Internet Explorer 12 to feature 'substantial changes' to the user interface?

It is cluttered because it provides so much customisation and power?

I think there are definitely areas that could be fine tuned and elevated based on current usage.  No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The 'Connections' tab for example really doesn't have that much importance anymore, so it can be deemphasized.  I assume Modern will remain the 'novice' view.

It's that exact sort of narrow-minded thinking that makes me glad I have the choice to use something else that works better for my needs. If Microsoft were so committed to rubbing out "malware extensions" then why is ActiveX still in there? That's been exploited for years.

Yeah chromes addon system is far superior, Administrators can use group policy to lockdown the browser extensions to a whitelist of pre approved extensions so nobody even local administrators or malware can exploit this. Also chrome utilises Authenticode for signing its extensions ensuring nobody can spoof popular extensions without the private key.

Microsoft really needs to ditch ActiveX for this excellent system....

Oh wait I got that all backwards its ActiveX that's got the built in security features  :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call ActiveX/NPAPI a feature. These are mechanisms that provide plugins a way to draw on a web page content. When we'll no longer need things like Flash, these mechanisms will go away.

You obviously haven't seen any corporate intranets that rely on ActiveX based software. Useful for more than just watching videos. Although I do agree, binary extensions need to go. Chrome's axing them soon too as I understand it.

that's exactly what Microsoft did.

There is no add-ins or macro support on Office for WindowsRT, WP, iOS.

Yea... and they didn't touch the version where the overwhelming majority of their users are. (Which shockingly includes a couple out of the box.) Besides, you can't honestly compare a phone version to the full suite...

I still can't believe you're pushing this idea of "less is more" and trying to justify it with any reason that comes to mind. Want to make your browser 100% secure? Better disable that download capability, that's where 99% of your malware comes from. Here's a stupidly simple idea. Allow browser based extensions, and then add a group policy or browser setting allowing those setups that want them disabled to actually disable it. Just like how they manage a lot of their other options, including the already present ability to disable downloads. Gives 100% of the userbase what they want.

Oh wait I got that all backwards :rolleyes:

And yet still gets exploited by clueless users, misconfiguration, downloaded malware, etc etc. I'm not saying browser based extensions are perfect either, but it still boils down to the user taking responsibility. There is no 100% secure browser. Even console based ones like Lynx have had critical exploits. Want 100% security? Unplug your network adapter, only way to be sure.

I swear some people on this website live in cookoo land. The average web using person is not sitting behind a corporate firewall, they'll be sitting behind a desktop, they will certainly not know how to use group policies (in fact group policies are locked out of some consumer editions of Windows). The reality is that people do find extensions useful, and there's no reason you cannot deliver them securely.

It is cluttered because it provides so much customisation and power?

It's cluttered because it can be better organized, and laid out. Embedded into the Control Panel, even. No more need for a separate window. Heck, the thing still has the "?" at the top, which Windows hasn't used in ages!

You obviously haven't seen any corporate intranets that rely on ActiveX based software.

I did.

I even developed some ActiveX controls in the past, for intranet use.

There will still be ActiveX support somehow in IE for a long time for business users who need them.

but for consumers, they are no longer needed. And Metro IE is what is now aimed at consumers, even on x86.

Useful for more than just watching videos. Although I do agree, binary extensions need to go. Chrome's axing them soon too as I understand it.

Yea... and they didn't touch the version where the overwhelming majority of their users are. (Which shockingly includes a couple out of the box.) Besides, you can't honestly compare a phone version to the full suite...

of course, they do it gradually.

they started with WP and WindowsRT on ARM.

but then it will happen on x86 too. Probably only for low end machines at the beginning. But in a decade, when productivity tools such as Photoshop or popular enterprise tools are ported to WinRT, most small businesses and power users will be able to rely on the WinRT-only SKU of Windows.

I still can't believe you're pushing this idea of "less is more" and trying to justify it with any reason that comes to mind. Want to make your browser 100% secure? Better disable that download capability, that's where 99% of your malware comes from.

that's the whole cloud concept where we're heading. More security, but a little less flexibility.

fortunately Microsoft will still give people choice to do it the way they want for some time. And of course, the concept of downloading safe documents won't go away. Downloading unsafe components? Forget it on WP/WindowsRT.

