Perp robs wrong store - oopsie

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Woman-Who-Killed-Alleged-Robber-I-Forgot-My-Gun-Earlier-That-Day-264469251.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

Sharon Doyle forgot to bring her gun to work on Monday. Her decision to go home to retrieve it may have ultimately saved her life.

The 46-year-old store owner returned to Stan?s Health Foods in the Mayfair section of the city later that day. As she continued to work alone, police say a 47-year-old man entered the store with a knife in hand, immediately announcing a robbery.

The man went behind the counter, grabbed the register and threw it to the ground, forcing it open, according to investigators. After grabbing some cash, he allegedly stood up and put his knife to Doyle?s chest.

Unbeknownst to him, Doyle was armed not only with her .38 revolver but also years of law enforcement training. Before becoming a store owner, Doyle worked as a Secret Service agent in Philadelphia, protecting visiting dignitaries such as President Bush. She?s also a former Philadelphia Police Officer.

?I was in a few different areas of law enforcement,? Doyle said. ?For family life it really wasn?t working out quite the way I wanted it to and it led me here.?

While she is no longer on the force, Doyle never forgot what she learned. It was that knowledge that she credits with giving her the ability to fight back.

?I just went into a mode like this is what has to be done,? Doyle said. ?One of us is walking out of the door and it?s gonna be me.?

Doyle pulled out her weapon and fired, striking the man in the torso. He collapsed to the ground and Doyle called police.

?When police arrived he was behind the counter, unconscious on the ground,? said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small. ?He still had a $100 bill clutched in his left hand."

The unidentified man, who police say had a lengthy criminal record for burglary, was taken to Aria-Torresdale Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 p.m. Police say the shooting was a justifiable homicide and charges will not be filed.

>

• Like 2

Now that's what I'm talking about!  :woot:

Edit: Awaits the leftist who will cry about the loss of this piece of garbage who had no value for human life at all, and the anti-gun people who will say that she should have let her store get robbed.

Edit: Awaits the leftist who will cry about the loss of this piece of garbage who had no value for human life at all, and the anti-gun people who will say that she should have let her store get robbed.

You have some funny ideas about "lefties" and anti-gun people, and if that's how you actually think of us, you've clearly been brainwashed.

You have some funny ideas about "lefties" and anti-gun people, and if that's how you actually think of us, you've clearly been brainwashed.

How often do you listen in to gun debates in articles like this?

Just as Doc said, it's true.

You bring a knife to a gunfight/robbery? Well, if he would have carried a shotgun/rifle, Doyle could ###### on her years of training.

They say God protects thiefs too, the ones wich strive to feed their family and steal without hurting anyone. I ain't that religious myself so I may be wrong.

[point at Warwagon]

It was him who broke in..   he has a scream mask.

[remembering the photos of Warwagon's security cam footage]

:p

774783_10151938533847768_119833843_o.jpg

I have seen people on this forum actually make those suggestions in situations like this.  That the woman should have let the store get robbed, that she shouldn't have had a gun, and that it's horrible that she shot him.  It has become so commonplace to hear crap like that, we come to expect it any more.

Gerowen, on 25 Jun 2014 - 21:50, said:Gerowen, on 25 Jun 2014 - 21:50, said:

I have seen people on this forum actually make those suggestions in situations like this.  That the woman should have let the store get robbed, that she shouldn't have had a gun, and that it's horrible that she shot him.  It has become so commonplace to hear crap like that, we come to expect it any more.

There are specific situations where someone who has a gun is justified in using it. This is one of those situations, however not every encounter could fall under that. If he had simply robbed the store, she could have pulled he gun to stop him, and if he resisted then used it, but if he gave up, she would have no reason to shoot. However, from the article he appeared to threaten her further after looting the cash, which is justified means to shoot him.

Robbery is no reason to kill someone, only if they are an immediate threat to your life should you be justified in using this force. No means defending the act of it, but I prefer to live in a world where the punishment fits the crime. Stealing some money from a corner store doesn't really seem to deserve the death penalty.

