Target asks its customers to kindly not shop while armed with guns

You made the claim. You back it up.

I feel like it should go without saying. But I'll give you a hint. Guns are featured in an olympic sport.

Now, if guns (we're generalizing, because it's fun and the popular thing to do) were only meant to kill people they would not be featured in an olympic sport, would they?

Also. I'm not the one who made the initial claim that guns (specifically AR-15s) were used only to kill, which I know for a fact to be false. How come you guys don't have to provide proof to back that claim up but I do for mine.

I feel like it should go without saying. But I'll give you a hint. Guns are featured in an olympic sport.

Now, if guns (we're generalizing, because it's fun and the popular thing to do) were only meant to kill people they would not be featured in an olympic sport, would they?

Please show me the olympic sport that includes a AR15 or combat shotgun or a police issue Berretta 9 mm.

olympic guns are specialized competition shooters, and they make terrible assault and defence weapons. 

• Like 2

Please show me the olympic sport that includes a AR15 or combat shotgun or a police issue Berretta 9 mm.

olympic guns are specialized competition shooters, and they make terrible assault and defence weapons. 

I didn't say they were used in olympic events did I?

Guns were created for one purpose and one purpose only. To kill. That doesn't mean people can't or won't use them for other purposes.

Cars were created as a means of transportation, but people have used them to race, to crash into each other, as sculptures, collectors items, etc. That doesn't change why they were created. Likewise, regardless of what guns CAN be used for, they were created as weapons to kill.

And, let's  be honest, their uses outside of killing are quite limited.

Guns were created for one purpose and one purpose only. To kill. That doesn't mean people can't or won't use them for other purposes.

Cars were created as a means of transportation, but people have used them to race, to crash into each other, as sculptures, collectors items, etc. That doesn't change why they were created. Likewise, regardless of what guns CAN be used for, they were created as weapons to kill.

And, let's  be honest, their uses outside of killing are quite limited.

So? If we're making claims without providing any sort of proof I would say that far more people own guns, even AR-15s, who will never kill people with them, than those that do.

And it's funny you mention cars. Because yearly (in the US) they kill around 15 times as many people as guns. And that's without people even trying.

Societies differ.  I'm not afraid for the safety of my family at all, not even when I'm not there.  I have no need to protect my family because there really is nothing to protect them from.  Sure, there's crime here, but it's rare for that crime to involve violence; rare enough that it's just not something you need to worry about.

Even in the cities, where crime is much higher, people have no need to go around armed to protect themselves...

I feel quite sad that so many American's have to go through their lives so afraid that they have to walk around like Rambo just to feel safe...

This is why we need to cut Americans a little slack. Living out one's life in a demi-warzone, with the ever present threat of violent death, real or imagined, has got to be psychologically draining.....

Guns aren't made only to kill. Which you clearly think is the case.

They are made with the intention to end life. If you use it for other purposes, that doesn't change what they are "designed" to do.

They are made with the intention to end life. If you use it for other purposes, that doesn't change what they are "designed" to do.

Okay.

So? If we're making claims without providing any sort of proof I would say that far more people own guns, even AR-15s, who will never kill people with them, than those that do.

And it's funny you mention cars. Because yearly (in the US) they kill around 15 times as many people as guns. And that's without people even trying.

This isn't about intent. I own guns and I do not intend to kill anyone. That, however, doesn't change why the guns I own were created. I don't need to prove guns were created to kill. That's a generally accepted fact. A gun is a weapon. Anyone disputing that is either disingenuous or delusional.

And, it's funny you mention automobile related deaths in the U.S. So, I take it you'd be in favor of applying the same sort of regulation to guns as you would cars?

This is why we need to cut Americans a little slack. Living out one's life in a demi-warzone, with the ever present threat of violent death, real or imagined, has got to be psychologically draining.....

I want to be offended by that comment. I really, really do. But I... I just can't.

I live without fear of gun violence in Loveland, Colorado. It's a relatively small town. But for millions of Americans, you are absolutely correct.

And make no mistake, the bravado you read from gun-lovers on Neowin like DocM and others, at its core is really only a mask hiding the fear they have to live with every day of their lives. To be fair, America still has lots of perfectly safe communities. Yes, communities where people still leave their doors unlocked. But some of our big cities, like Detroit, are nothing more than cesspools of violence and misery.

