Which HDMI port?

Hey everyone :)

So i have a question that could be really silly. But have to ask as i do not know the answer.

To take advantage of my graphics card do i need to be using the hdmi port on that. Or can i still plug in to the on board hdmi? Also how will that work with dual monitors?

(machine not built yet, parts ordered)

ROG Maximus Hero VI / MSI GTX 660 TwinFrozr

Thanks.

So 48 views and no reply...  either its a super silly question you cant be bothered answering... or none of you know lol.

To take advantage of my graphics card do i need to be using the hdmi port on that.

Yes so that it the hdmi port is running off the the graphics card and not the on board.

• Like 2

Yes so that it the hdmi port is running off the the graphics card and not the on board.

As PeterUK said, you need to use the HDMI port on the graphics card.

There is software called Lucid MVP which allows you to use the onboard Intel Graphics and it then switches to the NVIDIA graphics when needed.

I have never managed to get this working in Windows 8 and when it did work in Windows 7 it was a bit flakey and sometimes caused massive headaches :(

Hopefully they manage to get it working better in the future :)

I doubt dual monitor setup will be a good thing (or even work) if you're using the hdmi port on your video card and the on-board one, is that even possible? :P

I have ordered a ASUS H87-PLUS which has on-board hdmi, dvi and vga. I'll be using the hdmi and dvi (on board) outputs for my dual monitor setup.

Haswell allows you to use the iGPU and Discrete without any additional software. Just enable "iGPU Multimonitor" in the BIOS and the Intel GPU should become available at the same time.

Haswell allows you to use the iGPU and Discrete without any additional software. Just enable "iGPU Multimonitor" in the BIOS and the Intel GPU should become available at the same time.

It doesn't do that by default? Oh OK :p My CPU is/will be an i5 4th gen Haswell (3.2GHz). Just to be clear, that also supports multi monitor without the need for a video card right?

My video card has 2x dvi and an Hdmi on it... why wouldnt i be able to run dual monitors?

My video card has 2x dvi and an Hdmi on it... why wouldnt i be able to run dual monitors?

I didn't say that, I said it might not work if you use the onboard hdmi port on the motherboard and the one on the video card :)

I didn't say that, I said it might not work if you use the onboard hdmi port on the motherboard and the one on the video card :)

My bad i misread your post... my brain is fried and all my parts are not even here yet. Appologies.

I have one on the Graphics card and one on the motherboard. I use the one on the card connected to my monitor and the other to my TV, so both work for me. It shows the TV as a second monitor.

Yeah it was answered above, apparently you have to enable something in the BIOS for it to work correctly "enable "iGPU Multimonitor"" :)

Remember that HDMI = DVI with audio. You can get extremely cheap DVI to HDMI adapters/cables if you want to connect HDMI monitors without sound. That way you could run 3 monitors off your GPU without having to use the onboard HDMI connection.

Remember that HDMI = DVI with audio. You can get extremely cheap DVI to HDMI adapters/cables if you want to connect HDMI monitors without sound. That way you could run 3 monitors off your GPU without having to use the onboard HDMI connection.

DVI does sound too.

I use a DVI-HDMI cable for my TV and get sound from the TV :)

DVI does sound too.

I use a DVI-HDMI cable for my TV and get sound from the TV :)

On some GPU's with the included adapters, but it's not part of the DVI spec so you can't count on it.