People tend to see the debate as black and white, either "full gun rights, shoot anyone" or "take all the guns away". In truth the best solution lies in a careful balance between the two.

There are specific situations where someone who has a gun is justified in using it. This is one of those situations, however not every encounter could fall under that. If he had simply robbed the store, she could have pulled he gun to stop him, and if he resisted then used it, but if he gave up, she would have no reason to shoot. However, from the article he appeared to threaten her further after looting the cash, which is justified means to shoot him.

Robbery is no reason to kill someone, only if they are an immediate threat to your life should you be justified in using this force. No means defending the act of it, but I prefer to live in a world where the punishment fits the crime. Stealing some money from a corner store doesn't really seem to deserve the death penalty.

People tend to see the debate as black and white, either "full gun rights, shoot anyone" or "take all the guns away". In truth the best solution lies in a careful balance between the two.

I agree.  I was just pointing out to Speedy that people have actually said the things he scoffed at.  Here in Kentucky, you can shoot somebody for trying to set your barn on fire, but not for tresspassing in general.  If they just happen to be on your property, you can't shoot them, unless of course your efforts to remove them escalate to a point where you are in fear for your life; otherwise you have to call the cops.  Likewise I told my wife when she was working that if somebody tried to rob the store, to just let them have at it and not to pull her weapon unless she herself was threatened.  We have no stake in that store or its merchandise, and they make more money in an 8 hour shift than a lot of people in this country make in a year, so they can afford the loss, and it's not worth getting yourself sent to jail for.

In this situation, I say good riddance to bad rubbish.  He had a history of burglary, and was apparently not afraid to apply lethal force, so there's one more oxygen thief down as far as I'm concerned.

Simple robbery may not be a reason to shoot someone, but armed robbery (edged weapon or tool, a club, screwdriver, gun, tire iron, hammer etc.) most certainly IS. The implied threat is the justification.

Also, a simple B&E during daylight in an empty home is not as serious as if someone is occupying it or if it occurs at night. The latter two items make it a Home Invasion which is definitely a justification to shoot.

5 years in the Marine Corps and deployments to Afghanistan, I understand escalation of force. If the guy didn't have a knife I'd say pepper spray him so he thinks twice. He is one of those people too stupid to learn, and not an ounce of good in him.

DocM, on 25 Jun 2014 - 22:34, said:

Simple robbery may not be a reason to shoot someone, but armed robbery (edged weapon or tool, a club, screwdriver, gun, tire iron, hammer etc.) most certainly IS. The implied threat is the justification.

Also, a simple B&E during daylight in an empty home is not as serious as if someone is occupying it or if it occurs at night. The latter two items make it a Home Invasion which is definitely a justification to shoot.

So someone walks into your store holding a screwdriver and says they are going to rob the place. You are armed with a gun. You are saying you can simply pull out the gun and kill them without saying a word?

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

So someone walks into your store holding a screwdriver and says they are going to rob the place. You are armed with a gun. You are saying you can simply pull out the gun and kill them without saying a word?

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

Are you implying a screwdriver cannot be used as a deadly weapon?  Interesting.

It seems to me that if he was close enough to stab her, she was justified.

Knives can kill people too.  Lets pull out that gun and announce it and see if they don't stab!  That wouldn't be a risk I would take.

I rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.  Just sayin.

You have every right to pull out your gun and tell them to back off, and only if they don't should you pull the trigger.

There are numerous decision points, and the CPL (concealed pistol license) training (required) covers them and the legalistics. Tactical training teaches you how to do it. There are 3 state certified CPL programs just in our small city. Some police departments offer them.

You first attempt to do the Citizens Arrest, yes. In 49 states citizens have limited police powers in situations like this.

If they attack, bang. Their bad.

If they flee then in many states the Fleeing Felon Rule allows the use of force to effect the arrest.

If the vast majority of the US, if you break into someone's home at 3:00 AM you have high odds of getting shot.