Blue screen of death joke over for Microsoft?

Remember in the 90s when the blue screen of death was a common thing for Microsoft and Win95 to XP. People don't remember but Apple had a similar problem with there pre OSX system but because it was not popular people general didn't know about it. I remember by in the day when everyone would make fun of the Blue screen of death. But now, I don't hear it anymore and more so with Win8. Do you think time has pass now that the Blue screen of death joke is over for Microsoft?

Remember in the 90s when the blue screen of death was a common thing for Microsoft and Win95 to XP. People don't remember but Apple had a similar problem with there pre OSX system but because it was not popular people general didn't know about it. I remember by in the day when everyone would make fun of the Blue screen of death. But now, I don't hear it anymore and more so with Win8. Do you think time has pass now that the Blue screen of death joke is over for Microsoft?

Last BSOD I had that wasn't related to bad hardware was back in the Vista days

Altho at work one of our Citrix Win 7 sessions blue screened, and even that is rare 

• Like 1

I still get a BSOD every now and then, but it is always due to the faulty Ethernet drivers that I currently am using... Even though they are the ones provided by Microsoft, there must be some incompatibility issue with those and the Ethernet of my laptop. Regardless, I can't be bothered to install custom stuff, it is not like it makes a difference, happens only when shutting down the laptop fully. It happens once every 3-4 months or so, although the frequency has quite a lot been reduced with 8.1 (in 8.0, it was happening once or twice per week).

I don't think the joke is old, just that the problems that the joke was about have been almost non-existent since Vista. In the vast majority of cases that still happen, third-party stuff is to blame, rarely the OS.

EDIT: Also, there is a fallback feature of Windows, whenever a driver crashes, the OS tries to restart the driver and not shut down completely. Just imagine if that wasn't the case, nVidia's drivers would have been causing BSODs left and right.

The Mac Pros we used at College crashed for the stupidest reasons, usually when asked to render video or render an effect in Photoshop.

It was a "Several times a day" occurrence. 

post-350302-0-63397400-1400984218.jpg

post-350302-0-21338300-1400984223.jpg

Last BSoD I experienced was the day I upgraded off XP. Good riddance.

I get one on 8, once in a blue moon.

• Like 1

Faulty, outdated, unstable or poorly coded drivers can still bring down Windows 8 even if they're WHQL approved, not to mention the unpredictable hardware failures or malware activity. BSODs will still plague future versions of Windows as long as those problems exist. I've seen quite a few Windows 8 machines having BSODs with devices drivers mostly related to USB, OEM system tools/bloatware or even AV kernel drivers.

MS might alleviate the problem by setting strict policies on its hardware partners when it comes to drivers but 3rd parties will still find a way to screw it up.

Used to get them occasionally with XP, not super frequent but enough to be irritating.. even very infrequently during post installation, don't miss that version of the OS much.  Since then, last blue screen I had was some years back on 7 RTM, fan crapped out on the GPU and thing thing overheated.  Have yet to have one on any of the systems here otherwise though.. the occasional program might take a dump due to a bug, hell even had a video driver crash one or twice but Windows still recovers gracefully, but nothing that brought down the whole system... been rock solid.

Testing overclock stability is the easiest way to get a Blue Screen in W8

• Like 2

It still happens a lot. Often times due to system files being corrupt or some kind of hardware failure. Windows 8.1 is a lot more robust than the previous Windows versions. You will get fewer BSOD's but they are not totally gone.

The last blue screen that I remember having was due to an issue with the computer memory. One of the memory modules was bad and needed to be removed. After that, I no longer had any issues.

Fun fact: The graphics stability that users of modern Windows enjoy is the result of a new display driver model introduced in Windows Vista.

• Like 3

I got a few when using windows update around a month ago.

I sorted the problem out by turning off from the power my two external u.s.b. h.d.d.

I also got the odd b.s.o.d. using some software that was written up to xp, even using compatibility mode.

Haven't had one in a very long time. But the last one I did have was when Windows 8 first came out, and I saw the frowny face of death. Although frustrating, it kinda made me chuckle. (bad graphics driver, actually, wrong driver for my laptop, it was for a different yet similar model than mine.)

I would say the interesting thing is to get that frownie face and more  useful info to appear (rather than the old BSOD) required a  lot of dev time to update very old code.that no one except the win8 designers wanted to touch.

Actually the easiest way is to have an nVidia graphics card in your system...

I don't remember the last time i had a BSOD. Had to be prior to Vista in the XP days. Close to 10 year sago.

Actually had forgotten they ever existed.

What i'll never forget is the windows 98 Illegal operation pop up that'd never go away and you had to hide some where to the side of the screen til you restarted or windows eventually Blue screened.

Easiest way in 7 too methinks

Nah, download a game on a netbook, then play for 5+ minutes

Have seen a fair share on Windows 8 and 8.1 after updates, data corruption and/or hardware problems. It's not been as pleasant as it could have been.

Haven't had a BSOD since the very short time I ever used Windows Me, which was like for 2 weeks, maybe, then upgraded computer to W2K and haven't had one since.

Those things have been a thing of the past since W2K unless you had bad drivers or faulty hardware.

my last bsod was on an xp machine, when testing a mates problematic video card, so it was strictly the card that was at fault.  other than that, i've not had a bsod for so long, i can't recall when it was any more.