More Than 45 New Apps Coming to Xbox

More Than 45 New Apps Coming to Xbox

As of the latest Xbox One system update, currently rolling out worldwide, everyone with an Xbox has access to all of our available entertainment experiences. And that lengthy list is about to get significantly longer ? today we?re pleased to announce that our app catalog will increase by nearly 25%, bringing the tally to more than 225 apps around the world.

One addition I?d like to highlight is the way Twitter will be integrated into Xbox One?s TV experience. U.S. viewers will have the ability to see Tweets related to whatever cable or satellite TV shows you?re watching as they?re happening. Take a look:

Source: http://majornelson.com/

Rolling out these apps is a must for MS. The more coverage, the better to really hammer home the idea of using the X1 as your all-in-one device.

There are several there that I plan to use myself. Twitter sounds like a cool concept for those that use it. I don't use it myself, so it won't really apply to me.

UK Xbox One users get 11 apps...

Crunchyroll

Filmbox Live

GoPro

KDrama

MLG

NBA

NHL

Now TV

Sky News

TuneIn

Vevo

I know people complain about how "US only" things are but when it comes to media streaming apps like these, there's little MS can do, it's not their streaming service like Xbox Music or Video.  I still see a good chunk of things coming to places outside the US, and in many cases there are apps that won't be in the US at all as well.

I know people complain about how "US only" things are but when it comes to media streaming apps like these, there's little MS can do, it's not their streaming service like Xbox Music or Video. I still see a good chunk of things coming to places outside the US, and in many cases there are apps that won't be in the US at all as well.

Agreed, but what's up with Twitter not being on the list?

Twitter is going to be built in to the OneGuide or something.

Twitter is in the full list and marked as US only.

Also...

"Twitter will be directly integrated into Xbox One?s TV experience in the U.S."

Also...

I'm guessing it's just to start, and will rollout over time as they better rollout the OneGuide as well.

I'm guessing integrating that twitter stuff into OneGuide would be tricky outside of the US. Here in the UK for instance, we generally buy shows from America for display on various TV channels, mostly on Sky. The hashtags for our conversations around episodes won't necessarily match the "official" hash tags on those shows' original networks over in the US. The showtimes would also be entirely different, so the current tweets would all be out of whack, potentially resulting in spoilers as we're generally behind the US on each episode, by at least a day.

I'm guessing it's just to start, and will rollout over time as they better rollout the OneGuide as well.

Yeah, no doubt.

I'm guessing integrating that twitter stuff into OneGuide would be tricky outside of the US. Here in the UK for instance, we generally buy shows from America for display on various TV channels, mostly on Sky. The hashtags for our conversations around episodes won't necessarily match the "official" hash tags on those shows' original networks over in the US. The showtimes would also be entirely different, so the current tweets would all be out of whack, potentially resulting in spoilers as we're generally behind the US on each episode, by at least a day.

I think I see where you are coming from, I never really thought about somebody having to curate what hashtags and therefore tweets are displayed for each show.

I suppose if a show is being aired on UK TV (and there are plenty of other things on, apart from US imports), then people will be tweeting about it. Whatever hashtags are doing the rounds at the time, are what people will use. And because of the time zone, I won't be seeing floods of tweets from the US regarding a particular show at 8pm GMT.

I wondered why Sky player had been acting up in recent weeks. I guess the switch behind the scenes going on explains it. Interesting they're opting to only release NowTV in it's place with a second app for News.

Shame about Twitter too. No reason that should be a delayed release outside of US. Although, I'm not likely to use it very much. Tweetbot > * :P

Clearly the best app on the list goes to STV. AB and I approve ;)

Love TuneIn but the recent update to make it a social media platform is unwelcomed. Just another half assed platform nobody will care about. Stick to what you're good at. Luckily the apps are still great at their primary function regardless of the included fluff.

Wonder where GameTrailers app is or even the LEP. Maybe E3 will just appear as a tile on the front of the dash...

Also...

They're still working on it for the UK. I hear the UK is very tricky with these TV licences. One Briton told me he got pulled over by police for watching television without a licence.

They're still working on it for the UK. I hear the UK is very tricky with these TV licences. One Briton told me he got pulled over by police for watching television without a licence.

I think I'd pull someone over if they were watching tv whilst driving too :rofl: :P

But yes, if you want to watch live tv in the UK you need a TV license. Catch up services and on demand don't however require it.

I think I'd pull someone over if they were watching tv whilst driving too :rofl: :p

In his defence, he was driving in Forza 5 with the TV app snapped to the side!

• Like 1