Bullet Proof Blankets For Kids

For the first time ever, you can prepare your children for the potential war zone known as the local elementary school with bullet proof blankets.

The
The Bodyguard Blanket
was developed by Steve Walker, a father of two elementary school students who was horrified by the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, which left 20 children and six adults dead. In the 14 months following Newtown, there were at least 
 ?We wanted our children to have a layer of protection immediately,? Walker told Oklahoma NBC affiliate 
 ?They can be stored in the classroom, and, when seconds count, they can be easily applied.?

It comes in both child and adult sizes and is designed to be bulletproof, made from the same materials that US soldiers and law enforcement wear, the manufacturer?s website 
. The manufacturers estimate that the blankets provide protection against ?90% of all weapons that have been used in school shootings in the United States.?

Source:

At the price of $1,000 a pop, at least we can be assured that the only children that really matter in this society ? the ones whose parents aren?t struggling just to provide their children with three meals a day ? will be saved.

source & video

I am from the UK and I find it so sad that this is the world that some kids live in.

The same people who are against gun control are the same people who say that "even if one child is saved it is worth doing it" when it comes to destroying rights for privacy, etc. If gun control laws can save just one childs life are they not worth it too? I just don't understand it :no:

I am from the UK and I find it so sad that this is the world that some kids live in.

The same people who are against gun control are the same people who say that "even if one child is saved it is worth doing it" when it comes to destroying rights for privacy, etc. If gun control laws can save just one childs life are they not worth it too? I just don't understand it :no:

It comes down to people living in fear from the government and from other potential threath, and thinking that owning guns can somehow protect them or give them the tools to deffend their freedom. It's in the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, written in the late 18th century... something that was needed at that time but never evolved because of the money involved in the business.

Gun manufacturers love for everyone to own guns and look at guns as a necessity... more guns on the streets, more money for them...

The point being is that neither of the political parties will ever do anything against it... or to even regulate it would be the same as cutting the hand that feeds you, so it's much easier to keep people living in fear and telling them that their god given consitutional right is to own a gun...

This is merely a cash grab. If there is enough hype for something someone will try selling snake oil...

It comes down to people living in fear from the government and from other potential threath, and thinking that owning guns can somehow protect them or give them the tools to deffend their freedom. It's in the 2nd amendment of the US constitution, written in the late 18th century... something that was needed at that time but never evolved because of the money involved in the business.

Gun manufacturers love for everyone to own guns and look at guns as a necessity... more guns on the streets, more money for them...

The point being is that neither of the political parties will ever do anything against it... or to even regulate it would be the same as cutting the hand that feeds you, so it's much easier to keep people living in fear and telling them that their god given consitutional right is to own a gun...

The concern of the gun lobby isn't unwarranted, within reason...

IMHO a fair question is why do people who want to have stronger gun laws exempt the police? If the citizenry should be disarmed so to should the police... Otherwise, we're shifting more power into the hands of an already oppressive group.

Crazy! That's where we've gotten to... it's easier to purchase $1000 bullet proof blankets than regulate guns...

Gun regulation isn't the cure. Canada just had a very nasty shooting killing a few police officers and devastating the nation. They also have extremely restrictive gun laws.

I support stronger gun laws in the US, but if we want to really stop these mass shootings we need to work on addressing the core problem. Not attempting to dress the surface wound while the infection festers below.

• Like 2

Crazy! That's where we've gotten to... it's easier to purchase $1000 bullet proof blankets than regulate guns...

Sure you can regulate guns. It's a lot harder to regulate crazy though. Timothy Mcveigh would like to say Hi.

Congrats on living in fear.

Who is living in fear? Interesting how it's usually people not from the US making these kinds of comments.

So, it doesn't say who is supposed to buy these, parents or schools. It would be ironic for schools to pay for these yet refuse to buy metal detectors and/or other preventative measures. As far as parents buying them goes... Here's a list of next year's school supplies:

No. 2 Pencils

Colored Pencils

Pens

Hi-liter

Ruler

Bullet Proof Blanket

3 Ring Binder

Notebook Paper

Field Medic Kit

Drop Shovel

This is merely a cash grab. If there is enough hype for something someone will try selling snake oil...

The concern of the gun lobby isn't unwarranted, within reason...

IMHO a fair question is why do people who want to have stronger gun laws exempt the police? If the citizenry should be disarmed so to should the police... Otherwise, we're shifting more power into the hands of an already oppressive group.

Gun regulation isn't the cure. Canada just had a very nasty shooting killing a few police officers and devastating the nation. They also have extremely restrictive gun laws.

I support stronger gun laws in the US, but if we want to really stop these mass shootings we need to work on addressing the core problem. Not attempting to dress the surface wound while the infection festers below.

Canada's probably a poor example to use. At the risk of going off topic here, let's compare the number of TOTAL shootings in Canada this year to just the mass shootings in the U.S. My obvious point is, the U.S. far outstrips other "developed" nations, like Canada, in gun deaths. That shouldn't even be a question. 

I think what those who are against or question the effects of stricter gun laws in the U.S., believe that those who are for them think it will end ALL gun violence. That's next to impossible to do and I'm sure people realize that. But, if you could reduce the gun violence in the U.S. to say 10x what it is in Canada (numerical total, not per capita), that would be a huge coup. And, I don't think that has to be through disarmament. But, reductions and restrictions should most certainly be on the table.

As far as the blankets go, I don't know if the guy's a snake oil salesman or if he sees this as one of the only viable outlets. Maybe it's the unwillingness of congress to act on this matter that causes people like him to say, I'll do what I can on my end. Who knows?

Canada [...] They also have extremely restrictive gun laws.