Here's a stupidly simple idea. Allow browser based extensions, and then add a group policy or browser setting allowing those setups that want them disabled to actually disable it. Just like how they manage a lot of their other options, including the already present ability to disable downloads. Gives 100% of the userbase what they want.

normal people run their system using the default configuration.

if default config is unsafe, they'll get infected.

if default config is safe but some popular software asks them to put the system in unsafe mode, then it opens door to bad habits of downloading potentially infected software.

unfortunately the best approach is to block unsandboxed software and extensions, and let the developers build safe store apps only.

and for those who are not happy with that, there will still be win32-compatible SKUs of Windows for several decades. And other OSes.

In the mean time, what interface improvements would you like to see in Internet Explorer 12?

I would like to see IE released for OS X too, give it some more market share!!

the vast majority of people don't use extensions.

do you really think their web browser is useless because of that?

The vast majority also read emails and mess with Facebook. Is Microsoft not allowed to cater to anyone aside from those people or what?

All I'm stating is why I don't use IE. Don't really care if you agree with me. (especially you to be frank; I'm not asking you to answer the question either)

• We don't want or need extensions.

You don't want extensions, the severe lack of them is what drove me from IE to Chrome.

Heh that config dialog's been like that since Windows 95. Getting a tad stale.

Yet it makes more sense than Firefox horrible config page, and chrome limited two categories config page...

They need to bring back the little animation from like IE4 or Netscape. That will make people know this browser is more advanced, because it is showing animated effects while a page loads.

• Like 2

I swear some people on this website live in cookoo land. The average web using person is not sitting behind a corporate firewall, they'll be sitting behind a desktop, they will certainly not know how to use group policies (in fact group policies are locked out of some consumer editions of Windows). The reality is that people do find extensions useful, and there's no reason you cannot deliver them securely.

I would argue that your average 'desktop', IE user is in a corporate setting now days.  Most consumers are mobile or have been tricked and coerced into Chrome.  Why argue for people who don't even know what a browser is or which one they are using?  That's why it should remain IT minded, as they are its biggest supporter. 

If they can deliver better plugins and a better settings/Internet Options menu (seriously, that thing is ancient and user unfriendly as heck), then I'll switch to IE12. Chrome for me is turning into a slow, clunky browser that I only put up with because it has a few extensions that I want. 

Yet it makes more sense than Firefox horrible config page, and chrome limited two categories config page...

They aren't for end users, you may as well compare the IE section of the registry to them.

I hope they fix the damn white list thing in their Metro browser. It's a big pain when most of the flash websites including YouTube links don't work on so many websites

I hope they fix the damn white list thing in their Metro browser. It's a big pain when most of the flash websites including YouTube links don't work on so many websites

They have stopped using a whitelist long ago

I liked 9, as a whole, visually... :(

Which is prety much the same design as used in IE10 and 11. THe only difference is that they removed to gradient from tabs (which looked horrible anyway) and the glow effect from the back and forward button...

Anyway, I like the Internet Explorer interface as it is. Not sure if putting the tabs in the top Windows bar will make it any better, as it will give just a hard time to move the windows, especialy when maximized. I don't mind the back-buttton cut-off either. The only thing I hope they revamp, is the options menu. It would also be great if the favorites bar is pinned to the right hand side of the window just to make it doesn't jump all over te place. And perhaps a redesign for the favorites bar, that it looks more like it is part of the interface, rather than the akward bar below the tabs that it is now.

Which is prety much the same design as used in IE10 and 11. THe only difference is that they removed to gradient from tabs (which looked horrible anyway) and the glow effect from the back and forward button...

Anyway, I like the Internet Explorer interface as it is. Not sure if putting the tabs in the top Windows bar will make it any better, as it will give just a hard time to move the windows, especialy when maximized. I don't mind the back-buttton cut-off either. The only thing I hope they revamp, is the options menu. It would also be great if the favorites bar is pinned to the right hand side of the window just to make it doesn't jump all over te place. And perhaps a redesign for the favorites bar, that it looks more like it is part of the interface, rather than the akward bar below the tabs that it is now.

which is something I happened to like about it, I'm running 10 at the moment, and it just feels less vibrant (like you mentioned in your explanation)

(and the flat scroll bar, I hate it)

They have stopped using a whitelist long ago

Really? My flash videos still doesn't load on several websites on my Surface Pro

Edit : Turns out I'm using TPLs and its blocking embedded YouTube videos too. Any way or any particular list that I can do which will block ads but not YouTube videos? I really cannot do without TPL.