OS X 10.10 Yosemite Findings - Tips

So anyone who updated to 10.10 beta1 lets discuss the changes you are finding..  

How do you enable dark mode?

I don't think it's in the DP.

are we  allowed to. just think NDA thing and stuff (in case Neowin tells us not too). I have found something witht the iPhone and OS X.

If you don't care for the new transparency effects in various apps, you can disable it by going to: System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display.

No 'dark mode' yet, but I'm looking forward to it trying it out.

I just want to know if its possible to go back to the mavericks UI, I am not a fan of this flat UI crap. If the NDA prevents you from saying so just PM me instead.

I just want to know if its possible to go back to the mavericks UI, I am not a fan of this flat UI crap. If the NDA prevents you from saying so just PM me instead.

It's not.

Enabling trim for non apple SSD's is a train wreck, thankfully Cindori has a fix:

http://www.cindori.org/enabling-trim-on-os-x-yosemite/

imovie is broke.

Handoff is broke.

Aperture "kinda" works.

iphoto "kinda" works.

Some settings need to be applied 2 or more times before the changes are permanently accepted.

The Yosemite crown jewel IMO is Safari 8.0, even with its alpha status problems it's by far the best Safari version I have ever used due to its speed and ability to handle plugins without slowing down.

Transparency is nice but the flat look is horrible, especially the flat dock, reminds me of OS9.

For Hackintoshers, 10.10 supports AMD's R9 series of GPUs!

However, support for legacy BIOSes (lowest-end Hackintoshes) is currently missing; fortunately, it's quite installable in Fusion in the meantime.

So even the Hackintoshes have it better than real Apple Macs do (yes; still more Macs are curbed with Yosemite than was the case with even Mavericks).

Look at the hardware requirements of Yosemite DP1 compared with Mavericks - all is NOT good on the real Mac front.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/04/os-x-yosemite-runs-on-same-macs-as-mavericks-but-ios-8-drops-support-for-iphone-4

The system requirements for Yosemite listed by Apple are identical to those for Mavericks, which means that the following systems will be able to run OS X 10.10:

• MacBook Pro: mid-2007 or newer
  • MacBook Air: late 2008 or newer
  • iMac: mid-2007 or newer
  • Mac mini: early 2009 or newer
  • Mac Pro: early 2008 or newer
  • MacBook: late 2008 aluminum, early 2009 or newer
  • Xserve: early 2009

That means the hardware requirements for Apple's latest Mac operating system have been unchanged for two years, as last year Apple did not change the requirements from the upgrade to Mountain Lion to Mavericks.

so I am connected to an external LED monitor through HDMI cable from my macbook pro and notice that the transparency isn't as good on the LED as it is on the actual laptop screen. I have both open and looking back and forth. hmm.. wonder if its just my monitor ?

If you don't care for the new transparency effects in various apps, you can disable it by going to: System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display..

Yeah, but it also disables menu bar transparency. And this one I like, only window transparency is too "flashy" for me.

It's really graphically intensive though. Things like Mission Control weren't fast on Mavericks on my Mac Mini with a 9400M, now they're just slideshows instead of animations.

It's really graphically intensive though. Things like Mission Control weren't fast on Mavericks on my Mac Mini with a 9400M, now they're just slideshows instead of animations.

It works fine on my lowly 2013 Macbook Air with Intel HD5000 graphics.

The most improved app in Yosemite has to be Safari 8. It's blazingly fast, and the new UI looks and works pretty damn well. Some may object to the URL bar only showing the domain rather than the full URL. Personally I don't mind it.

not sure if i will update my hackintoshes to 10.10 anytime soon... seems very very very "childish"for me just as ios8, just my opinion anyway.. OSX always had a professional look for me but not anymore.. and wtf is this dock background, cmon! maybe the dark mode will save us all

not sure if i will update my hackintoshes to 10.10 anytime soon... seems very very very "childish"for me just as ios8, just my opinion anyway.. OSX always had a professional look for me but not anymore.. and wtf is this dock background, cmon! maybe the dark mode will save us all

Maybe if you used it, it would mean something.

I felt the same way, started using it, and besides the transparency that I don't notice anyway, I love yosemite. Everything about it. I am using it actively in my job (IT Sys Admin for a SMB) and at home, no problems what so ever. I did crash safari which caused my computer to come to a halt, but I was able to be back in 5 minutes without restarting / hard rebooting and submitted a nice bug report.

But, I agree dark mode is going to make it better. Im glad Apple's finally going Dark. I've loved thinks like candybar, obsidian, etc, But they weren't natively so some things just never worked right.

As far as the new dock background, I like it a lot more then the old glass dock. I don't know why but I just do. I think the flat look over the holographic 3D look is just easier on the eyes. I also LOVE how fast the dock is. Biggest thing I love about yosemite is the Typography. On my 27" TB display and on my retina mbp in 1920*1200 mode, I can finally see all the things! Its crisper, sharper and cleaner. Best way I can describe it.

~snipped~

Way much better support than current Chromium and Nightly and not to mention Internet Explorer needs to speedup now..

Well, really heart broken after seeing no improvement in OpenGL support, they should have gone with at least OpenGL 4.3 till support. Hopefully they add support in new DPs.

Maybe if you used it, it would mean something.

I felt the same way, started using it, and besides the transparency that I don't notice anyway, I love yosemite. Everything about it. I am using it actively in my job (IT Sys Admin for a SMB) and at home, no problems what so ever. I did crash safari which caused my computer to come to a halt, but I was able to be back in 5 minutes without restarting / hard rebooting and submitted a nice bug report.

But, I agree dark mode is going to make it better. Im glad Apple's finally going Dark. I've loved thinks like candybar, obsidian, etc, But they weren't natively so some things just never worked right.

As far as the new dock background, I like it a lot more then the old glass dock. I don't know why but I just do. I think the flat look over the holographic 3D look is just easier on the eyes. I also LOVE how fast the dock is. Biggest thing I love about yosemite is the Typography. On my 27" TB display and on my retina mbp in 1920*1200 mode, I can finally see all the things! Its crisper, sharper and cleaner. Best way I can describe it.

yeah i am running 10.10 on a old mac @ work. No probs with transparency, feels nice actually.. didnt liked some of the icons and colors, that was what i was saying. no major stuff, but i do find they very ugly hahaha the background system is very very nice indeed.

yeah i am running 10.10 on a old mac @ work. No probs with transparency, feels nice actually.. didnt liked some of the icons and colors, that was what i was saying. no major stuff, but i do find they very ugly hahaha the background system is very very nice indeed.

Biggest problem I have, which only irks me because its Mac, is the + button now full screens instead of just making the window bigger. I HATE that! I love being able to make whatever window I have as big as it can go, or will up the screen. I loved when they added fullscreen mode / fullscreen arrows in the top right corner in Lion. Now I'm kind of upset :(.

I was meaning to ask others this weekend if they experience this, so this is the perfect time, do you have the same "problem"? I hope it can be disabled I just can't find the option.

EDIT: Of course the minute I post, I figure it out. You can hold down ALT for the + to show back up. I noticed the icon is actually the dual fullscreen arrows, once I noticed that, I held down ALT and it changed to the plus, so I'm back to being happy again.

Way much better support than current Chromium and Nightly and not to mention Internet Explorer needs to speedup now..

Well, really heart broken after seeing no improvement in OpenGL support, they should have gone with at least OpenGL 4.3 till support. Hopefully they add support in new DPs

Same here, kind of disapointed about the OpenGL support. Mavericks added 4.1, so I had hoped 10.10 would at least support 4.2.