32" Dell 4K monitor

And I have to agree that support for 4K is somewhat flaky at the moment.  There is no cable standard that purports to supporting it through a single channel.  Most of the affordable monitors are TN panels. The windows desktop doesn't play nice with the displays quite yet, as so many apps (including some professional ones) completely ignore the DPI settings.

support isnt flaky in windows 8.1. It works great. nvidia has great driver support. HDMI works over a single channel...

all affordable monitors use TN panels...

The windows desktop works great, again, in 8.1. DPI scaling and text support works fine.

support isnt flaky in windows 8.1. It works great. nvidia has great driver support. HDMI works over a single channel...

all affordable monitors use TN panels...

The windows desktop works great, again, in 8.1. DPI scaling and text support works fine.

SST mode over HDMI is fine if you do not mind 30Hz at all.  60Hz is only available in MST mode and the monitor has to support it.  It also requires a Display Port 1.2 video card.  Until I can run a 4K monitor in SST at 60Hz, they are a no go.  They need to get tcons out that can handle SST at 60Hz on a single panel vs using the dual panel design they are now.  I am sitting out on 4K until they are a single panel inside, IPS with true 10Bit color (the Dell 28" 4K uses an IPS 8bit dithering to get "10bit) and 60Hz over SST.  Then I will look more into 4K.

SST mode over HDMI is fine if you do not mind 30Hz at all. 60Hz is only available in MST mode and the monitor has to support it. It also requires a Display Port 1.2 video card. Until I can run a 4K monitor in SST at 60Hz, they are a no go. They need to get tcons out that can handle SST at 60Hz on a single panel vs using the dual panel design they are now. I am sitting out on 4K until they are a single panel inside, IPS with true 10Bit color (the Dell 28" 4K uses an IPS 8bit dithering to get "10bit) and 60Hz over SST. Then I will look more into 4K.

Thanks. That is exactly what I meant.