Remove server from domain or just switch it off

Hi,

I will be retiring a server soon that no longer does anything. Is it best practice to just switch it off or should it be removed from the domain first?

you can remove it or delete it from the aduc if it is just a server.  if it is a dc you are better off to dcpromo it off the network prior to shutting it down.

Quick tip: Always make sure you know (or reset) the local admin password before you remove the machine from the domain. It can be a pain trying to do it afterwards. A mistake I've made a few times particularly with old servers.

• 1 month later...

If I forget to remove from domain, is all I have to do is delete the computer object or are there any other things to do or delete?

If I forget to remove from domain, is all I have to do is delete the computer object or are there any other things to do or delete?

Depends , Is it a domain server?

Depends on its role but generally it can just be deleted.  You can login to the server and move it into a workgroup.  This in itself will disable the computer object in AD.

As mentioned, if it's just a normal server attached to the DC but doesn't have any roles then it can be deleted or removed. Eitherway will work just fine but definitely make sure it's no longer listed in the domain if it's not being used.