Doctor Strange finds a Director In Scott Derrickson

uhslhx.png

Marvel Studios may still be in a scramble to find Edgar Wright's replacement on Ant-Man, but apparently Kevin Feige and co. have found a director to helm their other original, long-developed, "Phase Three" adaptation. According to both Variety and other sources, Scott Derrickson has signed on to direct the big-screen adaptation of Doctor Strange. "Negotiations are still early," reveals the trade magazine, "but sources say he is Marvel?s choice and a deal should be struck shortly." Scott Derrickson's directing credits include supernatural horrors Sinister , remakes The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Deliver Us from Evil, as well as The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). While he also received writing credits on those flicks, The Hollywood Reporter adds that Marvel is also seeking a writer for Doctor Strange and that Kung Fu Panda scribes Jon Aibel & Glenn Berger are in the mix.

For years, Kevin Feige has expressed a strong desire to bring Doctor Stephen Strange to the big-screen and finally introduce magic and sorcery in the ever-growing Marvel Cinematic Universe. The producer even allowed the directors of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Joe and Anthony Russo, to include a direct reference to the character during their political thriller sequel. Anyhow, we do not yet know when exactly Doctor Strange will grace the silver screen, but after Captain America 3, Disney has untitled Marvel movies scheduled for release July 8th, 2016 and May 5, 2017. And San Diego Comic-Con is likely where Marvel will officially announce the project.

Source

jared-leto-variety.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=

In an article reporting the director announcement, the site says that they "have also heard that Marvel likes (or liked, I don?t know what the current status of this is) Jared Leto for Stephen Strange." The article speculates that the entirety of Phase Three will be unveiled at San Diego Comic-Con this year, and says to "expect Derrickson - and whoever is playing Strange - to take that [Hall H] stage."

Source

jared-leto-variety.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=

In an article reporting the director announcement, the site says that they "have also heard that Marvel likes (or liked, I don?t know what the current status of this is) Jared Leto for Stephen Strange." The article speculates that the entirety of Phase Three will be unveiled at San Diego Comic-Con this year, and says to "expect Derrickson - and whoever is playing Strange - to take that [Hall H] stage."

Source

While I do not like his music in the slightest, Leto is at least a decent actor. I think I could warm up to casting him as Strange.

Great news that they have found a director! Not too sure about Leto getting the role though. He's a great actor, but for such a movie?

• 2 months later...

Marvel's Doctor Strange Movie Will Not Be An Origin Story

Devin Faraci of Badass Digest appeared on Meet The Movie Press alongside Mark Reilly and Jeff Sneider. There, he revealed, Dr. Strange is not an origin story.

"So, for Dr. Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Dr. Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, On his own, without any of the previous stuff. Not even touching the previous script." - Devin Faraci

So Feige says it's a Origin story..

With Strange, it is a classic Marvel origin story because he?s got one of the best origins ever. And it?s our opportunity to take that left turn into the supernatural. Now, what is the definition of supernatural? It varies. We like the idea of playing with alternate dimensions. The very sort of crazy ? [steve] Ditko crazy acid trip way of traveling through dimensions and traveling through other realms is something that we think is very, very cool ? playing with the perceptions of reality.

http://screenrant.com/kevin-feige-doctor-strange-acide-trip-cosmos-degrasse-tyson/

• 5 weeks later...

Out of all the marvel movies, this is the one I'm most looking forward to. I've always been a fan of Dr Steven Strange and his storyline. Kudos to Marvel for going through with it.

• 1 month later...

PERFECT!!

http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-movie-cast-862815/

Benedict Cumberbatch To Play ?Doctor Strange?

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel has finally found its Doctor Strange. I?m hearing Benedict Cumberbatch is the studio?s choice for the superhero pic, and negotiations are about to begin. The news comes after talks with Joaquin Phoenix around the time of Comic-Con went south, and Marvel went back to the drawing board. With names like Jared Leto and Tom Hardy also in the mix, this is obviously a coveted role. I expect this deal to make.

Cumberbatch is in the Oscar hunt this year for The Imitation Game, the Alan Turing biopic that the Weinstein Co is priming for a November 21 release. His hot streak has included winning the Emmy for playing Sherlock Holmes on the BBC/PBS hit Sherlock.

>

• Like 1

Give me a comparison of Benedict Cumberbatch and Doctor Strange's Faces to see how accurate Benedict Cumberbatch is in being Doctor Strange before letting me decide first.

Nope. Still Can't see Doctor Stephen Strange's face in Benedict Cumberbatch. I can probably only see Cumberbatch's Mouth being the same as Doctor Strange's So far.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor and can easily play a variety of different characters, except as Dr. Strange.  Being old enough to remember the very first appearances in Strange Tales in the early '60s I believe, IMO, that there are others that would be able to bring Dr. Strange alive on the big screen. 

Viggo Mortensen - my first choice sometime ago when I first heard about this movie being made. His face, eyes and presence.

hGkX29z.jpg

Tom Hiddleston - He has the presence, the voice and the stature. And he is a very good actor.

yxoPG0U.jpg

Mark Strong - Again great presence, voice and stature and the strong face, also an excellent actor.

wqpUsf5.jpg