Currently I have a Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT and a Core2Duo E7500 OC'd to 3.33 Ghz With 4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Ram and an EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked. I would like to get the E7500 up to either 3.8Ghz or 4Ghz if possible. I tried just doing what I did to get to 3.33 Ghz but my system becomes unstable and crashes so I'll likely have to mess with voltages and all that good stuff. System doesn't post past 333Mhz fsb and 3.66Ghz (333 x 11) is unstable blue screening Windows 7 x64. Some games such as TF2 don't perform good for some reason, fps drops constantly to 30 fps and sometimes below that on certain maps. I'm hoping by bumping up clock speed that I might be able to squeeze more fps out or maintain higher fps. Although there is really no excuse or legitimate reason why TF2 shouldn't perform much better on my hardware and read some with beefy gaming rigs are also being affected by severe fps drops. TF2 seems to be choosy with what hardware it works well with so some players aren't affected by this and it seems to be a random issue with some hardware and configurations. Besides that I have some applications that could benefit from a higher clock speed  so at least 3.8Ghz - 4Ghz is what I'm aiming for.

Unrelated to overclocking but I'm seeking an answer to the following:

Is there any way to repair my Sabertooth X58's? One of them had an electrical problem that would make the system lose power and randomly shut down or reboot. I tried to resolder the power connections but couldn't get the solder to set in right and just got blobs, not sure if I ruined that board. The other one just failed for no reason, stopped posting and only the cpu/dram lights light up without beeps or posting.

I would like to use my i7 again as well as my other GTX 460 in sli. The problem here is I don't trust eBay or Craigslist, Newegg and Amazon have very limited stock now for LGA1366 boards and sellers on Amazon are selling five year outdated (by three generations) tech for jacked up prices. One seller selling the same Sabertooth X58 boards as I have is selling them for $250 used whereas I only paid $200 brand new back in 2010 and 2012 on both Newegg and Amazon. There is no way  I'd pay that much for a replacement board used especially not when I've had two quit on me so far after only around a year of use. I managed to screw up somehow and voided the warranty which is why I'm either trying to repair it or find a cheap replacement somewhere. So it's either jacked up prices or some cheap or no name crap for a replacement LGA1366 board. That's why I went with an E7500 and a cheap LGA775 board until I could afford to upgrade to Haswell or whatever is the latest when I can afford to upgrade. At first it was only less than $30 for the E7500 but the LGa775 board I had since 2008 was unstable and might've bit the dust. I ended up receiving an LGA775 GIgabyte G41MT-S2PT in exchange for some work I did so either way it was under $30 out of my pocket which is why I went this route but no such luck finding a cheap LGA1366 replacement that is good for overclocking and supports sli..

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been waiting a while for a reply and gave up on my initial inquires. Could someone at least provide an answer for what I'm about to ask?

I sent my Sabertooth X58 back. Seeing as how no retailers whether online or brick and mortar stores carry this in stock anymore being it's an LGA1366 board I had to send it back via RMA. Thing is I have to pay out of pocket to replace since the warranty was accidentally voided since I scratched the pcb after the board failed when I went to remove it so I could box it up and fill out an RMA. What I'd like to know is if they would have any in stock and how much are they going to charge for a replacement?

I hope they won't still charge me $200 for what is five year old tech now and superseded by three generations/socket revisions. I already tried looking on Amazon and while I found the board sellers were asking an absurd amount for it, originally $250 for the same board used when I paid $199 for it brand new.

Edit: Preferably someone with experience with Asus RMA and computer hardware.

Thanks.

I know not 24 hours yet. Would appreciate a response though to at least take the mystery out of it and know whether or not I'll be able to afford a replacement. There's no way I'd pay $200 for a five year old board and technology, at that price it would break the bank too much. The Asus rep couldn't tell me if they had any in stock and how much a replacement would cost, I would have to send it back via RMA before I found anything out so currently I'm anxious to find out as I would like to get my system running with my i7. This Core2Duo doesn't have nearly as much ummph as my overclocked i7 did and I'm more anxious than ever to get up and running with the i7 thanks to the awesome performance boost with the latest WHQL Nvidia driver.

know not 24 hours yet. Would appreciate a response though to at least take the mystery out of it and know whether or not I'll be able to afford a replacement.

I really don't know your budget, so I can't answer if you could afford something or not.

After reading your post a few times, I really can't find a direct question to answer.

In my opinion, save your money for something new and not broken or used.  Are you sure your i7 wasn't powering down due to your overclock?

Found one question:

What I'd like to know is if they would have any in stock and how much are they going to charge for a replacement?

I have no idea if anyone still stocks a 1333 socket and have no clue about how much it would cost to replace or fix. 

I think you're better off not messing with something refurbished and get something new.  Even though the 1333 socket i7 is still a good CPU, I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.  That's all dependent on the RMA cost and availability.

Hope I at least helped a little.

Thanks, don't worry about what I initially asked. I'm just anxious and curious to find out how much Asus will charge for a replacement Sabertooth X58 (LGA1366) if they have any in stock. Perhaps there is someone here who has dealt with Asus when RMA'ing a motherboard out of warranty. I'm really hoping they aren't going to charge $199, the list price through retailers 2 - 5 years ago when the board was in stock at online e-retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone will take time to respond after previous inquires went unresponded to.

So I sent the LGA1366 Sabertooth X58 to Asus via RMA. I recently got a response back that they would cover it under warranty. The email rep made it sound as if they were sending a new board but came to find out they only repaired the one I sent and are shipping that back. Supposedly it's been repaired but the board had physical damage caused after the initial failure. I'm worried that damage will affect proper operation of the board or lead to other unforeseen issues after fixing the initial fault with the board.

Why would they repair it and not send a new board especially with physical damage? I mentioned that if they couldn't cover it under warranty I'd gladly pay for a brand new replacement but they opted to repair rather than either replace the board or give me the option to pay for a replacement. Is this because they don't have that board in stock, something else they couldn't offer a replacement?

Do they at least have equipment to resurface and restore the boards, fix circuitry as if it's brand new?

Thanks. :)

Anyone? Would appreciate a response to the above post, is there anyone here that dealt with RMA'ing a motherboard (RMA'ing anything in general)  especially hardware more than a couple or few years old? It just worries me because the board had physical damage besides the initial fault, I scratched or gouged the backside of the pcb when trying to remove a stuck spacer after the board failed and tried to pull it so I could RMA. Besides even if the board "works" now the damaged area would be subject to shorts and corrosion. I'm not even sure whether or not the physical damage will affect operation in any way. That's why I'm wondering if they have a way to repair circuitry (traces) and scratches/gouges on board, some method of repair/resurface so the board would essentially be like a new board?

RMA and repair works differently in different countries. I have no idea how that works in USA.

For example, in Germany, you can RMA an electronic equipment during warranty. There is no guideline or law on whether or not they have to replace or repair it. There is however a law that says that on the third time you RMA something in that it gets replaced. They might try and repair it the forst two times, they might not.

I see but how would they repair the physical damage? I'm surprised they decided to repair/replace in the first place under warranty due to physical damage even though it happened after the board failed. However I was very polite and provided adequate details and an explanation plus I'm sure they realized there was indeed a fault on the board and decided to repair it.

If they repair the original fault but not physical damage wouldn't the board still be junk if that damage impacts proper operation?

I have no idea how they repair it. However, if under warranty, they would have to do so mething with it so that you get a fully functioning board back. Whether they replace or repair, it's up to them and the laws of the country.

As I said, in my country (Germany) they can attempt to repair the equipment twice and on the third time they have to replace it with a new one.