With this being a long weekend, and me having no life, I have been spending a lot of time with my xbox one.

Today i thought i would edit my avatar, so i went on and i did some changes and saved them.

For the first time since i have gotten my xbox one, i realize that the avatars have been pretty much phased out.. I cant see any of my friends avatars and i cant show mine off...

Why can i even edit my avatar on xbox one if i cant use it? The standard images are cool and all, but would be nice to setup some unique dynamic content.

I think i was just kind of disappointed about it, anyone else feel the same way?

Edit:

So of course that right after i type this, i realize i can see avatars under Avatar>Friends. Still, i think it would be nice to see my avatar on the dashboard again, along with my top 3 friends or something...

avatars on 360 and XB1 are different... 

360 avatars are small and fixed.

XB1 avatars are big and scalable to the screen size.

and make sure you have the privacy settings changed to friends only or public.. so your friends can view your avatar and your profile.

• Like 1

With this being a long weekend, and me having no life, I have been spending a lot of time with my xbox one.

Today i thought i would edit my avatar, so i went on and i did some changes and saved them.

For the first time since i have gotten my xbox one, i realize that the avatars have been pretty much phased out.. I cant see any of my friends avatars and i cant show mine off...

Why can i even edit my avatar on xbox one if i cant use it? The standard images are cool and all, but would be nice to setup some unique dynamic content.

I think i was just kind of disappointed about it, anyone else feel the same way?

Edit:

So of course that right after i type this, i realize i can see avatars under Avatar>Friends. Still, i think it would be nice to see my avatar on the dashboard again, along with my top 3 friends or something...

Yeah the feature is pretty buried in the menus. They aren't really in use anymore which is a shame, especially when they went to the effort of porting all the marketplace items.

What annoys me more is the advanced editor is gone, so you can't create your own poses/gamerpic. Just a selection of defaults (N)

avatars on 360 and XB1 are different... 

360 avatars are small and fixed.

XB1 avatars are big and scalable to the screen size.

and make sure you have the privacy settings changed to friends only or public.. so your friends can view your avatar and your profile.

I think he was refering to the stupid people you can make and waste your money on buying useless stuff for them which the Wii started with.

I think he was refering to the stupid people you can make and waste your money on buying useless stuff for them which the Wii started with.

I know that but I was letting him know about the avatar sizes on those consoles since he's new to XB1 and the privacy settings for the content/avatars.

Nope :( I miss my guitar prop too :laugh:

:( Glad I still own two physical copies then, they can't take those from me! :D

• Like 1

X1, 360, and Windows Phone avatars are completely separate now, it's a slight mess to be honest. But sonic, as you've discovered they still work on X1, it's just that they are not dynamic anymore and can only be used for your gamerpic, basically. Guess it's part of the more mature image X1 is trying to convey. Or perhaps Rare were wondering why someone would edit their avatar, before realizing it couldnt be used anyway :D

X1, 360, and Windows Phone avatars are completely separate now, it's a slight mess to be honest. But sonic, as you've discovered they still work on X1, it's just that they are not dynamic anymore and can only be used for your gamerpic, basically. Guess it's part of the more mature image X1 is trying to convey. Or perhaps Rare were wondering why someone would edit their avatar, before realizing it couldnt be used anyway :D

It's also a big mess when I can't see my XB1 achievements on Windows 8 or phone.

• Like 1

It's also a big mess when I can't see my XB1 achievements on Windows 8 or phone.

This was one of the first things that struck me as just ridiculous. However, i then realized this is because X1 has been completely separated from the rest of our MS accounts to enable imports, due to the small number of official launch locations. It's the first MS device where the device locale and account locale can be completely different. It also ushered global XBL Gold accounts, which no one noticed and no one at MS thought was important enough to mention.

The situation is very silly when you can't see activity or achievements on friggin Xbox.com, but at the same time it nonetheless tallies gamerscore earned on X1. But because i understand why they did, it's not so bad...anyway in Sept X1 is going to be available pretty much everywhere so i expect full integration into our MS accounts by then.

This was one of the first things that struck me as just ridiculous. However, i then realized this is because X1 has been completely separated from the rest of our MS accounts to enable imports, due to the small number of official launch locations. It's the first MS device where the device locale and account locale can be completely different. It also ushered global XBL Gold accounts, which no one noticed and no one at MS thought was important enough to mention.

The situation is very silly when you can't see activity or achievements on friggin Xbox.com, but at the same time it nonetheless tallies gamerscore earned on X1. But because i understand why they did, it's not so bad...anyway in Sept X1 is going to be available pretty much everywhere so i expect full integration into our MS accounts by then.

Didn't realize that was why it hasn't happened yet. Still quite ridiculous. They really got nothing right with the XB1 launch, but at least now they're fixing it... month by month.

• Like 1

Didn't realize that was why it hasn't happened yet. Still quite ridiculous. They really got nothing right with the XB1 launch, but at least now they're fixing it... month by month.

