Android L

Google-Material-Design-multiplatform-640

I think it?s safe to say we?re all pretty hyped about the upcoming Android L release, the next version of Android that looks to pretty things up with Google?s new Material redesign. As part of Google?s new found focus on design, the search giant is already providing developers with a handy resource page.

The page discusses all the dos and don?ts in regard to the new Material design and in the process, it appears Google may have let slip some of their Google apps getting the fresh new facelift. While in many cases, these were simply mockups to provide developers with examples of how to use Material, sifting through the guidelines were able to find a few that we believe can be called legit ?leaks.? Let?s take a look.

Settings

Android-L-Settings-Material-640x284.jpg

New for Android L is a redesigned Settings app and although it may appear to be rocking a dark theme in these images, we?ve seen some hands-on with L showing an all new light theme. So what gives? Well, we don?t think Google will allow users to choose between a dark and light theme with Android L, this is probably just an example of Settings using Material?s dark theme. Oh, and check out that redesigned Apps Settings, it looks absolutely gorge.

Contacts

Android-L-Material-Contacts-640x571.jpg

More...

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/25/android-l-google-apps-material-design/

I personally think they are going the wrong direction with their new material design idea.

• Like 2

Not to mention adding z-index like thing and real time shadows and too much animations and transitions.. People already complain these things.. Now more sauce on it..

Hopeful that ART can compensate that otherwise I don't like Material design myself...

Anyone else seeing the on screen buttons looking like the PS controller? All it needs now is a 4 button for X...

Now that you mention it.. yes, I agree. 

You can tell that Google are following Apple and Microsoft in flattening the UI. The screenshots look good - I reserve full judgement until having had the chance to use Android L though.

When I saw those images I thought I was looking at Windows 8. It's far from identical, but the feel is similar.

• Like 2

Yea, lots of similarities across the board.. I dunno though I kind of like it, getting rather bored with the older glossy/gradients/transparency/etc looks from previous versions of the various OS's.

I personally love the aesthetic, to the point I believe it is now enough to convince me not to go back to an iPhone for my next phone (I am due for a new phone next month from Verizon).

However I have been torn about the decision to be honest, I have no issues with Android overall, in fact I prefer it, but what I do have issues with is all of the extra crap it seems all manufactures put on top of it to brand their phone's "experience," especially Verizon themselves. Unfortunately as far as I know Verizon does not offer any of the phones that give you the stock Android experience with nothing else.

Does anyone know if there is any Android phone that Verizon offers that is stock? And/or is there a way to install the stock experience on any of the phones without voiding contracts, etc?

Why the heck is it good for them to make this a copy of ios7-8 and wp? Why not making something unique?

Anyone else seeing the on screen buttons looking like the PS controller? All it needs now is a 4th button for X...

that was the first thing i thought of when they announced it.

Why the heck is it good for them to make this a copy of ios7-8 and wp? Why not making something unique?

I would not say they are copying more than just going with the current trends in design.

Cant really say i like the direction this is going in, just seems so lifeless and boring.

Google are trying way too hard to copy everything i don't personally like about the Modern UI on Windows.

I really like it. It's flat, but that's probably where the similarities end. It makes use of a lot more animations than Metro, the contrast and typography are really different, and unlike iOS they're not going with the whole superthin transparency/blur stuff.

If it's implemented right in apps, I can imagine it could really make apps come alive.

I kind of like it! The fluid animations are what's gonna save this. However, I wonder if most Android apps will bother to match Google's effort...

I personally love the aesthetic, to the point I believe it is now enough to convince me not to go back to an iPhone for my next phone (I am due for a new phone next month from Verizon).

However I have been torn about the decision to be honest, I have no issues with Android overall, in fact I prefer it, but what I do have issues with is all of the extra crap it seems all manufactures put on top of it to brand their phone's "experience," especially Verizon themselves. Unfortunately as far as I know Verizon does not offer any of the phones that give you the stock Android experience with nothing else.

Does anyone know if there is any Android phone that Verizon offers that is stock? And/or is there a way to install the stock experience on any of the phones without voiding contracts, etc?

