10 GB RAM Installed.Only 3.9 GB Usable

Can you create a text log report using HWINFOx64 and post it here ?

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

Ok.Will be posting the report and the screenshot soon.!!!

I would unplug the computer and pull the BIOS battery.  Let it get a fresh look at things.  It's a hassle to reconfigure, but I think it's worth the effort.

Download CPUz and see what it's reporting.

http://filehippo.com/download_cpuz

I ll be posting CPU-Z report also..!!!

I have seen a few cases of the RAM being unusable on systems (using x64 Windows operating systems).

In most cases, this problem is associated with bend pins.

When certain pins are bend, some of the RAM becomes unusable.

Just make sure your 4gb sticks aren't both next to each other, meaning one stick in the first slot and the second in second slot. 4GB - first slot then the second should be in third slot and the 2GB module in either second or fourth.

Just because your memory might not accept XMP doesn't mean they won't work. Where do people even come up with that? They might not run on the right latencies or mhz but they should work fine. As long as you have the right DDR on the right slot it will work.

Years ago when i upgraded my PC. I had trouble with the ram not being detected in same way as this.

It turns out it was the bios' fault but they hadn't released an update for it yet, as it was relatively new.

A temp fix was the manually set the clock speeds for the memory and then it would use all of the memory.

Another thing that could be affecting ?a long shot?, your memory configuration reads 4/2/4 when it should be 4/4/2 for optimal channeling.

I configured BIOS to default setting and now system takes only 4 GB.

From that I think the root cause is a  BIOS Issue.

Should i try updating BIOS.??

I configured BIOS to default setting and now system takes only 4 GB.

From that I think the root cause is a  BIOS Issue.

Should i try updating BIOS.??

If the ram was read correctly weeks ago then it could be a motherboard issue, specifically an issue with the bios chip if, after the reset, the bios readings are still giving you problems. Or maybe with the ram slots themselves.

Either way, try to update, but take in mind that maybe you might have to replace the mobo.

As alwaysonacoffebreak stated, stick position is important. Most desktop motherboards have two channels/banks (channel 1 - slot 1 and 2; channel 2 - slot 3 and 4).

If you install 4GB (sticks) in slot 2 and 4, and 2GB in slot 3 (or 1), the system may only see the 2GB stick.

I'd try with just two 4GB sticks, installed in slot 1 and 2, before proceeding any further. I presume your 4GB sticks are identical (same manufacturer/speed/part number). If they work (Windows shows over 7GB of RAM available), then I'd buy another 2GB stick and install 2GB sticks in slot 3 and 4, and test that. You should always try to fill a bank - two sticks will be faster than one (but not by much).

From the CPU-Z report, it appears that the memory sticks are installed in correct slots according to the motherboard's documentation.

Also, they have same configuration.

Can you check things as follows ?

1. msconfig as advised by bodmas in earlier post

2. Manually setting the memory speed and timing 9.0-9-9-24-34 @ 666 MHz (667 Mhz) instead of auto -  It can very rarely happen that the machine may not boot after changing the setting, just resetting the BIOS should help. But it's worth a try.

3. Use just 4GB sticks in dual channel configuration DIMM 0 (Slot 1 and 3) of each channel. Check memory reported in Windows if it's correct. Run memory diagnostics.

4. Run memory diagnostics on 2GB RAM if above works, if it doesn't run on each memory stick one by one.

Reseat the CPU in the socket.

Are you using Windows 7 Home Basic?

I am using Windows-7 x64 Ultimate.

From the CPU-Z report, it appears that the memory sticks are installed in correct slots according to the motherboard's documentation.

Also, they have same configuration.

Can you check things as follows ?

1. msconfig as advised by bodmas in earlier post

2. Manually setting the memory speed and timing 9.0-9-9-24-34 @ 666 MHz (667 Mhz) instead of auto -  It can very rarely happen that the machine may not boot after changing the setting, just resetting the BIOS should help. But it's worth a try.

3. Use just 4GB sticks in dual channel configuration DIMM 0 (Slot 1 and 3) of each channel. Check memory reported in Windows if it's correct. Run memory diagnostics.

4. Run memory diagnostics on 2GB RAM if above works, if it doesn't run on each memory stick one by one.

Checked msconfig.exe.No luck..!!!

Sometimes back I loaded default setting in BIOS.

Now Windows is  only taking 4.0 GB of RAM.

It doesn't show anything like 10 GB(3.9 GB Usable).

But when i loaded BIOS in optimal setting it says

"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot. These can be viewed in setup on the event log page WARNING: memory size decreased"

Which bios version do you have? Make sure you have the latest bios update installed. I read through the bios release notes for your board and there are a few changes listed relating to memory configuration.

Checked msconfig.exe.No luck..!!!

Sometimes back I loaded default setting in BIOS.

Now Windows is  only taking 4.0 GB of RAM.

It doesn't show anything like 10 GB(3.9 GB Usable).

But when i loaded BIOS in optimal setting it says

"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot. These can be viewed in setup on the event log page WARNING: memory size decreased"

By no luck you mean that max memory is not set right  ? because by default it shouldn't be.

What about the other 3 steps I mentioned and hwinfox64 report ?

Also it seems one of the memory sticks is probably faulty as the memory shouldn't decrease unless you actually removed one of the memory sticks.

If you can try booting a Linux Live CD, x64 version, just to check if the OS can read the RAM correctly. Also 10GB doesn't sound like a correct RAM configuration; some older mainboards (their BIOS, in fact) won't even boot at all.

If the Linux Live CD can read and use the whole 10GB then it's a Windows problem; if it can't then can be either a BIOS limitation (a BIOS *might* resolve it, you have to read the release notes for it) or a channel problem.

• Like 2

If you can try booting a Linux Live CD, x64 version, just to check if the OS can read the RAM correctly. Also 10GB doesn't sound like a correct RAM configuration; some older mainboards (their BIOS, in fact) won't even boot at all.

If the Linux Live CD can read and use the whole 10GB then it's a Windows problem; if it can't then can be either a BIOS limitation (a BIOS *might* resolve it, you have to read the release notes for it) or a channel problem.

There is nothing wrong with 10GB of RAM, it's not a normal amount because he's mixed 2GB and 4GB sticks but it should have full compatibility with any motherboard.

I've had motherboards from 1997 that can boot with 192MB etc. RAM

There is nothing wrong with 10GB of RAM, it's not a normal amount because he's mixed 2GB and 4GB sticks but it should have full compatibility with any motherboard.

I've had motherboards from 1997 that can boot with 192MB etc. RAM

i know it's not an abnormal amount, but the problem with mixing RAM in older mainboards with crappy BIOS it leads to unpredicted results; i have seen it Abit, MSI and other mainboards. Usually a BIOS update resolves, but sometimes having a RAM that it wasn't in the OEM tested list can even lead to being in a unsupported configuration. And yeah, i old enough to even tried to mix 32MB of RAM with 64MB and so on..

I had an issue like this a while back. The bios showed all memory slots populated 4gigs in each slot. Boot screen would only show 8gigs when there was 16gigs total. Windows reported 16gigs total and only 8 gigs available. I replaced memory still same problem swapped mb still the same problem. Figured out it was my proc. it has an issue. When I replaced the proc. it fixed my problem. It was an Amd 965. I know you have an Intel proc but it could be the same issue.