Xbox One Preview Program

firebelly I have been checking daily but no message has come through. I guess I will continue sitting on the side lines.

it took one complete cycle before I got mine, meaning you mat be able to get in on the october update

I do have the option to opt out, but now it does not even matter. My wife worked from home today so she was home when I get home which she usually is not, and first thing I turned on the One to make sure I had the latest update that fixed the cracking audio (which I do) so I started going behind my TV but my wife politely asked me not to hook the cable box up to the One again.

When I asked why, her exact words "you might not mind yelling at the air 12 times XBox On, but I do."  :rofl:

And yes, it is properly calibrated, but she is right, the voice commands either work perfectly or do not work at all, there is no inbetween.

Real curious to see how much my One gets used now. It was used everyday since I also used it for TV, but now? Hard to say. Only games I am playing currently are Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 thanks to the EA All Access program.

Take those games out of the equation and the next game I plan on playing on my One is Forza Horizon 2.

Once they support DLNA playback though, it will get heavy use.

So yeah, honestly no reason to opt out of the program right now since it always negatively affected Watch TV.

I do have the option to opt out, but now it does not even matter. My wife worked from home today so she was home when I get home which she usually is not, and first thing I turned on the One to make sure I had the latest update that fixed the cracking audio (which I do) so I started going behind my TV but my wife politely asked me not to hook the cable box up to the One again.

When I asked why, her exact words "you might not mind yelling at the air 12 times XBox On, but I do."  :rofl:

And yes, it is properly calibrated, but she is right, the voice commands either work perfectly or do not work at all, there is no inbetween.

Real curious to see how much my One gets used now. It was used everyday since I also used it for TV, but now? Hard to say. Only games I am playing currently are Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 thanks to the EA All Access program.

Take those games out of the equation and the next game I plan on playing on my One is Forza Horizon 2.

Once they support DLNA playback though, it will get heavy use.

So yeah, honestly no reason to opt out of the program right now since it always negatively affected Watch TV.

Same experience here, with the voice commands.

I suppose your wife could use the controller? Or maybe get the remote? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-One-Media-Remote/dp/B00I41H7K8/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I'm still looking forward to the Harmony integration. Hope that's still happening.

You could always use smartglass, a harmony remote, or the controller instead of voice. I would recommend a harmony remote though. Its been working fine for me.

Sorry to hear that you can't use the Xbox On command, I would hate to be in that situation. So far, it has worked for me. I still think you guys with problems should seek out a replacement or something. Its weird that its not a universal issue. Software problems should be universal.

Plus, if TV was your main reason for having an X1, well that calls into question the need to keep it at all.

Finally got accepted in and update downloading now!  Just sad that steaming cable to smart glass is only for Europe right now.  :(

The harmony remote already works with the X1. I use it all the time just fine.

That's good to know.

Since I moved home, I haven't fully setup my surround sound as one of the speakers is busted, or my harmony 895 (got a new TV)

I'm not sure what MS meant when they said Harmony support, but I envisioned being able to use voice commands to switch inputs, turn off my lights etc.

Wondered how to get involved with this. I was part of the 360 effort but not this.

'Hardy Rexion UK' is my GT if anyone is kind enough to invite. :D

That's good to know.

Since I moved home, I haven't fully setup my surround sound as one of the speakers is busted, or my harmony 895 (got a new TV)

I'm not sure what MS meant when they said Harmony support, but I envisioned being able to use voice commands to switch inputs, turn off my lights etc.

Well that would require a new harmony device to support something like that. It would require MS leveraging the IR blasting capabilities of Kinect to send a signal to a Harmony remote, which would then send a single to whatever device you wanted to control. It would be simpler to just build in control support for a bunch of devices and not even use a harmony remote. So it could be done, but its not a quick thing to implement.

Well that would require a new harmony device to support something like that. It would require MS leveraging the IR blasting capabilities of Kinect to send a signal to a Harmony remote, which would then send a single to whatever device you wanted to control. It would be simpler to just build in control support for a bunch of devices and not even use a harmony remote. So it could be done, but its not a quick thing to implement.

I suppose I didn't really think that through, with regards to the Harmony needing an IR receiver to accept commands from the kinect.

As you will know, it's the setup software that gives the Harmony remotes so much functionality.

So one voice command (like "watch a film") to dim the lights, close the blind, turn on the TV and Amp, switch to the right input. That's what I'm looking forward to.

It's a universal IR remote, so it supports the Xbox, not the other way around. Just like any other decent universal remote would.

Whatever they meant by Harmony support, isn't here yet.

You could always use smartglass, a harmony remote, or the controller instead of voice. I would recommend a harmony remote though. Its been working fine for me.

Sorry to hear that you can't use the Xbox On command, I would hate to be in that situation. So far, it has worked for me. I still think you guys with problems should seek out a replacement or something. Its weird that its not a universal issue. Software problems should be universal.

Plus, if TV was your main reason for having an X1, well that calls into question the need to keep it at all.

Again, it is not just me using it. I am not going to leave instructions for my not very computer savvy mom on how to fire up the Smartglass App on my Android tablet that is password protected? And as noted below I do have the remote.

And really it is much more than a software issue. Or does everyone have the exact same setup for their living room or TV room or bedroom? What type of room it is in would also affect the performance, as it relies on your voice. Voice carries differently depending on the acoustics of the room it is in. It is not just a software issue. It is where it is setup. What other hardware it is set up to (for example not everyone had the cracking audio issue right?). So yeah it has nothing to do with getting a replacement and everything to do with the fact it just does not work the same for everyone.

Also when did I say Watch TV was my main reason for having an X1? What I said was it is the only reason I am currently using my X1 on a daily basis. Big distinction and difference. The main reason I got an X1 is to play games. There is just not much to play right now.

The reason I even hooked up Watch TV to begin with was to get an extra HDMI port on my audio receiver. Now that I have a receiver that takes 8 inputs instead of 5, that is no longer an issue. So really it is no big loss. 

Same experience here, with the voice commands.

I suppose your wife could use the controller? Or maybe get the remote? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-One-Media-Remote/dp/B00I41H7K8/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I'm still looking forward to the Harmony integration. Hope that's still happening.

Already have the XBox One Media Remote.

Truth is for non gamers, like my wife and mother, it is more steps than they are willing to learn really.

To be honest I am sure they could get used to it, especially with the newly added go straight to TV, but then there is still the issue of each Preview seems to break another functionality. So I am not going to go out of my way or force them to learn something that has proven to be a less than stable experience. Maybe a half a year from now I will revisit it. But for now, there is really no need.

The Xbox On command hardly ever works for me (or my wife).  The other commands do work really well, however.  I have her turn on the Xbox with the media remote, change the channels with voice, and change the volume with the media remote.  She seems content with it.  Also, she hates change so she absolutely HATED me changing the way she watched TV but now she's OK with it.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll check that when I get home

If you are talking about preview invite, then you will get a message about it..

otherwise you get the notification about friend requests.. 

I am posting this to clear this up...

Already have the XBox One Media Remote.

Truth is for non gamers, like my wife and mother, it is more steps than they are willing to learn really.

Well, when 'Boot to TV' comes along, it's probably going to be easier to use the TV than it was before. One button to switch the lot on.

If you are talking about preview invite, then you will get a message about it..

otherwise you get the notification about friend requests..

I am posting this to clear this up...

Ok thank you. I'm still getting used to how it's setup.