Valve delibrately leaked HL2

Agree/Disagree?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Agree/Disagree?

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • It's Possible/Unsure

Actually what senior said makes a lot of sense,

Since they have a contract with ATI, if they were to fault, it would cost them millions if not more,

Basically, if ATI could not ship their radeon cards with HL2 it would alter their projected earnings and fudge up their financial statements costing ATI millions in terms of equity from shareholders.

Then Valve would have to come up with some stupiid ass excuse to cover up for it, liikee... their source code being stolen? This way, the market would not assume the loss in EPS (earnings per share) was the result of valve, and not ATI itself - which would keep their market price from dropping

Basically, I'm beginning to think Valve didn't finish, needed a last minute excuse, gave away some incomplete source code, and now they have time, an exucse, and no physcial tangbible loss at this point.

Yup...you sell exponentionally more cards when there is a reason to use them.

Even the vouchers expired before the came was slated for re release..

I am sure if Valve was faulted out of the contract...ATI could have made a case against them in court for damages. Valve would have been responsible for not holding up their end of the agreement. because it is probably resulting in poor sales cuz people have no reason to upgrade yet..

If it was some faceless hacker no one is at fault but the security firm and how much money can u squeek out of them..

someone explain to me how this opens up their game to hackers? oooo what are they gonna do? give themselves unlimited health? wooptidoo, there will be trainers anyway

No, they'll find buffer overflows in the server software and use it to root machines. That's the sort of problem we're talking about...

yeah... like ati is going to go and do anything drastic to a company that could quite easily make their game more compatible with nvidia based cards and make it run like **** on a radeon ;p

the hardware industry, especially graphics card makers, NEED the developers to develop if they want to sell their cards.... ati isnt in a position to say, hey valve, **** you guys we want money... what would you do if you were valve? hand over hte money and then make an exclusivity deal with nvidia for the same amount? or maybe just threaten to make one? :p

No, they'll find buffer overflows in the server software and use it to root machines. That's the sort of problem we're talking about...

well that's the stuff that they have to ensure doesn't exist in the first place

Isnt it kinda funny that this annon, that NO ONE has ever heard of prior and after the source code was stolen, hacked into the most antisipated game of the year, and possibly ever, and stole only a fragment of the source.

No one knows who he is for a reason: He's anonymous. If you stole code from Microsoft, would you want your name all over it so you could be sued and sent to jail? He's probably someone with a name inside the hacking community, but I know I wouldn't want my name plastered all over this sort of case...

where does quick reply come up with these stupid topics. no offense pal.

i actually thaught of this one myself a few weeks ago :happy:

the others are just rumours I've heard and are most probably BS

yeah... like ati is going to go and do anything drastic to a company that could quite easily make their game more compatible with nvidia based cards and make it run like **** on a radeon ;p

the hardware industry, especially graphics card makers, NEED the developers to develop if they want to sell their cards.... ati isnt in a position to say, hey valve, **** you guys we want money... what would you do if you were valve? hand over hte money and then make an exclusivity deal with nvidia for the same amount? or maybe just threaten to make one? :p

If it's worth the money yes,

ATI has reason to sue, Because Valve won't deliver.

If Valve were to strike back, it would look petty and damage their reputation.

Besides, I don't think it would be easy to make HL2 more Nvidia specified.

BUT

that's not the issue, the issue is this:

Valve is worried about ruining their relationship with ATI and breaking the contract (Illegal).

They aren't so worried about ATI doing something so drastic, but Valve wouldn't take taht kind of chance.

If Valve doesn't deliver, ATI is gonna get mad cheesed. this is gonna cause a ****load of problems, so why not release some code to defer the execution? ATI isn't going to blame Valve , instead ATI is going to be understanding.

Source code is leaked, my friend has it (shhhhh), but he tells me it isn't much worth to script kiddies,

Maybe other companies, but for them to use the physics would go too far. It's blatant stealing.

