New Hackintosh/Workstation Build - MicroATX Beast

Well it's been a while guys but I thought this would be interesting to people so I'll do this.. I traditionally did this every year or two but I had a year or two of personal issues so I haven't been posting much.

Currently I'm running:

i7 3939k 6-core Sandy Bridge

ASUS Sabertooth X79

Dual GTX 580 SLI

32gb DDR3 1600Mhz RAM Corsair Dominators

Corsair H100i Water Cooling

Cooler Master Cosmos II monster

Seasonic 1050W PSU

Crucial 512 SSD

2x1TB Drives (Time Machine/Cloud Drive and Utility drive)

30" Dell W3007 + 2x24" Dell

so now, it's been a year or so since I built this machine and don't want to wait too long so I can get some money back from selling it so I've decided to get rid of it and build a new microATX updated version.

So this new microATX build will be for work (graphics/coding/video editing and basically professional work) and it will run OSX Mavericks and Windows 8.1.

The new build will be:

i7 4930k 6-core Ivy Bridge

ASUS Rampage IV Gene X79 microATX

32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz

Corsair AX860W Platinum (full modular)

ASUS GTX 780 Poseidon 3gb

Corsair H100i Water Cooling (with Cougar silent fans)

2x Samsung 840 EVO 256gb in RAID0 (OSX system)

Samsung 840 512gb (Windows 8.1 system)

1TB Hybrid HDD/SSD 7200rpm (projects/cloud storage as I upgraded my NAS device as Time Machine/Backup with 4x4TB drives so no need for more storage in the machine)

ASUS OC Panel

Stunningly beautiful brushed aluminum Lian Li PC-V360B (miniATX case)

2x ASUS PB27Q 27" PLS 2560x1440 displays

Razer Black Widow 2014 or Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard (still uncertain)

Razer Mamba 2014 (already own it) but open to suggestions about a great mouse that would fit the matte look of everything i have in black with red hues/lighting.

I've ordered all parts and the case was super hard to find but stay tuned. I'll be doing the whole build and setup with OSX and Windows, overclocking and fine tuning and posting for anyone interested.

My previous build was here if interested to see what the last year's build looked like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bozster/sets/72157632606244768

Hmmm your old processor must be wrong... Sandy bridge processors were in the 2xxx range, Ivy bridge was 3xxx... As for the motherboard for your new computer, I assume you meant Z87 or Z97

Just wondering if you have heard of the "donate you old stuff to a neowinian" campaign?

Probably not, as I have just this second launched it, and therefore get to call first dibs.

I will, of course, pay the postage fees :D

Hmmm your old processor must be wrong... Sandy bridge processors were in the 2xxx range, Ivy bridge was 3xxx... As for the motherboard for your new computer, I assume you meant Z87 or Z97

Nope.. X79 is Intel's current high end chipset. It supports LGA2011 CPU.

i7 3930k is from Sandy Bridge family and is built on 32nm technology.

i7 4930k is Ivy Bridge family and is built on 22nm technology.

Nope.. X79 is Intel's current high end chipset. It supports LGA2011 CPU.

i7 3930k is from Sandy Bridge family and is built on 32nm technology.

i7 4930k is Ivy Bridge family and is built on 22nm technology.

My bad, forgot about extreme processors, wow man you must have alot of money :)

I don't even think you need to upgrade to be honest, however i'm sure you will enjoy the new build either way!

The only upgrade that you'll ever need on that cosmos II rig is the gfx card :p

This is pretty much what I do, sell quickly whilst it is still worth good money.  Spend a little extra and keep current.

Much better than keeping a system 3 years and then finding out it's worthless.

I'm wondering about getting a couple of 1tb ssds but the price of the 512gb at the minute is really good

How does hackintosh get on with raid-0 ?  I'm on 10.9.3 at the minute

How well did OSX run with the previous system? Any issues with updates etc?

Will follow the progress of your current build, so keep the updates coming!!

How well did OSX run with the previous system? Any issues with updates etc?

Will follow the progress of your current build, so keep the updates coming!!

No issue whatsoever.. I usually wait a few days before i do major upgrades like 10.9.2, 10.9.3 but really haven't had any problems. You just usually update the audio driver (kext) and that's about it. 

I'm running 10.9.3 on my current build.. so this one should be pretty awesome with OSX as well.

I think I'm going to go with Corsair RM850 instead of AX860 because I've just gotten an email that the PSU is on backorder and after doing a bit more research RM850 is super silent and considering this build won't be using more than around 50%-60% of the PSU power, RM850 will be completely silent.. Me likey!

Well I went with AXi 960W PSU after all.. It's just an amazing PSU. 

The OC Panel won't work with Rampage boards so that was a disappointment so I have to return it but I ordered something equally cool.

The case arrived and this case is so beautiful, brushed anodized aluminum is SO AMAZING and the case is just amazingly small.

IMG_2217-F4V8DcCQ9T.jpg

Looks like a great build.

I have 2 Samsung 840 Pros in Raid 0 (just fake/software raid) in my iMac, and it's a configuration that I couldn't live without now. They make the SSD in my MBP feel slow!

I love Lian Li cases, my only issue with them is they can sometimes develop a vibrating noise from the fans with it being all aluminium. Great looking build, like to see finished pics with a good wireing job :)

Looking at your images, you're either single or have a very laid back mrs :P

And who says money can't make one happy? MONEY BUYS AWESOME TOYS! :woot:

For sure!!  :)  

But remember, giving money to those who need it is far more satisfactory in general. I have had filling of joy many times when I gave presents to my close friends who couldn't afford something and the expression on their face always makes you happier than anything you can do for yourself ;)

It does.. the bigger issue is that I have to be very careful as the hose pushes the memory fins on the left as I close it.. so I have to push the hose with the finger to slide past the fins.. but it's a bit of a price of this design and the form factor I guess. It's fine though.. I am not going to be opening it non stop, so it should be fine.. when it's closed and running the CPU temps on idle are around 39c so it's cooling ok and the hoses don't obstruct the thermal dynamics too much because the air comes out on top.

LOL.. This is so funny.. Did some benchmarking of the new system

Maxed out new Mac Pro 12 cores ($9,599.00) benchmark scores

image-YuBohFP7xN.png

image-NStuTvtWxi.png

image-qYPBiY9cYu.png

Bozintosh Pro 6-cores (~$1800) benchmark scores:

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%207.26.1

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%207.33.4

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-21%20at%207.39.3

The only Mac Pro that is somewhat faster is this maxed out 12-core one because it has 6 more cores but the difference is not really staggering on CPU performance.  Even with this, my config kills maxed out Mac Pro in single threaded performance.

Bozintosh Pro :) destroyed other configurations of the new Mac Pro.

SAVINGS: $7800

I knew this machine would be fast but this is just awesome.