The only SSD worth buying anymore? Crucial MX100

I keep telling my competitor who in his life has never used a single SSD (still baffles me). Keep telling him, u  gotta try an SSD! he just curls his lip because he thinks they only speed up boot up times and he says he doesn't restart his computer that often :D

Little does he know is that if you have to do reinstalls you take out the regular hard drive and reinstall onto an SSD which  makes the install and updates go 3x faster.

Back in the day before SSD's I was running an XP laptop off a CF card from a CF / IDE card.

When considering cheaper SSDs, be sure to pay attention to write speed.

Quite simply (and I've had the oppturnity to test many different SSDs in the market), the 840 EVO series is by far the most reliable SSD I've ever seen. Its a solid performer, the magician software is great, and the drive just keeps going and going.

Seriously looking forward to the 850 EVO series.

I had some flaky experiences with my M4. To Crucial's credit, the replacement is working okay so far but it's no longer my laptop's sole drive.

I'm not sure whether the controller has changed since then though.

I'd still give them a shot over some brand like ADATA (chuckle)

I read some horror reviews about the M4's disappearing from BIOS and Crucial having a long ass 30 minute process to bring the SSD back to life again, put me right off Micron made SSDs.

I'm glad I went with a Samsung SSD (830). Samsung seem to make the most reliable controller and I've never had to upgrade my SSD firmware. I installed it a year and a half ago and have mostly forgotten about it apart from the uber fast load times. I think that's really how most hardware should come.

I read some horror reviews about the M4's disappearing from BIOS and Crucial having a long ass 30 minute process to bring the SSD back to life again, put me right off Micron made SSDs.

I'm glad I went with a Samsung SSD (830). Samsung seem to make the most reliable controller and I've never had to upgrade my SSD firmware. I installed it a year and a half ago and have mostly forgotten about it apart from the uber fast load times. I think that's really how most hardware should come.

This. Exactly. Happened a couple of times; the last time before I posted my original M4 back to Crucial, it took almost a day sitting in a toaster dock before it came back to life.

Suffice to say, my Windows laptop now has an Intel SSD. Expensive but at least I'm no longer caring about whether a hard power down will brick the drive for hours on end.

I will agree that the MX100 is a solid budget SSD, but as others have mentioned, Samsung 840 EVO is about as good as it gets for reliability, performance, and low power consumption. I'd rather have the piece of mind in the long run rather than pinch a few dollars and get burned later.

Just waiting on that 1TB ssd that's reasonably priced.

Why?

Do you really need 1TB for the OS and apps ?

You don't need a SSD for storage. A normal HDD does the job and you can ask windows to turn it off when you don't use it.

Why?

You don't need a SSD for storage. A normal HDD does the job and you can ask windows to turn it off when you don't use it.

in my case i want a TB for my laptop that can't have more than 1 drive

it's a medium-high range laptop that i game on

i'm highly tempted to get the 1TB 840 EVO but i don't really want to pay $500 for it

in my case i want a TB for my laptop that can't have more than 1 drive

it's a medium-high range laptop that i game on

i'm highly tempted to get the 1TB 840 EVO but i don't really want to pay $500 for it

Yeah for a laptop that might be a problem. But if you have eSata on the laptop you could get a 2.5 eSata external HD and install games on it.

Why?

Regular HDD are too slow. I don't want to do the external thing especially if I am moving around a lot. I am currently forced to do this now at work and its a big headache.

I like the EVO but this does look promising.  I agree the price difference for the Pro makes it questionable for almost everyone.  Must be a Mac thing. :)

The Pro is excellent, I use it in my Windows desktops because a) it's slightly faster than the Evo (by very little), b) it'll probably last longer since it's using MLC vs. TLC for the EVO. For me, reliability is most important in an SSD. I already got burned by an OCZ Vertex SSD dying 4 months in, so I would rather pay for a reliable drive (I also do more robust backups).  

