I noticed this game has kicked your ass X number of times now

wasn't ever a fan of those games either

Games with Decent save points that were not like that which I played all the way through and loved every minute of it

Super Metroid (to be fair I passed it on an emulator with save states)

Link to the past (played on SNES)

Super Mario World. (Played on SNES)

Zelda Wind Waker (played the Game Cube Game Via Wii) AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING Game.

Beyond Good and Evil

Games I played but never passed

Mass Effect 1 (played it for a good 10 hours, then got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go, lost interested)

Luigi's Mansion, I remember loving that game but I must have got stuck or something because I never went back.

Metroid the other M

Twilight Princess, I remember putting quite a few hours into but remember thinking the game was stupid, the wolf section was dumb

I grew up on SEGA, you had three choices: beat the game, give up or hardware pause. :)

wut, new words enterd the censor word list, i'm sure i seen what that word before it was censord.

Correct, we've been working on it today to reflect the new rule change made in April. Instead of manually correcting words which slipped through, we can now concentrate on words where members bypass the filter.

Also remember not to self-censor and to let the filter do its job. If a word can be deciphered/guessed after attempts to mask (i.e one letter asterixed out of 4), you will earn a warning. That goes for poorly scored out words in images too.

Now that has been cleared up, back on topic please (Y). Any more Qs about the rule and you can contact myself and other staff.

I really don't understand why games don't just have a dynamic difficulty option by now.

If you're killing everything and barely getting hurt it should automatically get harder.  If you die over and over it should automatically get easier.  That way the game is always challenging for a given user.  This assumes a linear game though.  Oblivion did something like that and it sucked but it's an open world game which works differently.  If you can go back to areas you were at when you were weaker you want them to be weak compared to you so you feel you've progressed.  It's sucks to gear all the way up in uber gear/elite skills then go back to the starting area and see all the little random baddies also in uber gear/elite skills...

Fallout 3/Skyrim actually did this well, open world style, in that the difficulty for a mission was set when you started it and then locked so if it was too hard you can go level and come back later (without the difficulty going up) and if you do the mission at low level it's easier for you but if I do it at high level then the difficulty is higher for me even though it's theoretically the same mission.

Or perhaps they are wondering why someone would want their game to automatically get difficult if they're having a great time overcoming opponents with relative ease. Do you want them to have this power...over you? (still waiting for someone to get my Bane jokes)

Much more gratifying to do it yourself (Y)

I've been saying this for ages - and practicing what i preach, too!

Or perhaps they are wondering why someone would want their game to automatically get difficult if they're having a great time overcoming opponents with relative ease.

Because some people actually enjoy overcoming a challenge. If you cake walk through the whole game it becomes boring very quickly to us. We get a much greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction if we narrowly edge past a boss we lost to a few times before than if we just stomp all over everyone that crosses our path. It's still no fun if we get beat dozens of time by the same boss and just can't get past him but we want there to be SOME challenge so a few loses here and there are fine. That's a hard balance to reach though, especially with a fixed difficulty level as the players skill changes during the course of the game as well. So a dynamic difficulty OPTION would be a nice thing to have I would think... note I said OPTION because as with anything no single setting is going to make everyone happy. It would be nice if you could CHOOSE to set the difficulty to dynamic though but I've never even seen a game offer the choice.

Do you want them to have this power...over you? (still waiting for someone to get my Bane jokes)

If it's an option you choose what power do they have over you. How is that more then the power they already have over you with the pre-set difficulty options?

Because some people actually enjoy overcoming a challenge. If you cake walk through the whole game it becomes boring very quickly to us. We get a much greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction if we narrowly edge past a boss we lost to a few times before than if we just stomp all over everyone that crosses our path. It's still no fun if we get beat dozens of time by the same boss and just can't get past him but we want there to be SOME challenge so a few loses here and there are fine. That's a hard balance to reach though, especially with a fixed difficulty level as the players skill changes during the course of the game as well. So a dynamic difficulty OPTION would be a nice thing to have I would think... note I said OPTION because as with anything no single setting is going to make everyone happy. It would be nice if you could CHOOSE to set the difficulty to dynamic though but I've never even seen a game offer the choice.

If it's an option you choose what power do they have over you. How is that more then the power they already have over you with the pre-set difficulty options?

Do you feel in charge? Man relax, those were Bane references!

And i know all about enjoying a challenge and balance - that's why Dark Souls 2 is my game of the year so far, because it nails that balance so perfectly. And as long as this dynamic difficulty is an option, then why not? Developers are free to do what they want and no one is forcing us to buy anything. It's just a matter of context. What i said is that in a more linear game difficulty spikes are bad because they don't just challenge you, they literally block you. I understand the joy of trying new tactics and overcoming challenges for sure, but only to a point - there's enough challenge in life as it is, gaming is my relief from that. But everyone's different, many find relief in challenge, i fully understand.

I've actually seen this option in other games before.  I don't remember right off hand, but I think Dante's Inferno, God of War, maybe the Bioshock games I'm not sure.  Nifty thing about the Bioshock games is you can change the difficulty at any time, and then just turn it back up once you get past the hard part.

I've actually seen this option in other games before.  I don't remember right off hand, but I think Dante's Inferno, God of War, maybe the Bioshock games I'm not sure.  Nifty thing about the Bioshock games is you can change the difficulty at any time, and then just turn it back up once you get past the hard part.

Changing difficulty at any time of course is a standard in many titles, it's the only reason i had the patience to finish Last of Us...those cabbage heads were just too much for me.

What we're talking about is dynamic difficulty that changes automatically without letting you know, sort of like opponent leveling but going both ways.