US patent office cancels Washington Redskins trademarks

Protesting the Washington Redskins' nickname on the grounds that it's supposedly racist, an American Indian tribe has purchased a 60-second ad to air during halftime of Game 3 of the NBA Finals.

The ad was slotted for the Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington markets Tuesday night. It aired in Miami during Game 2 of the series.

The Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation of northern California purchased the time for the airing of a 60-second version of the National Congress of American Indians' "Proud To Be" ad. A longer version is available online.

"Native Americans call themselves many things," a man's voice says on the commercial. "The one thing they don't ... "

Here's the longer version of the video.

When I first heard about this, my immediate response was that people were being too sensitive.  Then I thought about it a second.  What if we had a team named the Alabama Negros and their mascot was a huge black person with exaggerated lips and saggy jeans?  As somebody who is part Cherokee and Apache Indian, and who is very proud of that heritage, this video kind of struck a chord with me.

I'm not even from the US, but I must say that, while on one side I totally agree with Gerowen, on the other side I also think that one has to remember the context a word or name is used in.

As long as you don't use a word in a derogatory way no one can be offended by it, no blonde will ever be offended by the term blonde...and no native american can be offended by "redskin" if it isn't used in a derogatory way.

People minds have to change, changing a name won't make a difference for the natives if they are still mistreated everyday by people around them.

Personally I have a lot of respect for native americans, it's really disgusting to think what europeans have done a few centuries ago.

Funny how redskin didn't bother people for decades.

Are they going to rename red skin potatoes too ... ?

I think it's one of those things that developed over time.  Something nobody really thought about at first.  Here's a perfect example.  Drawing black people in this manner was perfectly acceptable when Bugs Bunny and other cartoons were still pretty fresh.  Looking back on it we say things, "Holy crap we let our kids watch that?!"  Then again, maybe I was right in my first assumption about people being too sensitive.

post-125978-0-07485300-1402645420.jpg

I think it's one of those things that developed over time.  Something nobody really thought about at first.  Here's a perfect example.  Drawing black people in this manner was perfectly acceptable when Bugs Bunny and other cartoons were still pretty fresh.  Looking back on it we say things, "Holy crap we let our kids watch that?!"  Then again, maybe I was right in my first assumption about people being too sensitive.

attachicon.gifngbbs4453d072ca72a.jpg

Some months ago, I saw that book: 100 ads that we will never seen again (http://www.amazon.fr/pubs-vous-verrez-plus-jamais/dp/2755610530 Sorry, it is in French)

It listed some extremely racist, sexist or plain stupid ads such as this one

Translation:

I love my wife,

I Love Kronenbourg (This is a beer brand)

My wife buys Kronenbourg in six packs

It is crazy how I love my wife.

Very classy stuff as you might guess.

There was some racist ads in the book too with slogans like this: "a washing powder so efficient that it will transform negros into whites"

The thing is that some societies evolved and changed for the better, and figured out that this was hidden racism/sexism and we are better off without them.

Same with the redskins, time for a new name

post-69836-0-40252200-1402648387.jpg

• Like 2

Not all NA references are so callous.

Our high school was close the Huron River, so named because the area was lagely settled by the Huron tribe. The teams were always referred to as "The Chiefs" and they used a very regal looking Chief in Huron regalia as a logo. They still retain the name and imagery, and the local tribal members see it as honoring their historic connection to the area.

Are they going to rename red skin potatoes too ... ?

And why is that NOBODY has attacked the NFL Kansas City Chiefs, MLB Atlanta Braves, or ACC Florida State Seminoles?

What is even MORE hilarious is that NONE of the locally-based Native American tribes actually LIVING in the SMSA that is home to the Redskins' franchise is complaining.

In other words, why THIS team, as opposed to any of the others?

• Like 2

And why is that NOBODY has attacked the NFL Kansas City Chiefs, MLB Atlanta Braves, or ACC Florida State Seminoles?

What is even MORE hilarious is that NONE of the locally-based Native American tribes actually LIVING in the SMSA that is home to the Redskins' franchise is complaining.

Because it's the team for Washington DC and god forbid DC have a bad image.../s

If they want to do this, let be fair.  Let go over every the name of every single sport team in the US, and change all the offended names.  Stop being cry babies, and leave Redskins alone.  'Redskins' is a proud name for us.  They should thank the team for making the name 'Redskins' become famous and proudly.

Only problem I have with this is it is not consistent.  Cleveland Indians anyone?  I know some people who no like Indian and you must say Native American.

And is Red Skins really a derogatory name? 

