A good, reliable gigabit router

Well can get it here for $85, no tax (amazon) and no shipping..  So they make a killing on selling them there vs here..  Makes no sense!

Since the OS is pretty much just linux based (debian) - its like running a firewall/router distro on dedicated hardware is all.  Its a win win!!  I would clearly go with one of these if I ever wanted to go with dedicated router vs my VM currently.

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax#EdgeMAXsoftware

Open Platform

The EdgeOS platform is not just a router operating system. It is also an open platform based on the Debian? Linux distribution. You have complete system-level access including the whole filesystem hierarchy, real shell, root user, etc. Existing Debian? packages can be installed on the system, and you can even build your own packages using standard tools.

I have even seen some chatter about pfsense running on that hardware ;)

I know BSD can boot on the platform but I don't think it has access to the acceration festures of the proccessor as you have to signup to the cavium SDK in order to be able to access them and they need propraitary modules to activate.

If you don't want to access these specific features I believe it's bog standard mips with a fairly open bootloader.

It's definately possible to get into the bootloader and network boot the thing as there's an unoffical recovery kit that does just that.

Very true on possible acceleration for specific cpu type, other hardware, etc. But the ability to modify/add to the standard OS they are running or the ability to run other OSes on the hardware make it great choice.

The user of the device has options this way, maybe they don't need acceleration modules? And need something specific that is only supported in another OS. The fact that its not locked down and can run other OSes or applications on the OS installed by default make a really sweet platform -- especially at the price and form factor, could be a great low budget device for use in home or small branch offices or smbs, etc.

Love to see companies like this bringing enterprise feature sets at a reasonable prices! Its a win win for everyone involved.

Yep

Although I'm tempted to try one of the new Alix APU boards as those are standard x86, have 3 nics and either 2 or 4gb RAM, and boot off of SD card. they also fit in the same enclosures the 2D3's did.