Crysis developer Crytek denies "verge of bankruptcy" claim

That's exactly the case. Crytek named their budget, MS paid for it. They were a contractor. If they lost money on that project it's purely because of bad management.

Even if that is true, does it account for the fact that while they were devoting time to Ryse, they weren't working on other games that would have done more than break even?

Even if that is true, does it account for the fact that while they were devoting time to Ryse, they weren't working on other games that would have done more than break even?

Considering you don't really know if a game will break even until it's done so, that's hard to do.

• Like 1

What you say is logical, but Ryse was assured income as presumably MS paid for everything. It is very possible Crytek lost money on it, but again, if they did it's through their own mismanagement. Could they have made more money working on other things? Possible, but would have been a gamble. Even if you don't like Ryse and think it was a bad game, it was true to the Crytek business model of only developing games that have secured a publisher. I believe if indeed Crytek is faltering it's because the Yerli bros have been overly risk-prone and have started to abandon this business model by taking on projects that don't have good prospects of being published, like their F2P stuff. This could be due to having a desire to become a publisher. All legitimate wishes, but risky.  

I just hope we get to see a Ryse 2. For all of the flack it has taken, I still enjoyed the game and felt there was a lot of potential for a series. So much that they could refine and add to flesh out the experience.

• Like 1

I just hope we get to see a Ryse 2. For all of the flack it has taken, I still enjoyed the game and felt there was a lot of potential for a series. So much that they could refine and add to flesh out the experience.

Same here, don't agree with the public flogging Ryse got, liked it a lot. Very polished and solid experience. At any rate if MS really want to they have the resources to resurrect it under a different name, as it seems the current arrangement has Crytek holding on to the Ryse identity. When MS want to they can bring Phantom Dust back to life after a decade and out of nowhere, so Ryse should not be a problem. Anyway, back to the topic, Ryse is probably the least of Crytek's problems. Warface and the Yerli obsession with beating World of Tanks or whatever is what's hurting the studio, in my opinion.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

I'm sure both Microsoft and Sony are at least looking at the possibility with all the news, but I'm willing to bet that "insider" is full of crap. Why do people actually listen to these guys when they constantly get information completely and utterly wrong? The fact that these people are even called "insiders" is absurd.

• Like 1

While Far Cry was great, I found Crysis to be thoroughly mediocre once you looked past the shiny graphics. 

I think Crysis in its time had some amazing mechanics. It wasnt all about the graphics, although it was fairly intensive. 

• Like 1

I'm sure both Microsoft and Sony are at least looking at the possibility with all the news, but I'm willing to bet that "insider" is full of crap. Why do people actually listen to these guys when they constantly get information completely and utterly wrong? The fact that these people are even called "insiders" is absurd.

Oh please dont let MS buy Crytek, there goes my cryengine access.

I think Crysis in its time had some amazing mechanics. It wasnt all about the graphics, although it was fairly intensive. 

True, I meant the storyline was mediocre, the characters too. I didn't care at all about them when they died. 

Crytek has eight different subsidiaries...

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were being slimmed or shut down, but this whole rumor seemed silly from the start.

No one is buying Crytek, though if it came to that sadly it's most likely to be their favorite publisher, EA...not MS.

No one is buying Crytek, though if it came to that sadly it's most likely to be their favorite publisher, EA...not MS.

I don't think EA has the money or the desire to buy out any more companies, especially ones that do engine development (which they aleady do) and FPSes (which they already do.)

I don't think EA has the money or the desire to buy out any more companies, especially ones that do engine development (which they aleady do) and FPSes (which they already do.)

Yeah, i was just speculating and it's very unlikely in any case. I wish Crytek all the best, and hope these stories are not true, or at least exaggerated.

• 4 weeks later...