Anyways, assuming that valve wasn't ready

Did not leak code: Delay ****es everyone off, No one trust valve to deliver on time, ATI gets mad ****ed, Market shares go down, and Valve FOR THAT YEAR, will lose money and funding

Ezewong.. i put two and two together a long time ago..

I saw the release date and it was coming up quick... and there was no indication that the game was even close to going gold..

I was surprised more people didnt think along the lines I did..

Let's say even now..if ATI took Valve to court for breach of contract...Valve would have the code leak as external, unforseeable justification of delay..now ATI would have to go after the security firm employed for losses...or seek the hacker him/herself..

It all just seems too convienent.. Better watch out.. I may be offed by Valve's henchmen..

While it is possible, there would be little benefit from Valve.

Leaking the source code wouldn't be good in any case scenario, from how I see it. I mean, if they were going to take that big of a risk just to delay the game then it'd be stupid.

ANON = anymous...

there are thousands of people that come up with exploits that people never hear of...

Valve leaking it themselves? I doubt it but this I how I think it MIGHT'VE happened if someone in valve did leak it:

An employee of Valve sent Gabe the e-mail exploit, or had someone else do it. They leaked it to warezx (On the rizon server, the ones who first got the HL2 leak)... They sent the exploit e-mail so Valve would focus there instead on an internal leak.

but I really think a hacker sent the exploit so they could get HL2 which is one of the most anticipated games of all time... As I said before, anybody could've done this. They don't need to be an 1337 hax0r that is incredibly famous, because as far as I'm concered there aren't any modern hackers that are famous. The only one I can think of is Kevin Mitnick, but he's not modern and any modern hacker could've done what he did back then.

I just hope that they finish the game soon, no matter if part of it leaked or not.

The only thing i'm sure of...hl2 will kick ass!!! :ninja:

Hope they don't delay it anymore, whatever the reasons are... :no:

If anyone of you that are claiming that the Beta that was leaked was a pos, did you actually download and play with it.

It had alot of problems, incomplete levels, not everything was reflective in surface water. the level with the walkers didn't have any people, items, or the walkers working. and many other quirks.

I still stand by the belief that this was pre-E3 demo, like a peice that they had been working on prior to E3 or something. and that they could very well of been close to their sept30 release or at the latest sometime during november.

OK, let me clear this whole leaked beta thing up, THE GUY GOT... ready for this

1.Most of the source code

2.Most of the Resources

3.A little bit of the actual game

NOW what he did put the source and resources togther and complied it, There the first release then the patch he made was when he was able to get some of the real game working with the compiled verson, so it ran a bit better, one way you know this is true because the sorce code that leaked had DirectX missing, or half missing anyways, but opengl was in tact, we know for a fact valve favored DirectX for hl2, and that DirectX was missing from the "leaked" game part, also if it was complied he could of easly change something in the code to say "4 days to Septemeber whatever" right, and last for all we know he hated valve and wanted to make them look bad.

It's Possible but im not sure theyd do it. i said yes, because its an excuse for getting a time extemsion cause they werent even done. i mean, its beggining to be a habit of valve at not releasing stuff on time.

they did it alright - it's from anonymous? usually hackers want their nickname recognized so they can say they are l33t and stuff. and the source code may not even be in the retail version of the game, it's probably taken from the really early stages of production.

He did go on to name himself: Osama Bin Leaker

Do I think it was leaked, yes. Only reason being is that they would get "something" out there so "true gamers alike" could see what is in store for them. Meaning, I believe that they were not finished, but they had some sort of working copy. They prolly have a team of people who read forums just like this to see things like "hey i get texture errors with this card or sound probs with this card." They already know it will sell like hotcakes, there is no doubt about that. I mean, when XP was beta, let me see a show of hands of those who use that as their primary OS. We feel comforted by having the final build, not some well, iffy product. I only hope they do fix somethings I have read about, but I already know that Doom 3, Splinter Cell 2, Half Life 2, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are going to push the envolope on the gaming industry. Oh, and Medal of Honor Pacific too.

That's only what I think. PONDER on that for a moment while I play some Need For Speed>Underground.