Yes and no. Anyone can own a gun in Canada. My dad does. I do. My step brother does and his son too. All used for hunting. It's not really hard to buy and own a gun in Canada.

What is extremely restrictive in Canada is the proper use of a firearm and not the ownership. It's strange that some people in USA think nobody in canada owns a gun and that we are all watching care bears every night.

The major difference in Canada is you can't carry your gun unless it is properly secured and unloaded. You cannot have a gun not secured and loaded in your house. It needs to be unloaded and properly secured in a storage. The only time you can load a gun is when you are about to use it to hunt, at a practice stand or to defend your life (this last case almost never happen cause well the gun needs to be unloaded at first).

Couple of years ago the police did a raid at night to arrest a guy suspected of illegal activites. The guy had a gun loaded and killed a police officer. Since the raid was considered illegal the guy was not found guilty of murder because of self-defense laws (police can't raid at night here unless the suspect might leave the province before the next day). But he was found guilty of illegal use of a firearm and had to serve 2 years behind bars because the gun was loaded (it was impossible for him to completly load a properly stored gun by the time the police did break him and the time he shot the police officer.

Storage

Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded and either:

• Made inoperable with a secure locking device (such as a trigger lock); or
  • Have bolts or bolt-carriers removed; or
  • Securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into
  • Except if: (1) in areas where it is legal to fire a gun, non-restricted firearms needed for predator control can temporarily be left unlocked and operable, but they must be kept unloaded and all ammunition must be stored separately, and (2) in wilderness areas, non-restricted firearms can be left unlocked and/or operable, but must be left unloaded (ammunition may be kept nearby).

Transportation

• Firearms left unattended in a car must be locked in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, the firearm must be placed out of sight inside the vehicle and the vehicle must be locked (same rules apply for transport of replica firearms)
  • Non-restricted firearms must be: transported unloaded (with the exception of muzzle-loading rifles, which can be transported loaded between hunting sites so long as the firing cap or flint is removed).
  • Restricted and prohibited firearms must be: unloaded, made inoperable with a secure locking device, and locked in a sturdy container. Prohibited firearms must also have their bolt(s) or bolt-carrier(s) removed, if removable.

Display

Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded and either:

• Made inoperable with a secure locking device (such as a trigger lock); or
  • Locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into.

Something you all are missing, the blanket isn't just a bullet proof blanket, its also a "storm" blanket for tornados like out in the mid west

Rather than giving kids bulletproof blankets, which are unlikely to actually be any use in a mass shooting, it would be much easier to simply ban ammunition or heavily restrict it. That way you can dodge all the issues with the 2nd Amendment and save lives.

Rather than giving kids bulletproof blankets, which are unlikely to actually be any use in a mass shooting, it would be much easier to simply ban ammunition or heavily restrict it. That way you can dodge all the issues with the 2nd Amendment and save lives.

Ban ammunition? How would hunters hunt? How would police stock their firearms?

Regulating guns isn't the answer.  People that are crazy or really want to do something will get guns.  It's that simple.  I do agree with stricter requirements or longer wait times, but in the end, you'll have to get rid of ALL criminals and unstable people to actually get rid of the problem.

Yes and no. Anyone can own a gun in Canada. My dad does. I do. My step brother does and his son too. All used for hunting. It's not really hard to buy and own a gun in Canada.

What is extremely restrictive in Canada is the proper use of a firearm and not the ownership. It's strange that some people in USA think nobody in canada owns a gun and that we are all watching care bears every night.

<snipped>

I have lots of family in Canada so I visit often. To say Canada has no restrictions on ownership is false. Canada has a ton of restrictions on "restricted" firearms. Essentially, Canada has few restrictions on guns considered for hunting (like rifles) and a ton of restrictions on everything else...

For instance, you require approval from a municipal government agency to take a legally owned, and licensed, handgun from your home to the range to even target practice!

Individuals require an Authorization to Transport (ATT) from a provincial or territorial CFO in order to transport a restricted firearm from one location to another. There is no fee for an ATT.

To be eligible for an ATT, individuals must hold a firearms licence authorizing them to possess restricted firearms.

Source: Royal Canadian Mounted Police

But as I said earlier, guns aren't the problem as much as they are symptoms...

For instance, the vast majority of gun violence in the US is fueled by the illegal drug trade. Legalizing drugs would do far more to reduce gun deaths than blanket bans on all firearms.

Ban ammunition? How would hunters hunt? How would police stock their firearms?

How would mass-shooters kill innocent children? How would people accidentally shoot a family member they thought was an intruder? Regulating ammunition?restricting certain calibres, requiring users to demonstrate a legitimate need for it (i.e. hunting), banning it for unstable individuals (i.e. the mentally ill, felons), etc?could prevent the need to equip children with bulletproof blankets just to get through the school day.

Having your children come home from school alive shouldn't be a lottery.

How would mass-shooters kill innocent children? How would people accidentally shoot a family member they thought was an intruder? Regulating ammunition?restricting certain calibres, requiring users to demonstrate a legitimate need for it (i.e. hunting), banning it for unstable individuals (i.e. the mentally ill, felons), etc?could prevent the need to equip children with bulletproof blankets just to get through the school day.

Having your children come home from school alive shouldn't be a lottery.

Or do what Chris Rock said:

I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars? five thousand dollars per bullet? You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders. 

Yeah! Every time somebody get shut we?d say, ?Damn, he must have done something ... ######, he?s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.? And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ?Man I would blow your ****ing head off?if I could afford it.? ?I?m gonna get me another job, I?m going to start saving some money, and you?re a dead man. You?d better hope I can?t get no bullets on layaway.?