbps connection, what is your upload speed?

Where are are you at and what is that speed for internet?

I use both TV from work and RDP through a openvpn connection to my home network.  Both work just fine - I normally just rdp in because I normally have the vpn connection open.  But if something goes wrong with the vpn I TV in, etc.  I will do some testing to see which one works better today from some sort of fps?  How are you measuring this?  I don't recall RDP showing any sort of FPS number?  But maybe I never looked.

Also if you want to use rdp from remote, you also need to know what your public IP is or us some form of dynamic dns to get your public IP.

Rdp is very unsecure and should not be running it direct. 

Unsecure how? If by a user having a weak-password, then this isn't RDP's fault. You could always change the listening port in the registry and make it something non-standard, that will cut down on most of the 3389 attempts right there since most drive-by attackers won't bother scanning and just go straight for the single port, if it's closed, most will move on.

I am not currently aware of some open RDP vulnerability that Microsoft hasn't patches in their currently supported OS's...

• Like 2

http://www.howtogeek.com/175087/how-to-enable-and-secure-remote-desktop-on-windows/

to change the RDP port number from 3389, run regedit.exe and follow these steps

• Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
  • On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
  • Type the new port number, and then click OK.
  • Quit Registry Editor.
  • Restart the computer.

I err to the side of caution. Microsoft is constantly under the gun...constantly. While the RDP protocol itself is secure the insecurity comes from users. There are no requirements for passwords, that in itself is an issue and what can makes it unsecure.

So where is it you are seeing RDP FPS?

How do you get this info, I show on my connection only this.

post-14624-0-88065800-1400857258.png

So with TV, again I don't show any FPS info - are you trying to watch videos or something over these connections?

post-14624-0-04612400-1400857944.png

Is there some command you are doing that I am not aware of to show this FPS info?

So where is it you are seeing RDP FPS?

How do you get this info, I show on my connection only this.

attachicon.gifconnectioninfoRDP.png

So with TV, again I don't show any FPS info - are you trying to watch videos or something over these connections?

attachicon.giftvnofps.png

Is there some command you are doing that I am not aware of to show this FPS info?

Fraps shows it for me.

Ok I don't understand how that is relevant for a remote desktop session to be honest.

I installed fraps, fired up remote desktop and it showed 1 fps when not doing anything.. And then if I moved a window or something it went up.. FPS might be a useful measurement if watching a video. But working with a desktop unless your moving something around its pretty much meaningless -- its a static picture, so fps would be 0 ;)

Ok I don't understand how that is relevant for a remote desktop session to be honest.

I installed fraps, fired up remote desktop and it showed 1 fps when not doing anything.. And then if I moved a window or something it went up.. FPS might be a useful measurement if watching a video. But working with a desktop unless your moving something around its pretty much meaningless -- its a static picture, so fps would be 0 ;)

to show 0fps the screen would have to be off. A static picture is 1fps by default :)

Ok - but you get my point ;)

So again what are you using for your comparison between TV and RDP.. Are you connecting from outside, or just lan? TV has lan option for example - there are all kinds of display and quality tweaks for both systems. For example you say stuff teleports - on my RDP session, which I have set to automatic when I move window I get a frame showing the window to where I will move it.

post-14624-0-44659400-1400861769.png

While on TV I see the window contents as I move it about the screen.

If I manually set RDP settings then I can pick to have it show the contents of the window as I move it

post-14624-0-34841200-1400861952.png

How would I remotely connect to a pc using Remote Desktop Connection from outside of the network? 

For example, the address inside the network is "192.168.1.100" and that is all I need to enter for the pc name. How would I connect to that pc from a friends house for example?

There was a similar discussion on Spiceworks community http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/494914-remote-control-for-remote-sites that might be helpful.  

• 2 weeks later...