The Moto X, it's gotten great reviews.  It's not completely stock but it's pretty damn close and receives updates quick.

http://www.motorola.com/us/FLEXR1-1/Moto-X/FLEXR1.html

Not a huge fan personally. The colors are a little too flashy and looks a little childish to me. Doesn't feel very stylish to me but to each their own.

Moto X is the closest pure stock Android Verizon offers.  However, the new Moto Droid line is pretty near close to stock and has been getting better response on updates as well.  Droid Razr M got KitKat a couple months ago.  New Droid lines are actually pretty nice.

The Moto X, it's gotten great reviews.  It's not completely stock but it's pretty damn close and receives updates quick.

http://www.motorola.com/us/FLEXR1-1/Moto-X/FLEXR1.html

Moto X is the closest pure stock Android Verizon offers.  However, the new Moto Droid line is pretty near close to stock and has been getting better response on updates as well.  Droid Razr M got KitKat a couple months ago.  New Droid lines are actually pretty nice.

Nice thanks. I did not realize this.

Would be going back full circle actually as my very first Android phone was the Motorola Droid. And now that I think about it I barely remember any crap except Verizon's apps. This was awhile back now but I do remember rooting it incredibly easy back then.

Nice thanks. I did not realize this.

Would be going back full circle actually as my very first Android phone was the Motorola Droid. And now that I think about it I barely remember any crap except Verizon's apps. This was awhile back now but I do remember rooting it incredibly easy back then.

Rooting is even more easy these days.  Just takes minutes and for a lot of phones, all you have to do is connect your phone, run a program, and sit back and wait a few minutes.  Same goes for going back to stock.

I would really look in to the Moto X first.  Got really good reviews and comments.  My mom got one of the new Droids tho and they are pretty nice.  Really slim, think she has the Razr M, and feels light.  I would recommend going to the Verizon store and looking at the display.  Also, Verizon allows you to bring back the phone before 14 days if you dont like it. 

Google-Material-Design-multiplatform-640

I think it?s safe to say we?re all pretty hyped about the upcoming Android L release, the next version of Android that looks to pretty things up with Google?s new Material redesign. As part of Google?s new found focus on design, the search giant is already providing developers with a handy resource page.

The page discusses all the dos and don?ts in regard to the new Material design and in the process, it appears Google may have let slip some of their Google apps getting the fresh new facelift. While in many cases, these were simply mockups to provide developers with examples of how to use Material, sifting through the guidelines were able to find a few that we believe can be called legit ?leaks.? Let?s take a look.

Settings

Android-L-Settings-Material-640x284.jpg

New for Android L is a redesigned Settings app and although it may appear to be rocking a dark theme in these images, we?ve seen some hands-on with L showing an all new light theme. So what gives? Well, we don?t think Google will allow users to choose between a dark and light theme with Android L, this is probably just an example of Settings using Material?s dark theme. Oh, and check out that redesigned Apps Settings, it looks absolutely gorge.

Contacts

Android-L-Material-Contacts-640x571.jpg

More...

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/25/android-l-google-apps-material-design/

L is shaping up to be more platform-neutral than KitKat - which is why I'm waiting to see what the x86 porting team does with it.

I'm ALSO waiting to see what the impact will be on applications going forward, as I absolutely LOATHE single-target-platform/mode apps.

The thing that sticks out to me is the new multitasking window. You can see less, in the current one you can see 4 apps at the same time. Now all you see are title bars.

I like it but a lot of wasted space at the top ... A LOT!

here is a before and after after I did a little bit of correcting

14329247438_ef1cfb96cf_o.jpg

14329190109_a745e1cd03_b.jpg

• Like 1

Personally I think it's an improvement, as Android was definitely in need of a refresh. Having said that I'm mostly interested in the apps and performance improvements, as I use the Aviate launcher and the Lumos icon pack and much prefer it to stock Android or Samsung's TouchWiz.

As Warwagon pointed out, there is a lot of wasted space that isn't used to display content - in that respect it bears similarities to Metro. Still, with the animations, expanding sections and such it does enough to distinguish itself. The problem with Metro is that Microsoft forced desktop users to run apps fullscreen, which highlighted how wasteful it is when it comes to screen real estate - while that benefited Metro on phones and tablets it was catastrophic on desktop. That will change in a coming Windows 8.1 update but the damage to its reputation is already done.