The Surface RT Challenge

Day 19/20/21:

I've decided to keep my laptop for network maintenance & repair, but I'll use the Surface as my primary recreation machine.

I set up my laptop as a media center - set it to boot to desktop and run XBMC on startup, and then gave it a thorough test (movie marathon.) So far its working well.

Meanwhile, I was using my Surface for other stuff - reading TVTropes about the movies, shopping for a smaller wireless keyboard that would be less cumbersome as a remote. I'd like to find one that I can hold in one hand, besides I'd rather use this keyboard with my Surface.

You can't beat MS's new media keyboard for an HTPC.

Is it a compact design? I'm thinking of something the size ballpark of a large remote, so it doesn't look too out of place on the coffee table.

Small keys are ok, as I wouldn't be doing too much typing. A decent touchpad and direction keys would be the main things I'd need.

Its not the smallest available but its slim, balances well on one leg, and fits in my recliner's newspaper pouch.  The touchpad is large and has a good feel, which most smaller units I looked at didn't integrate (well).  I've tried many remotes but its still the best fit currently for me.  The Wedge is an awesome keyboard but no pad.  Why not just go with a wireless mouse if you need slim and simple nav?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/all-in-one-media-keyboard#overview

My chagrin is that controller support is still non-existent, along with a 'SmartGlass' option.

• 1 month later...

Update: I just picked up a used Type Cover 2 at Micro Center. I normally wouldn't get something like this used, but I've never had a problem with the returned stuff from there.

It's far more comfortable and accurate than the Touch Cover so far. I'm holding onto the Touch Cover as a backup, though.