So?  I watched all those cartoons and even Dumbo with the crows.  I never once thought anything racist about it until the media/common person started getting sensitive about it.  I also do not treat a person of color differently at all.  I watched looney toons as well, which is now considered violent, and never once had the desire to drop an anvil on someone or blow up a bridge to kill the road runner.  The problem is that people want others to take responsibility for what they need to do...be a parent.

Funny how racial segregation didn't bother people for decades. Society evolves.

I have a feeling that if it was the "Washington Honkies" all the people that say it's not a big deal would be clamoring for it to change.

Proud to be a honkie here. ;)

And is Red Skins really a derogatory name?

No -- it is simply the name of a football team -- nothing more.

Just another thing for people with nothing better to do, to complain about.

All of those teams have been called out, Florida State most notably. Also, having a native american mascot != having your team name be the Redskins.

No -- it is simply the name of a football team -- nothing more.

Just another thing for people with nothing better to do, to complain about.

'Redskins' is a derogatory term; it would be the equivalent of a team being called the 'chinks', 'spics' or 'coons'. It is simply unacceptable. The claim to the name is tenuous at best and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Team names shouldn't offend entire ethnic groups and should be culturally appropriate. It looks like the campaign against the name is gaining a lot of momentum and I see a rebrand coming sooner rather than later, especially if it starts hurting advertising.

Because it's the team for Washington DC and god forbid DC have a bad image.../s

The team itself had the name before moving to Washington - they were the BOSTON Redskins (and prior to that, the Boston Braves) when George Preston Marshall bought the franchise.  The team's history in Washington, DC alone dates back just to 1937 - the 70th anniversary they celebrated was merely that in the DC area.

The Piscataway Indian tribe - native to the area, and one that did NOT get forced into either a reservation OR resettlement - has not complained about the name of the team - ever.  (Yes - their opinion WAS sought - several times - and especially by those in favor of forcing the name-change; said sponsorship has been multiply rejected.)  Oddly enough, not so much as ONE of the Seminole tribes has complained about FSU, either.  (Again, they got asked about it.)  Seems like the majority of the complaints are from those with no standing to complain.

The team itself had the name before moving to Washington - they were the BOSTON Redskins (and prior to that, the Boston Braves) when George Preston Marshall bought the franchise.  The team's history in Washington, DC alone dates back just to 1937 - the 70th anniversary they celebrated was merely that in the DC area.

The Piscataway Indian tribe - native to the area, and one that did NOT get forced into either a reservation OR resettlement - has not complained about the name of the team - ever.  (Yes - their opinion WAS sought - several times - and especially by those in favor of forcing the name-change; said sponsorship has been multiply rejected.)  Oddly enough, not so much as ONE of the Seminole tribes has complained about FSU, either.  (Again, they got asked about it.)  Seems like the majority of the complaints are from those with no standing to complain.

Yes they have.....http://www.wtop.com/41/3399480/Local-Native-Americans-sound-off-on-Redskins-name. They never had their own reservation because they where pushed out of their ancestral lands so many times that, combined with the diseases brought by the white man, were almost completely wiped out. The only reason the identity even survived of this tribe in full spirit was due to Chief Turkey Tayac. Please know your history before you speak.

• Like 2

Yes they have.....http://www.wtop.com/41/3399480/Local-Native-Americans-sound-off-on-Redskins-name. They never had their own reservation because they where pushed out of their ancestral lands so many times that, combined with the diseases brought by the white man, were almost completely wiped out. The only reason the identity even survived of this tribe in full spirit was due to Chief Turkey Tayac. Please know your history before you speak.

And now the man that actually complains is NOT even a member of the tribe he claims to be speaking for.  Look up the identity of "Chief Turkey Tayac" - you might find yourself dismayed by his background.

U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team?s name ?disparaging to Native Americans.?

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

?This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,? said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that ?may disparage? individuals or groups or ?bring them into contempt or disrepute.? The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word ?Redskin.?

?We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,? Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. ?The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.?

Source: The Washington Post

'Redskins' stripped of trademarks

In a major blow to the Washington Redskins, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Wednesday canceled six federal trademarks of the Washington Redskins team name because it was found to be ?disparaging? to Native Americans.

?We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,? the patent office?s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board wrote in a 2-1 decision.

The Redskins team name has become a divisive political issue over the last few years, with even President Barack Obama saying the club should consider changing the name. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Democrats also have pressed owner Dan Snyder to change the name. On the other side, conservatives have either defended keeping the name, arguing that it isn?t disparaging to American Indians, or been silent on the uproar.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/washington-redskins-trademarks-canceled-107990.html

Wow...