Camera Recommendation

600-700 at the most.  Maybe a little more.  Have not decided and really depends on what is out there.   If I have to go more expensive to get what I want, so be it.  So mainly just looking for recommendations on multiple price levels.

I don't think you need to spend that much. For instance the Panasonic Lumix ZS-35 is a point-and-shoot with 20X optical zoom and its MSRP is 265$. Its sibling the ZS-40 offers 30X optical zoom and is still just 475$.

I don't think you need to spend that much. For instance the Panasonic Lumix ZS-35 is a point-and-shoot with 20X optical zoom and its MSRP is 265$. Its sibling the ZS-40 offers 30X optical zoom and is still just 475$.

Indeed, he has to assess, what type of camera he wants eg.

1. Point and Shoot

2. Bridge Camera (like the rx10

3. dSLR

4. mirrorless dSLR (like the ones sanctified mentions)

5. 4/3 dSLR

I did not know mk3 was out, but i will buy it as my next camera.     Proper DSLR cameras are just too big. RX100 MK3 seem the best of small sized cams.

I did not know mk3 was out, but i will buy it as my next camera.     Proper DSLR cameras are just too big. RX100 MK3 seem the best of small sized cams.

It is, by far, I mean, better than the RX100mk2 which was already the best AND an EVF!

• Like 2

Indeed, he has to assess, what type of camera he wants eg.

1. Point and Shoot

2. Bridge Camera (like the rx10

3. dSLR

4. mirrorless dSLR (like the ones sanctified mentions)

5. 4/3 dSLR

FYI, a few fSLR are still around. (Film cameras)..  At least Nikon does.

What about the OP, he needs tele-reach.

The RX seems like a nice suggestion. OP needs to decide whether he wants the capability to change lens or not.

Did not read that. I admit the current reach for the X system is limited, with 230mm being the bigger option.

3x, 5x and 10x are marketing gimmicks, it's about mm length.

300mm would be getting there, but you would have to invest in the long run in tele converters such as:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=55-200+teleconverters&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A55-200+teleconverters

that gives you 2x = 600mm

That is the cheap way of doing so and there are some trade offs, but long lens are quite expensive in dSlrs

I would also add that IF you use optical zoom, get a tripod and set the camera to auto expose or use the timer (whatever its called). If you full zoom and touch the camera while exposing it will look like the bridge of the enterprise under klingon attack.

:woot:

I have the Pentax Kx and a 300mm Lens. Works great for closeups. It's an older camera but works great for my needs.Mostly taking pics of my 2.5 year old. we sometimes go hiking in the various woods/swamps here in Florida and i get some great close ups of wildlife and such. 

OK. Changing lenses would be nice. Don't mind spending a little more just in case I decide to do more. My main concern is to be able to zoom and take good quality pictures. zoom preferably at around 50 feet

I would also add that IF you use optical zoom, get a tripod and set the camera to auto expose or use the timer (whatever its called). If you full zoom and touch the camera while exposing it will look like the bridge of the enterprise under klingon attack.

:woot:

Haha, yes I plan to. On my list. :-)

OK. Changing lenses would be nice. Don't mind spending a little more just in case I decide to do more. My main concern is to be able to zoom and take good quality pictures. zoom preferably at around 50 feet

Yup, changing lens is great...

I have 5 lens so far. 

• Like 1

Haha, yes I plan to. On my list. :-)

in that case you should decide on a dSLR, Nikon, Sony, Canon or Pentax.

In that order :P 

IF you live near a store you could go try out a 300mm(whatever brand) lens and see if its the reach you need?

in that case you should decide on a dSLR, Nikon, Sony, Canon or Pentax.

In that order :P 

IF you live near a store you could go try out a 300mm(whatever brand) lens and see if its the reach you need?

Was looking at the Nikon bundle you posted on the first page. It comes with a 300mm lens.

This.   Don't go to Best Buy for help.. unless you buy it...  because the BB staff do not know anything about lens...  They go like "uh...  hold on let me ask someone.. be right back".. 

It would be better if you go to a real camera store which they sell cameras and accessories.

Was looking at the Nikon bundle you posted on the first page. It comes with a 300mm lens.

That is fine but Guppy is trying to tell you if you can go to the local store and see if 300mm lens works for you...   You can ask a guy at the store to try 300mm on 3100 camera or 3200..   he will put that lens on for you to check it out.

IE:  Check from your stand point and goes 50 ft to your car through the window ...  if your car is not at 50 ft... see something else is at 50 ft to see if it is perfect for you.  If so, you can purchase at that store or go home and buy bundle online which Guppy suggested.

• Like 1

That is fine but Guppy is trying to tell you if you can go to the local store and see if 300mm lens works for you...   You can ask a guy at the store to try 300mm on 3100 camera or 3200..   he will put that lens on for you to check it out.

Ahh, ok.  Cool.  Will have to look around to see whats available.    Thanks