XP update stop at April 14th?

lol I just got one update for Windows XP.  And the update was Malicious Remover Tool or something like that... very funny... I thought they stop the XP support since April...

They extended the life of the Malicious Software Remover Tool.  Clearly if people are still running XP, they need all the help they can get to stay safe on the Internet.

They extended the life of the Malicious Software Remover Tool.  Clearly if people are still running XP, they need all the help they can get to stay safe on the Internet.

uh oh I know someone who is gonna have a coronary over that.

I only found out the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is useless unless manually run yesterday. I always thought it was something that ran and checked as a background process. Plus, the only way to launch it is through the Run prompt, or by going into system folders - how would the average user know how to do that?

Similarly to MSE, they've extended support of MSRT for XP for about a year. However, it only hunts for VERY specific malware and it is an on-demand tool, so it is rarely used by the average folk.

I only found out the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is useless unless manually run yesterday. I always thought it was something that ran and checked as a background process. Plus, the only way to launch it is through the Run prompt, or by going into system folders - how would the average user know how to do that?

I don't care.  The average user shouldn't be using this operating system.  If they get malicious software, good.

I thought the Jokes & Funny Stuff section was suppose to be funny? :o

Windows XP is a joke.

• Like 3

Man, where have you been?

Even my totally computer illiterate brother knows that it doesn't run all the time and that it only checks for a very specific set of files.

lol I just got one update for Windows XP.  And the update was Malicious Remover Tool or something like that... very funny... I thought they stop the XP support since April...

Duh... thery stopped giving  the SYSTEM UPDATES to XP users... Not Malware updates.. 

If you want to use XP longer, then I suggest that you unplug the PC from the internet. Otherwise, you will have security risks.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't a replacement for traditional anti virus software and it runs in the background (just after you download/install from windows update)...you don't need to run it manually.  It is geared to detect specific malware in specific locations, a preventative step to eradicate worms and malware so that the systems does not stay infected for years.  It was never intended to be a full blown scanner.  You don't need to run it manually...if you suspect the computer is infected then you need a dedicated scanner.

XP will continue to receive updates for this tool and MSE for about another year (I think July 2015???)

Windows XP is a joke.

Wrong. At the time of their release, XP (and Windows 95) were like nothing else on the market. 95 for UI design, and XP for media features.

Of course both OSs aren't supported now and Windows 7/8.1 are much better, but XP and 95 have their place in history.

If you want an OS to laugh at, choose ME (although I personally didn't have much trouble with it myself at the time).

I guess you have absolutely no interest in the history of computing, and how Windows came to be what it is now.

• Like 2

Wrong. At the time of their release, XP (and Windows 95) were like nothing else on the market. 95 for UI design, and XP for media features.

Of course both OSs aren't supported now and Windows 7/8.1 are much better, but XP and 95 have their place in history.

If you want an OS to laugh at, choose ME (although I personally didn't have much trouble with it myself at the time).

I guess you have absolutely no interest in the history of computing, and how Windows came to be what it is now.

Actually, Windows 95 was hated for the introduction of the start menu.

Windows XP was hated at the beginning of its launch for many reasons, too.

• Like 2

Man, where have you been?

Even my totally computer illiterate brother knows that it doesn't run all the time and that it only checks for a very specific set of files.

I've always relied on proper antivirus software. I noticed the update mentioned in the OP on my XP machine yesterday and as I had a bit of spare time I researched into what the tool actually does. I was surprised that it had to be manually run!

So, millions of XP PCs have it installed yet very few users have ever used it or heard about it. Instead, if their machine has malware/spyware, the average user will turn to Google - you can imagine what the outcome of clicking on an 'PC Speed Optimizer and Cleaner' (etc.) ad would be (more malware/spyware). Hopefully proper tools like Malwarebytes are at the top of the list.

For me, 95 wasn't so bad, I didn't use the 3.x branch much and hated the Program Manager with a passion anyway. But I was in the "can pry 2KPro out of my cold dead hands" group until SP2 rolled around myself, buggy, unstable POS that XP RTM was. (And still is. /s) The "this new version sucks, going back to the old one" rant is hardly new, been going on for decades. Even here.

Duh... thery stopped giving  the SYSTEM UPDATES to XP users... Not Malware updates.. 

If you want to use XP longer, then I suggest that you unplug the PC from the internet. Otherwise, you will have security risks.

For me, 95 wasn't so bad, I didn't use the 3.x branch much and hated the Program Manager with a passion anyway. But I was in the "can pry 2KPro out of my cold dead hands" group until SP2 rolled around myself, buggy, unstable POS that XP RTM was. (And still is. /s) The "this new version sucks, going back to the old one" rant is hardly new, been going on for decades. Even here.

Chill guys :)  I am only using XP on VirtualBox... my main OS is Win7  :)

• Like 2

Chill guys :)  I am only using XP on VirtualBox... my main OS is Win7  :)

No worries, wasn't judging anyone, just my own preference. The only people I set terms with what OS they run are clients I deal with, everybody else *shrug* doesn't affect me in the least, go nuts. I have a craptop and an old dinosaur tablet still running XP too just because they have major troubles running anything else, even most Linux distros run like ass on them, if at all. I even caved and set that POSReady setting in, curious to see if a future update breaks the OS (or they actually, you know, check the OS's version number and stop updates), the things are never really used anymore anyway so don't really care either way. Zero need or desire to actually XP anymore myself.

Similarly to MSE, they've extended support of MSRT for XP for about a year. However, it only hunts for VERY specific malware and it is an on-demand tool, so it is rarely used by the average folk.

Exactly. Leo Leporte on his radio show is ALWAYS telling people to run MRT ... think you have a virus.... run MRT that i'll fix it. I'm always thinking....um... probably not.

"Like nothing else on the market" and "Hated" aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, being different can a big part of why they were hated.