Anyway, good post.

Oh? do tell what guns are made for.. other than killing?

You can club someone over the head with a gun without killing them. Guns are also used in Olympic events to signal the beginning of a race. I use a soldering gun for soldering things on a circuit board. Teachers use glue guns to apply hot glue to a surface.

You can club someone over the head with a gun without killing them. Guns are also used in Olympic events to signal the beginning of a race. I use a soldering gun for soldering things on a circuit board. Teachers use glue guns to apply hot glue to a surface.

Don't forget caulk guns, nail guns, staple guns, fastener guns......

Don't forget caulk guns, nail guns, staple guns, fastener guns......

And grease guns, Nintendo Zapper light gun, barcode scanner gun... never seen any of these guns kill someone before.

I want to be offended by that comment. I really, really do. But I... I just can't.

I live without fear of gun violence in Loveland, Colorado. It's a relatively small town. But for millions of Americans, you are absolutely correct.

And make no mistake, the bravado you read from gun-lovers on Neowin like DocM and others, at its core is really only a mask hiding the fear they have to live with every day of their lives. To be fair, America still has lots of perfectly safe communities. Yes, communities where people still leave their doors unlocked. But some of our big cities, like Detroit, are nothing more than cesspools of violence and misery.

Anyway, good post.

To be fair, it was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Obviously, it only applies to certain areas of the US.

I am sympathetic towards those who genuinely live in fear.

I don't have a fear of the world, just because I don't trust people I don't know doesn't mean I'm afraid of them. Sounds like you like to take everything to the extreme to me, that's probably a psychological issue.

And how did I validate that? So because I would rather trust myself than someone else I have a "hero" complex? It's called being a man and taking responsibility for you and yours.

You don't have a fear of the world, but require a gun on you at all times.  You know...just in case.  Just in case something arises where you might need to protect yourself.  You know...from scary things.  But NO FEAR!  Millions upon millions of people walk around this giant planet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year who do not require a gun.  Your argument is invalid.  Sure there are scary things in this world and some things might require you to protect yourself, but most of those things don't require you carry a gun.  You're either scared (to the extreme because that would be the only logical reason to carry a gun) or you go on about your daily business waiting for something exciting to happen (aka. you can use your gun in some heroic moment that everyone for all time will remember) or worse, you're a psychopath who's planning to go on a rampage en masse.

Cars are not equal to guns in any way shape or form.  I would say "cars" are the single most ridiculous comparison that could possibly be used in conjunction with guns, but Doc took the top place earlier when he compared gun rights to gay rights.  Cars are designed for transportation.  Guns (as in actual guns, not caulking guns or glue guns) are designed specifically to end the existence of living breathing people or animals.  That is what they were created for.

Those yes, but there have been a few where they were legitimate demonstrations.

In a small city north of Detroit a guy parked and was walking a weapon to a gun store for some work. A young female cop arrested him for brandishing. Huh?

Problem: Michigan has no brandishing law, which is the core of our Open Carry law. Cop school 101 - don't arrest folks for doing something LEGAL.

Everyone in the state knew it was a bogus charge but the locals insisted on pushing it, even though state law had dominance. A few folks in city govt. getting attention.

That brought out the demonstrators, and IMO rightly so. There's usually no need because it's flipping legal.

Gets in front of a judge, he tosses the charge in the first minute, and reprimanded all city officials concerned. The guy sued, won and collected from the city.

If gays and everyone else from here to High Heaven can protest some violation of their rights in a brash, but still legal, manner then so can gun owners. What's good for the goose etc.

pb-120612-gun-protest-jm-0.photoblog900.

When I would see this I would be seriously gripping for mine at once. This is stupid, what are you trying to prove? That you got the right? Meh, you can buy guns as easily as we can buy bubblegum, now, when youd have to go trough the s^^^^ I had to go trough to even get a permit to buy one half of you nuts would lose your guns in the same instant.

While we also have the right to buy ARs I would never buy it, dont need it since I have mine for self defence not for scaring the crap out of everybody on the street. Oh well, youd get jail time for this over here anyway...

Guns are primarily marketed and sold as second-order simulacra.

By exploiting this, gun manufacturers make money.

The opposing side to gun control and gun bans is largely corporate entities that do not represent moral interest but a capitalist one.

Now stores such as Target profit from customers, and it is in their capitalist interest not to scare away potential customers.

