I'd be tempted to try it since I have Dolby Atmos, but I hate Star Wars :(

(not that I usually get much out of multiplayer anyway)

It is very smooth. :) I think you'll like the gameplay if you like FPSes with short TTK (time to kill) action. Weapons feel really polished, and flying is very fast and dynamic. And it looks beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to access the Xbox download page from the link on the EA site here: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/beta

I keep getting an "Oops, page not found" error.  Anyone able to access it from the web to get the download started?

I'm trying to access the Xbox download page from the link on the EA site here: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/beta

I keep getting an "Oops, page not found" error.  Anyone able to access it from the web to get the download started?

I preloaded yesterday (PC) via Origin - it's surprisingly little (all of barely 10 GB, compared to the monster that was the Titanfall beta, for example).

I preloaded yesterday (PC) via Origin - it's surprisingly little (all of barely 10 GB, compared to the monster that was the Titanfall beta, for example).

Likewise, came down the wire really fast too, I was impressed.  Just under 10 mins to grab the beastie. :)

The pc system requirements kind of blow me away. They want us to have 16gb of ram for recommended? 8gb for minimum? That seems unreal to me.

What is the game doing that it could possibly need 16gb of ram? 

The other requirements for recommended are i5-6600, gtx 970, 40gb of hd space, and 64-bit windows 10.

battlefront-features.jpg

I audibly let out a few expletives after looking over this chart...

(Notably 5 planned DLC packs and 2 launch heroes vs 19.)

As much as I despise EA one has to acknowledge that the assets in modern games take a lot longer to develop due to their fidelity. The visual quality of Battlefront 2015 is exceptional and a huge amount of attention has been paid to the locations. The gameplay also looks better than any of the previous games, despite obviously being aimed at a casual audience. This looks like one of the most faithful Star Wars games in decades.

The previous Battlefront games were pretty average, which is reflected by their Metacritic scores (both in the 70s). Let's not misremember them - they weren't classics.

Could someone confirm they downloaded it on a console?  I get 404s from both the PS and Xbox links on the EA site.

The pc system requirements kind of blow me away. They want us to have 16gb of ram for recommended? 8gb for minimum? That seems unreal to me.

What is the game doing that it could possibly need 16gb of ram? 

The other requirements for recommended are i5-6600, gtx 970, 40gb of hd space, and 64-bit windows 10.

After a couple of hours playing, I can honestly say, they're not really doing anything special...

• Like 3

After a couple of hours playing, I can honestly say, they're not really doing anything special...

There is a resolution scale option which requires a very beefy PC, but makes the game look incredible.

There is a resolution scale option which requires a very beefy PC, but makes the game look incredible.

It certainly doesn't look anything close to incredible on PS4. It looks on par with Halo: Reach on 360.

• Like 1

Well - it's got a lot of promise, but it majorly needs some areas of improvement.

Playing on the Hoth map as rebels is pretty much a suicide mission - if the Empire are anything like competent you just get absolutely reamed. The way to access vehicles is infuriating, though not quite as much as trying to fly them. Mouse, or joypad - neither worked for me at all in the way the ships were actually controlled (too slow) - if you're anything like used to Battlefield 3/4 vehicles, you will be screaming at the computer. They fly more like arcade style where after each time you move the mouse to turn, the axis reset and the vehicle (e.g. A Wing) levels back out again meaning you have to continually drag the mouse to try and effect any kind of maneuver.

The weapon loadout nonsense and the way you access the weapons is awful too - again, this needs to be more like Battlefield.

Nightmare. I played a couple of hours so far and have had the occasional fun game, but it's been overshadowed by massive frustration. Potentially a waste of a great franchise unless EA sort some of this crap out.

• Like 1

The season pass situation is disappointing, no doubt - but no surprise given that it's EA. 

I'll be doing the same as I did with Battlefield 4 - waiting for the core game to come right down in price (say on CD Keys) and then bagging Premium / season pass when it's on offer on Origin. Really not bothered about playing it from day 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well - it's got a lot of promise, but it majorly needs some areas of improvement.

Playing on the Hoth map as rebels is pretty much a suicide mission - if the Empire are anything like competent you just get absolutely reamed. The way to access vehicles is infuriating, though not quite as much as trying to fly them. Mouse, or joypad - neither worked for me at all in the way the ships were actually controlled (too slow) - if you're anything like used to Battlefield 3/4 vehicles, you will be screaming at the computer. They fly more like arcade style where after each time you move the mouse to turn, the axis reset and the vehicle (e.g. A Wing) levels back out again meaning you have to continually drag the mouse to try and effect any kind of maneuver.

The weapon loadout nonsense and the way you access the weapons is awful too - again, this needs to be more like Battlefield.

Nightmare. I played a couple of hours so far and have had the occasional fun game, but it's been overshadowed by massive frustration. Potentially a waste of a great franchise unless EA sort some of this crap out.

In the movie, the Rebels DID get reamed - the main characters were lucky to get away.  (Their getting away came at a cost to the Empire - remember, Admiral Ozzel and Captain Needa were executed for failing in their siege of Hoth.)  In other words, it was true to the "historical" battle.

That's somewhat irrelevant though. It's a video game, and it should be balanced so that either side stand a reasonable chance of winning it. I'm sure a large part of the game will be authenticity with the films in terms of how it looks and sounds, but I wouldn't expect it to carry over to the outcome of certain games!! 

That's somewhat irrelevant though. It's a video game, and it should be balanced so that either side stand a reasonable chance of winning it. I'm sure a large part of the game will be authenticity with the films in terms of how it looks and sounds, but I wouldn't expect it to carry over to the outcome of certain games!! 

It is very balanced. You have not seen the tools that rebels have in terms of weapons and star cards. :)

• 2 weeks later...