Gunpoint Robbery Captured on Go-Pro

The question was posed in the OP what would you do in this situation?

Since when are answers off topic?

And since I'm in the US, specifically Michigan, my actions are guided by the laws where I am and therefore germaine.

You threw the whole thread into a conversation on Michigan law, the gun you carry and how you'd kill a person in this situation.

I bet anything if this happened to you, you'd get shot in a heart beart simply because you're over-confident in your "skills". I guess your answer to that would be that you've been to war or used to be in law enforcement? I mean you have an answer or everything you reply to here on Neowin. You try hard to come off as this expert on every single topic you post in when most of the stuff you post, as if it comes straight from your mind, is taken directly from Wikipedia articles and more than likely some Google searches. I've been tempted before to call you out on that in the past with links to prove that you copy and paste a lot of stuff as if it's straight from your mouth when it's not.

Just because you can think it, doesn't mean you can do it as easily as you made it sound. Do you have psychic abilities? You don't know what the person who robbed you is capable of. That's where you fail. You think too highly of your "skills" and don't even consider what that other person or people are capable of. What if it played out exactly like that video, but someone just said "screw it" in the middle of it and blew your head off? Did you put any thought that maybe there could also be someone behind you that you don't know about, ready to put a bullet in your head?

Didn't consider all of that did you? Don't say you did because your first post in here goes straight to how you'd kill the person. There could easily be others involved in the robbery who were in the background or off to the side hiding ready to shoot.

People like you are why Americans like me (sorry, don't consider you an Amercian at all) are thought of as lovers of violence and war. Shoot first. Don't even try to question anything. Just put a bullet in their head and be done with it. Good thinking  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

. . .

Although I don't agree with DocM I don't see the need to attack him like you just did. He may be slightly off-topic but now you're way off topic. 

Back on topic: Girl Jogging + GoPro = Fine Cinematography

Except doc moved the situation to not just another country, but continent. Then he added new parameters like him carrying and undetected firearm.

If he moves the situation he has to account for the fact the thieves will assume/know he has a gun and probably just blast his face right away, or at the very least take his gun.

In all fairness it does say "What would you do?" Doc just answered that question.

He answered the question "What would you do if you were robbed in Michigan?" even though the "What would you do?" implicitly referred to a specific situation that happened in South Africa. I'm hoping that DocM wouldn't start shooting at people if he was visiting South Africa without first checking local laws.

To answer the question myself... I'd walk away, even if I had a gun. He has very clear footage of the robber's face. Turn that over to the police.

DocM is foolish to put his life in danger by engaging in a gunfight with criminals you KNOW have a gun over something like a bike. It's not worth getting shot over a bike.

When a generic question is asked of course the answers have to be put into the context of where the answerer lives because laws vary. That is precisely what I did. The rest was in reply to questions, statements and correcting logical & legal fallacies (ex: justifiable homicide ? murder.)

Having been mugged once when i was at university I can honestly say if it happens again i think i will fight rather than standing there. I honestly don't think these people are prepared for someone who would fight back.

• Like 1

Having been mugged once when i was at university I can honestly say if it happens again i think i will fight rather than standing there. I honestly don't think these people are prepared for someone who would fight back.

Impossible to say isn't it. 

Is it worth getting stabbed/shot over possessions? That is the possibility during a robbery. 

I like to think I'd fight back if the person didn't have a weapon as an advantage over me, but if they had a weapon I'd just give up my stuff willingly.. 

When a generic question is asked of course the answers have to be put into the context of where the answerer lives because laws vary. That is precisely what I did. The rest was in reply to questions, statements and correcting logical & legal fallacies (ex: justifiable homicide ? murder.)

no that's not what you did.

You moved the situation to some random gun happy US state. Then you kept the robber scenario the same for them, but changed the parameters for you. If you're mowing scenario, you have to change all aspects and parameters to where you move it to.

Other than that, of course the question was "what would you do if this was you" as in, you being robbed far from civilization on a bike in Africa.

If humans have value, the values vary from person to person, and these people are valued very very very low. I'd rate dirt higher in value.

Dirt actually produces. It helps to feed billions of people. It's how we get vegetables, it grows grass for the cows to graze, etc, etc. So yeah it's worth much more. :) 

no that's not what you did.

You moved the situation to some random gun happy US state. Then you kept the robber scenario the same for them, but changed the parameters for you. If you're mowing scenario, you have to change all aspects and parameters to where you move it to.

Other than that, of course the question was "what would you do if this was you" as in, you being robbed far from civilization on a bike in Africa.

Actually, if I was asked "what would you do", I would think it was, what would you do if you were robbed like the guy in the video?  That does not mean I have to think of the exact same location. 

What would you do if someone tried to rob you  like they did me?  Would you think that you had to look at all off the US laws, or would you base it off of where you are at?

Ask in a bar or a conversation between buds, it is automatically assumed where you are at because that is the shared area.  However, once you start asking over long distances, if you mean, "what would you do in my situation" might want to clarify where you meant.

And if you move the scenario you need to move and adapt ALL the parameters, or assume the robbery happened the same way, ie no hidden gun.

Asking someone what they'd do assumes their normal circumstances in that situation. People in these parts with carry permits usually have a firearm when they leave the house. Hell, my wife has a little Ruger LC9 in a bra holster.

