Comcast is going to turn people's Houston routers into public WIFI hotspots

did you read the part where I said they handled that at the hardware level already?...

And again a router can't magically handle an insane amount of active and incomplete connections. No amount hardware in a regular router can handle that. Its not about data throughput. High volume da with few connections is one thing, but just low data traffic over hundreds to thousands of connections will cripple even the fastest home router.

And again a router can't magically handle an insane amount of active and incomplete connections. No amount hardware in a regular router can handle that. Its not about data throughput. High volume da with few connections is one thing, but just low data traffic over hundreds to thousands of connections will cripple even the fastest home router.

Where are you pulling this hundreds of thousands of connections number from?  I can guess...

Where are you pulling this hundreds of thousands of connections number from?  I can guess...

Default uTorrent settings.

and yet the Comcast gateway limits max concurrent WAN side sessions to..... well 4,096... and the hardware is able to handle 32,768 simultaneous sessions ... they are limiting the router end of it on purpose to prevent this issue, like I've already said, they handled it on the hardware end.

if you think the session count is too low, you tell them to put it in bridge mode and get your own router basically

did you read the part where I said they handled that at the hardware level already?...

Why? they already remote manage your cable modem, it's been part of the DOCSIS standard forever... they already have complete control over the modem firmware and settings via TFTP

Sorry here in nz our ISP dont have remote access to our stuff. (as far as i know)

Sorry here in nz our ISP dont have remote access to our stuff. (as far as i know)

If you are on a cable modem system (CMTS), DOCSIS or EuroDOCSIS, they have remote access to your modem or gateway that's how they program them to work on their networks and manage their firmware... this is universal world wide on DOCSIS based networks

• Like 2