Not integrating their flagship device into our existing accounts seems grossly illogical, and they also did not properly advertise why they were doing things this way, which has caused a lot of confusion and mistrust. But my personal belief is that their hearts are in the right place and i know from many people around the world that this has enabled good X1 sales in locales where it's officially not available yet, which has made many gamers happy.

So i accept the situation. It's not that bad honestly, just download the SmarGlass app (of course NOT the same as the 360 SmartGlass app :laugh: ) and it even tells you how long you've played each game, your latest activities in that game, etc. Pretty cool while we wait for proper integration.

lol, i just had not really played with the avatar tile, and i just figured that our avatars were popping up under our profile, but i was wrong.

Its just pretty upsetting because i have some really cool avatar props i have received from buying things and finishing games.  :iiam: 

lol, i just had not really played with the avatar tile, and i just figured that our avatars were popping up under our profile, but i was wrong.

Its just pretty upsetting because i have some really cool avatar props i have received from buying things and finishing games.  :iiam: 

Yeah i know, for the time being those remain on your 360/WP/Win 8, X1 is not too fond of those....a new era, time to put away childish things - until an update allows us to pick them up again :pacifier:

The 360 used to be able to have a separate device locale that was different from the account then they changed it in an update. And everyone got local language for better or worse wether they wanted it or not.

The 360 used to be able to have a separate device locale that was different from the account then they changed it in an update. And everyone got local language for better or worse wether they wanted it or not.

When was this updated? Maybe i didn't try it at the time. I know that when i changed my account locale, everything on my 360 dashboard changed as well, it did not stay on the previous locale. But maybe i didn't try all the available options. Was not aware the 360 could do this as well, i thought it was like Windows 8 and Windows Phone, where device locale is set by account locale. When i mean set, i mean content and services. Not the time or something, obviously that's independent.

EDIT: sorry, read it too quickly. You mean 360 was able to do it then they stopped it? When was this? Anyway, i fully expect X1 to follow suit, the current openness will likely not remain when global availability is established.

Some time ago, not quite sure when.

It didn't affect much but it used to have a locale setting and a largely ignored language setting.(yeah ubisoft, I'm looking at you)

Some time ago, not quite sure when.

It didn't affect much but it used to have a locale setting and a largely ignored language setting.(yeah ubisoft, I'm looking at you)

Yes, that was in 2011 or so. You mean when you changed account locale it also forced a language change for some things regardless of what language your console was set to, right? I don't know if X1 does that, my locale is defined as English by MS (US), and the console is also set to English.

Avatars are retained on the Xbox One for Kinect games as well as indie and arcade games so developers have a universal personalized avatar.

Yes, that was in 2011 or so. You mean when you changed account locale it also forced a language change for some things regardless of what language your console was set to, right? I don't know if X1 does that, my locale is defined as English by MS (US), and the console is also set to English.

Unlike the later 360 updates, the X1 is supposed to let you set locale/language locally, so just because you're in Norway you don't get Norwegian, or worse the countries like Belgium and such which have like 3 different language and the xbox is automatically set to one of them which only one third at best speak. Never mind the fact that europe has people from all over europe living in each other countries and working. without knowing the local language...

Unlike the later 360 updates, the X1 is supposed to let you set locale/language locally, so just because you're in Norway you don't get Norwegian, or worse the countries like Belgium and such which have like 3 different language and the xbox is automatically set to one of them which only one third at best speak. Never mind the fact that europe has people from all over europe living in each other countries and working. without knowing the local language...

That's definitely a step in the right direction, Windows lets you choose any language you want no matter where you are. Assuming someone reads a certain language just because of where they live is a little too strict for an entertainment device, especially if the OS is available in the language the user wants. On 360 once I switched account locale to my Pacific location, the 360 UI changed from English to another language. Force changing it back to English only affected non-store stuff, like settings. Store content remained in the new language.

From what i can tell, X1 doesn't do any of this - but maybe i'm getting you wrong. You could be in Japan, have a Norway XBL account, and have the console set to Turkish. I think this is fine on X1, unlike 360.

Not integrating their flagship device into our existing accounts seems grossly illogical, and they also did not properly advertise why they were doing things this way, which has caused a lot of confusion and mistrust. But my personal belief is that their hearts are in the right place and i know from many people around the world that this has enabled good X1 sales in locales where it's officially not available yet, which has made many gamers happy.

So i accept the situation. It's not that bad honestly, just download the SmarGlass app (of course NOT the same as the 360 SmartGlass app :laugh: ) and it even tells you how long you've played each game, your latest activities in that game, etc. Pretty cool while we wait for proper integration.

I agree with what you said but everything after that word was read in a different voice than usual  :rofl:

Spock,_2267.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with what you said but everything after that word was read in a different voice than usual  :rofl:

Thank you James, but perchance could you tell me what is the usual voice you read my posts in? This maybe?

post-121333-0-51886300-1401759408.png