Parks & forests are not exclusion zones, especially federal ones - Obama signed that into law 3-4 years ago.

Exception is if they're going to an exclusion zone (stadium etc.) Even then they tend to lock them in a car mounted gun safe. These available in dept. stores, even WalMart.

Hell, some courthouses and churches even permit carry inside. Up to the chief judge or parson.

So your definition of "what would you do?" is "what would you do under completely different circumstances, please make up anything"

So your definition of "what would you do?" is "what would you do under completely different circumstances, please make up anything"

"You" has to include localization, meaning CONTEXT.

For someone where carrying a firearm is like putting their wallet in their slacks it's a different answer than places where they do not. Deal with it.

You're still adding parameters to the situation, but only one sided.

Had this been in gun crazy land they would either check you for hidden gun and/or just shot you outright on the assumption you probably have one.

Yup can't do a what would you do and change the parameters, then its no longer a what would you do. Then its a " what would you do if this happened to you in Michigan, you where conceal carrying and the robbers where total idiots who didn't check an American in the middle of gun land for a gun". Not quite the same.

Bit Harsh to have a go at DocM.  It's exactly what HE would do.

I'm a massive critic when it comes to the USA and their absolutely appalling gun control, but DocM has made it very clear on Neowin that he isn't one of the cockheads that shouldn't have a weapon.

Bit Harsh to have a go at DocM. It's exactly what HE would do.

I'm a massive critic when it comes to the USA and their absolutely appalling gun control, but DocM has made it very clear on Neowin that he isn't one of the cockheads that shouldn't have a weapon.

Except his original post shows that his first thought would be to "kill" (quoting that because I honestly believe he wouldn't be able to) the person who robbed him.

You realize how fast and quiet he'd have to be to pull off that little move of his and make zero noise as to not get their attention? He put ZERO thought into what he posted. He jumped into a thread and was quick to make himself look very knowledgeable on this topic (like any other thread he posts in) except he failed this time.

He would be shot as soon as he went for his gun. I know someone who has a permit to carry and he got robbed a few years ago. When asked why he didn't defend himself, he said he knew it was too risky.

Sorry, but anyone who is soo quick to say they'd kill the person, shouldn't have a permit to carry. All that tells me is they have an itchy trigger finger and won't stop to think "Is it worth it to pull my gun out?". Just shoot the person. Don't bother trying to assess the situation at all.

Sorry, but all I can picture is that scene from the last Rambo film where the men are threatening to rape the woman and Rambo just kills all of them in a split second. That's how DocM pictures himself in the situation. In reality, if a person hasn't shot a gun in a while (the film implies Rambo stayed away from violence since the last film so it's been a while since he handled a gun) they are NOT going to be able to pull off that type of move in the film or anything like DocM fantasized about.

Nothing harsh about anything being said. He got called out on how he said he'd handle it. He would fail miserably if he were in that situation because he wants to kill first and not even consider other scenarios.

Except his original post shows that his first thought would be to "kill" (quoting that because I honestly believe he wouldn't be able to) the person who robbed him.

You realize how fast and quiet he'd have to be to pull off that little move of his and make zero noise as to not get their attention? He put ZERO thought into what he posted. He jumped into a thread and was quick to make himself look very knowledgeable on this topic (like any other thread he posts in) except he failed this time.

He would be shot as soon as he went for his gun. I know someone who has a permit to carry and he got robbed a few years ago. When asked why he didn't defend himself, he said he knew it was too risky.

Sorry, but anyone who is soo quick to say they'd kill the person, shouldn't have a permit to carry. All that tells me is they have an itchy trigger finger and won't stop to think "Is it worth it to pull my gun out?". Just shoot the person. Don't bother trying to assess the situation at all.

Sorry, but all I can picture is that scene from the last Rambo film where the men are threatening to rape the woman and Rambo just kills all of them in a split second. That's how DocM pictures himself in the situation. In reality, if a person hasn't shot a gun in a while (the film implies Rambo stayed away from violence since the last film so it's been a while since he handled a gun) they are NOT going to be able to pull off that type of move in the film or anything like DocM fantasized about.

Nothing harsh about anything being said. He got called out on how he said he'd handle it. He would fail miserably if he were in that situation because he wants to kill first and not even consider other scenarios.

That's not how I read his post.  But I respect what you are saying and politely disagree.

My original post made it clear I would call them out, that in attempt a citizens arrest which is in the legal code in 49 of our 50 states. Even in #50 it simply goes by another name.

That is hardly coming up with barrels blazing.

As I made clear after that the legal response where I live includes opening fire to complete that citizens arrest, the reason being community protection from armed robbers. While that is also a localized response it is not just one unique to Michigan.

Of course all this would be unnecessary if the chuckleheads didn't do armed robberies, or stopped when called out.

Bottom line: they would planted the poison tree, and ate its fruit.

Personally, whether I was armed or not, I'd give them the bike and wallet.  Life is worth infinitely more than property, even the lives of criminals and mine most especially!

Better a live coward than a dead hero, any day.

(That said, the one time in my life that I got robbed, at knife point, I took the knife off the guy and stuck it in his thigh without even consciously deciding what I was going to do... I just acted on instinct.)