Samsung LED TV (UE40EH5300W) backlight issues and color bleed

I bought a 40" Samsung Smart TV that is supposedly an older model (UE40EH5300W) and at a decent price of just ?359 but it has backlight flickering and color bleeding after being on for more than an hour. Although I bought it just 11 days ago and received it a couple of days later I can't really return it because I bought their last one and they don't plan on restocking. Plus I don't want a refund, I want this TV, not another (because it's also a Smart TV, for that money! :D).

So I decided to go the warranty route and am now busy with Samsung who have confirmed the issue with Remote Assistance, and will send out a guy to either repair or replace, although they did remind me of my consumer rights to the retailer, they are still going ahead with the warranty process.

As an example of the problem, yesterday I watched Colombia v Uruguay and I could only stomach the first half before it became unwatchable (due to the TV, not the performance of the game) :p

Luckily I have a 32" LED in my bedroom (which is also Samsung) so I just watched the second half on that lol.

Interestingly Samsung told me that this TV was destined for the Hungarian market (probably why it was so cheap)  so my CI+ Module and "some apps" might not work in The Netherlands, it does work though, and this doesn't seem to have any bearing on the warranty process.

Some example shots below of the problem, and the last photo is an example of the 32" Samsung LED TV in my bedroom (these were requested by Samsung on email).

Below is an example of a HD channel (Nederland 1 HD) on the 40"

post-2-0-72490500-1404029902.jpg

post-2-0-66080300-1404029905.jpg

post-2-0-03543500-1404029911.jpg

32" Samsung LED TV for comparison (not even a HD channel)

post-2-0-07104500-1404029913.jpg

Is this sort of thing common? I have a suspicion that this was a store demo, but sold "as new".

I bought a brand new 55" 7000 series Samsung ... two years warranty. After a while I noticed a couple of dead pixels and called the shop who took the TV away and replaced the panel. The replacement panel was appalling - the image was very cloudy. I called them back ... and they kept changing the panel .. 5 times in total. I've since deleted the images but the service repair fellas must've thought I was a bit of a pedantic ###### - but I wasn't happy with the image and kept pushing and pushing until I eventually said enough is enough and demanded a new TV. They met my demands and replaced the screen --- 18 months into it's warranty. Am quite happy with the service and support from Samsung.

Yeah I have no complaints about their warranty process, only that it's a little slower than I liked. First off they got my email address wrong, but they sent a text message asking why I hadn't responded to their questions yet (started all this on Tuesday) and I phoned them on Wednesday afternoon, the remote assist was on Friday morning after I had sent them an email with the above photos and clarification of the issue, I was then told I'd be called "within 48 hours" for a in-house repair or swap, but I didn't hear anything yet (possibly due to the weekend and them not calling on a Saturday).

I have high hopes this will be sorted next week, because so far they have been extremely helpful and have suggested I need a replacement.

I've had my 32" since feb last year and no complaints at all there.

Oh, and in their service email it also says that a replacement model "is available" which might suggest that the technician will have one when they come to my house.

Steve its not common and I think you were indeed sold a dud. Then again my 40inch is the model up from that one, so it could be that the one you got just hasn't got the quality build of the others. 

4488054.jpg

I can't see anything online about the problems you describe on your's. If you can take it back id say and get a replacement. Check it in store before you take it home too :)

Steve its not common and I think you were indeed sold a dud. Then again my 40inch is the model up from that one, so it could be that the one you got just hasn't got the quality build of the others. 

4488054.jpg

I can't see anything online about the problems you describe on your's. If you can take it back id say and get a replacement. Check it in store before you take it home too :)

Here you go http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-Samsung-LN46C630-screen-flickering-issu/, and yes I couldn't find the same problem with my specific model, the issue seems to affect larger screens more so than the smaller ones. 

Welcome to the Samsung Panel Lottery. Samsung panels being the best.

You can tell which panel YOUR TV has by the "Version" on the sticker outside of the box. There's also a sticker on the back of the TV; the "Version" code is below the Model number and above the S/N. BTW, reviews can't be interpreted without the four-digit Version code because they are quite simply different TV's. Here's how to interpret them:
("x" means a number, probably from 1-4, that represents the version of that panel - higher means newer but not always better).

TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle. I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.
A_0X: AOU A-MVA panel: Even lower contrast ratio.
CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chimea S-MVA panel: You lost the lottery. Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for this topic, they came out and initially swapped the motherboard which didn't fix the issue (saw right away) so they took it and swapped out the panel, got it back around 4 days later (because they had to order the panel) and has been fine ever since :)