Question about partner always holding on my part of the money

So, I'm a graphic designer and web designer. I'm doing freelance work with a friend I know. He has the clients and they are his clients and he gets 50 percent of the cut even though I do most of the work when it comes to WordPress design and update. I can't complain when I can't find clients on my own.

What really pi**y me off is that he holds my part of the money when the job is done for weeks and even a month when he already got the check from the client. Even worst I did some tech support for one of his clients and need business email from godaddy. I had to pay $96 for 5 emails which was okay because I would get the money back when the check came in. Well, check came in and now he want me to give him $250 for shirts and will pay me back in 2 weeks. I'm f*cking up set now because he still owe me from the part of the profit from of my tech support I did on my own and the $96 I had to pay for the email out of my pocket. He said that I will get part of the profit from the shirt sells but I can't stand this type of treatment. I'm flipping out because he always does this crap.

So, I'm a graphic designer and web designer. I'm doing freelance work with a friend I know. (...)

Stop right there. He is not your friend, he is your business partner. Get that? If you don't like or feel abused, talk with him and sort it out, because from your description he seems like a "pimp" and you...well you get it. Not saying it's like that but not all the times it is like that. So after you talked with him and if you still are in the same situation then start getting the clients you need and step away from your friend. People that mixes business with friendships are gonna realize sooner or later that it's pretty much like a marriage, minus the sex part (and even that...)  :laugh:

Also do you have a contract with him? No? Sucks for you...

Stop right there. He is not your friend, he is your business partner. Get that? If you don't like or feel abused, talk with him and sort it out, because from your description he seems like a "pimp" and you...well you get it. Not saying it's like that but not all the times it is like that. So after you talked with him and if you still are in the same situation then start getting the clients you need and step away from your friend. People that mixes business with friendships are gonna realize sooner or later that it's pretty much like a marriage, minus the sex part (and even that...) :laugh:

Also do you have a contract with him? No? Sucks for you...

He is an illegal. Contract would not work. He pays me what I'm owe but waiting up to a month when the check is already in isunacceptable in my book.

What is unacceptable in your book doesn't matter one bit.  The money is in his account, so it's what's acceptable in his book that carries weight.  Moreover, you HAVE accepted it, so why would he bother to do anything else?

And oh my, you entered into an unwritten ad-hoc agreement with an illegal immigrant, to work - which is probably also illegal.

I say this not as an attack but to spur you into making some better decisions:

Before you complain, you may want to look at how foolish your actions are.  You're not a freelancer, you're currently a mug!

What is unacceptable in your book doesn't matter one bit. The money is in his account, so it's what's acceptable in his book that carries weight. Moreover, you HAVE accepted it, so why would he bother to do anything else?

And oh my, you entered into an unwritten ad-hoc agreement with an illegal immigrant, to work - which is probably also illegal.

I say this not as an attack but to spur you into making some better decisions:

Before you complain, you may want to look at how foolish your actions are. You're not a freelancer, you're currently a mug!

Its legal because I declare the money i make in my taxes. His visa expire. All his clients have legal business in the country. Its just that they are all Latin.

Its legal because I declare the money i make in my taxes.

I don't think that alone makes it legal. He's still making an income and you're aiding this. I'm no law junkie, but it sounds illegal to me.

He is an illegal. Contract would not work. He pays me what I'm owe but waiting up to a month when the check is already in isunacceptable in my book.

How would a contact not work? His immigration status has NOTHING to do with a legal binding business contract. So if he lives in the same state as you he still has to abide by local and state laws, and contracts that are notarized still apply.

Civil court doesn't give a damn about his immigration status.

Its legal because I declare the money i make in my taxes. His visa expire. All his clients have legal business in the country. Its just that they are all Latin. 

Not sure you are 100% correct there.

How would a contact not work? His immigration status has NOTHING to do with a legal binding business contract. So if he lives in the same state as you he still has to abide by local and state laws, and contracts that are notarized still apply.

Civil court doesn't give a damn about his immigration status.

The first time I did a job with him he didn't have a contract with the client. After that first experience with Latin / Mexican restaurant clients, I told him that I would not work with him without a contract his clients for any type of job I would get involve.

Stop making excuses for the guy and find yourself a better business partner. At the moment, quite simply, you're being taken advantage of.

• Like 2

Stop making excuses for the guy and find yourself a better business partner. At the moment, quite simply, you're being taken advantage of.

Yes true. I'm in the process of working a full time job. Dont like freelance worm anymore. Been doing it for 3 years and hate every moment.

Approach him and firmly, but politely discuss the issues you are experiencing with him.  Respectfully inform him of your position and ask if it might be advisable to have a contract of some kind clarifying the professional and legal relationship between the two  of you.  If he is unwilling, then let him know you want what he owes you and end any further business with him.

So it's OK to declare the money i make in taxes for the IT i do to a drug cartel? according to your logic...

Anyways, you feel like you are getting robed but still make excuses for this guy? Remember, he is not your friend but your business partner: in my country we do have a say, that goes like this: friends are friends and business is business.

Approach him and firmly, but politely discuss the issues you are experiencing with him.  Respectfully inform him of your position and ask if it might be advisable to have a contract of some kind clarifying the professional and legal relationship between the two  of you.  If he is unwilling, then let him know you want what he owes you and end any further business with him.

Or just claim your friends at Neowin will hack him out!

threaten to report him to the department of homeland security, he'll have your cash in an hour

wow lol