Thus a person who will annoy people, frighten people, preach the gospel, scream obscenities, hold on to his gun, etc. is unwelcome

as such a person will alienate customers.

Edited by _Alexander

No need to ban guns, but the should be just as heavily regulated as cars are.

Theoretical and practical exam before you can buy a gun

Insurance

All gun sales recorded

actually anyone can buy a car. not everyone can buy a gun legally. There are just as many alcohol related deaths as there are gun deaths. Does that mean there should be no more alcohol.

I carry(concealed) a gun cause it is legal in my state to do so. i don't do it out of fear. i do it because i can. if you don't like it so be it!!!!!. In my state you can open carry. Utah is not a state that is known for alot of violence. And if more people law abidding citizens were able to open carry there would be a reduction in crime.especially in places like Chicago and Detroit.

Just beacause you don't feel the need to carry a gun  it doesn't give you the right to berate or bellite the ones that do. I don't berate you because you might wear skinny jeans or wear pants with a belt that hangs halfway on or below your ass. well maybe i do """Pull your freakin pants up"

As far as Target goes or any other retailer...its their right to ban guns in their stores and that is that. Just like its a persons right to carry a gun and not shop at thos establishments. I won't be one that does choose not to shop at said establishment.

Just carry concealed.  These guys that are intentionally drawing attention to themselves by walking into public places with rifles at the ready are hurting the cause more than they are helping it.  I'm about as pro-gun as they come, but when I went to a pro-gun rally at the state capitol in 2012, and saw people walking around not only with their rifles, but with magazines locked in place in those rifles, it made me do a double take and wonder whether we were all going to get maced or something.  I had my pistol on me, openly displayed, but even when I was in Iraq, if we were on the FOB we kept one magazine in a pouch on the buttstock, not locked in the magazine well, so seeing people walking around with magazines locked in place on the steps of the state capitol was a bit odd to me.  If it's odd to me, then what do non-gun people think when they see it?  Now I'll admit, around here I have a magazine locked in place just about everywhere I go, but we're a rural town where just about everybody is armed, and it helps keep dust out of the action on my rifle, but when I go into Wal-Mart, I don't sling my rifle first, I carry a handgun hidden under my shirt so I don't draw unwanted attention.

I dono, maybe I'm an oddball in the pro-gun community, but it seems like these groups are intentionally trying to make a spectacle out of themselves, and I'm not convinced they're going about it the right way.

As a CC holder who conceal carries a 1911 routinely and has a nephew that came a foot away from being hit by a bullet in the Clackamas, Portland Oregon shooting by an AR-15, my first instinct if I saw an individual walk into a a store with one would be to have my hand on my gun believing that their was a high likelihood of me having to draw that weapon. I've said it before and I will say it again, I carry a firearm BECAUSE so many others carry a firearm, if I lived somewhere that did not have these kinds of firearm rates, I would not feel the need to carry.

Just carry concealed.  These guys that are intentionally drawing attention to themselves by walking into public places with rifles at the ready are hurting the cause more than they are helping it.  I'm about as pro-gun as they come, but when I went to a pro-gun rally at the state capitol in 2012, and saw people walking around not only with their rifles, but with magazines locked in place in those rifles, it made me do a double take and wonder whether we were all going to get maced or something.  I had my pistol on me, openly displayed, but even when I was in Iraq, if we were on the FOB we kept one magazine in a pouch on the buttstock, not locked in the magazine well, so seeing people walking around with magazines locked in place on the steps of the state capitol was a bit odd to me.  If it's odd to me, then what do non-gun people think when they see it?  Now I'll admit, around here I have a magazine locked in place just about everywhere I go, but we're a rural town where just about everybody is armed, and it helps keep dust out of the action on my rifle, but when I go into Wal-Mart, I don't sling my rifle first, I carry a handgun hidden under my shirt so I don't draw unwanted attention.

I dono, maybe I'm an oddball in the pro-gun community, but it seems like these groups are intentionally trying to make a spectacle out of themselves, and I'm not convinced they're going about it the right way.

I have a friend who is extremely pro gun and carries everywhere he goes. He even is one of those guys who think the government is after him and his guns and has survival equipment all over his place in case he thinks he needs to go on the run and even he has said how stupid these open carry guys are. Your not alone.

• Like 2