Ex-PlayStation Chief Jack Tretton To Analyze All Of E3 2014's Big Shows

Well, this should be interesting.

Jack Tretton, the former boss for all of PlayStation's business in America and the man who led numerous E3 PlayStation press conferences?including last year's thunderous one?will be spending E3 2014 press conference day talking about Sony's, EA's, Ubisoft's and even Microsoft's grand stage shows.

That news comes from Geoff Keighley, who has secured Tretton as a "special correspondent" for Spike TV's "All Access" June 9 marathon coverage of the year's biggest day of gaming news. Tretton will be providing his analysis for each of the day's big press conferences. As in years past, Keighley will anchor coverage and will welcome other panelists, including industry analyst Michael Pachter and, as in years past, editors of the site you're reading right now.

For those not in the know, press conference day is usually a huge day for gaming news. Microsoft and Sony both run hour-plus stage shows that tell people what to expect from Xbox and PlayStation for the year to come. EA and Ubisoft run shorter but often newsworthy showcases as well. (Nintendo traditionally would put on a stage show the morning after but has switched since last year to offering a streamed digital show instead.)

Coverage of the big June 9 events will begin at noon eastern on Spike, leading into the Microsoft press conference, with EA, Ubisoft and Sony's to follow. That'll be 11 hours of coverage, running on Spike TV through 5pm and embedded on websites, including GameTrailers.com, Spike.com and Kotaku for the full run. It'll be on Xbox Live, too.

Here's Tretton: "Since I dropped the mic last year on Spike I thought it was only appropriate to pick it back up for E3 this year! I've been to every E3 but this year I'm excited to see the show through a different lens with the team at Spike. I'll be watching the news and announcements unfold alongside the fans and the rest of the industry, and I can't wait to see the new games that everyone is bringing to the table."

Technically, it was more of a mic toss, Jack, but, still, this'll be fun.

Maybe this means Agent can be asked about one last time? :p

Maybe this means Agent can be asked about one last time? :p

+1 last mic drop :p

To add, it was announced yesterday that he joined some AI company. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/29/former-scea-ceo-jack-tretton-joins-ai-tech-company?%3A+ign%2Fall+%28IGN+All%29

Surprised it wasn't TV related.

Cool, he is is a pretty entertaining guy. The mic drop was epic :laugh:

As long as he can give some balanced views based on his time in the industry, I look forward to watching his coverage.

Cool, he is is a pretty entertaining guy. The mic drop was epic :laugh:

As long as he can give some balanced views based on his time in the industry, I look forward to watching his coverage.

He will always be a Sony man at heart, but it will be interesting to see if he comes out his shell now as a "neutral".

I missed the mike tossing thing last year, was it for any particular reason?

He will always be a Sony man at heart, but it will be interesting to see if he comes out his shell now as a "neutral".

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. Sometimes opinions can change a bit after you leave a company.

Considering his history with Sony, I kind of doubt his opinions will have changed much, but will he try to be more open to the other companies?

We will see.  still, he has a great personality for this kind of thing.

I missed the mike tossing thing last year, was it for any particular reason?

It was at the end of an interview at E3. He decided to put a very emphatic period on it all with the mic drop :laugh:

It was hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

That has to feel weird :laugh:

Not that I think these guys ever really disliked each other (any sign of that was probably just a show), but hanging out with someone that you had little to no dealings with up till now has to feel a bit strange. Someone that was driving a competing brand is now a member of the media.