Why?

Because why not? SSD's are getting cheap to a point where my desktop has only one HDD left. I plan on buying an SSD to replace the HDD so that I can have an HDD-less desktop. Is this practical for everyone? Absolutely not! As it is, I have a 256 GB SSD for Windows and apps, of which most of is free unused space. I have a 128 GB + 80 GB SSD's for Steam/Steam library. The 1TB HDD just contains documents, pictures, videos, and misc. files that I really need to transfer to my NAS. 

Because why not? SSD's are getting cheap to a point where my desktop has only one HDD left. I plan on buying an SSD to replace the HDD so that I can have an HDD-less desktop. Is this practical for everyone? Absolutely not! As it is, I have a 256 GB SSD for Windows and apps, of which most of is free unused space. I have a 128 GB + 80 GB SSD's for Steam/Steam library. The 1TB HDD just contains documents, pictures, videos, and misc. files that I really need to transfer to my NAS. 

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's jut not practical to us an SSD for storage. I have a 256GB SSD in my desktop and a NAS running 2 4TB drives in RAID1. I just can't imagine needing any more drive space, or different configuration. I very well could move everything to SSD's, but what a waste of money. I think my wife could use the extra dollars for shoes, and purses.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's jut not practical to us an SSD for storage. I have a 256GB SSD in my desktop and a NAS running 2 4TB drives in RAID1. I just can't imagine needing any more drive space, or different configuration. I very well could move everything to SSD's, but what a waste of money. I think my wife could use the extra dollars for shoes, and purses.

Yep, I already said it's not practical for everyone. The amount of data I have on my HDD (that's not backed up) could easily fit in a 256 GB SSD, which can be had for less than $150. Do I need another SSD? Absolutely not. I'm still waiting for 512 GB/1 TB SSD's to become a little more reasonable. 

Hey i agree with you.

I have 3 SSDs for a total of 840GB. I do because i have the money for.

But for someone on a budget a 120GB SSD for the OS and apps and a HDD (internal or external) for storage of games and media is a viable option.

• Like 1

I think you need to look-up the definition of "waste of money"  :rofl:

For reliability, a spindle is a known quantity.  Night Prowler is right, if you are talking storage, a standard HDD is clearly the better option from a cost and reliability standpoint.  To say get the Pro cause it will be more reliable is a questionable.  I know I've lost more SSDs in the last couple years than I have spindles in a couple decades.

If you are gluttonous, have little data, or only have one device/slot, sure, go 'all' SSD.  I think hybrid/RST is a more elegant solution personally.

I'm on MyDigitalSSD m.2 128GB after "surviving" on a 64GB for 3yrs with my old T410s. Now 128GB feels like I have all the room in the world. LOL. Now we will see how the reliability of this SSD goes and the fact that I can still put in another M2 SSD in here plus another 2.5 HDD makes this one killer machine :).

M2 SSDs are now a max of 256GB so times 2 and that's already 512GB.

Add a 1TB HDD and 1.5TB internally in a light and portable system is actually pretty sweet :)

I'm on MyDigitalSSD m.2 128GB after "surviving" on a 64GB for 3yrs with my old T410s. Now 128GB feels like I have all the room in the world. LOL. Now we will see how the reliability of this SSD goes and the fact that I can still put in another M2 SSD in here plus another 2.5 HDD makes this one killer machine :).

That is awesome for a laptop.  Will it let you build a RAID array between the disks? You can get 512gb m.2's:

http://www.dabs.com/products/crucial-512gb-m550-sata-6gbps-m-2-ssd-9HQN.html

Anyway, back to MX100, I just pulled the trigger as a gift for my brother, to be used with an aging MacBook (not Pro).  Let's see how it is when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm not sure I would trust a  well used ssd for long term storage, I mean keep it powered off for a few weeks and your data may not be there when you power it back on.

still I have a 256gb mx100 as my boot drive, very nice for the price.