Microsoft prepping Lumia branded Android phone

nokia-lumia.jpeg

When Nokia announced the Android powered Nokia X we weren?t quite sure what to think about it. We?ve long dreamed of the ultra-powerful, ultra-beautiful combination of Android and Nokia but the X simply didn?t deliver. It?s a low spec?d device running a custom version of Android in a cheap body. What we really want is an Android-powered Lumia device. And Microsoft might finally be ready to give it to us.

According to a new rumor out of the one and only evleaks, Microsoft is working on a Nokia Lumia-branded Android device. No other details surrounding the mystery device have been revealed, but there?s really only a couple ways this could turn out. Scenario number one: Microsoft?s Android-powered Lumia could be a beefed up Nokia X. It would run a custom, forked version of Android but come with things like a much better display and high-end camera. Scenario number two: Microsoft?s Android-powered Lumia is a Google-certified device complete with Google Play access and all. Chances are it would still be customized and include a bunch of Microsoft-centric apps, but Google Play access would completely change the appeal of the device.

Of course, with this being an unconfirmed rumor, there is a third scenario where Microsoft doesn?t release anything Android powered at all. Either way, we?ll be keeping a close eye out for more details on this rumor.

http://androidandme.com/2014/07/news/rumor-microsoft-prepping-lumia-branded-android-phone/

I'm actually excited about this.. I would love me some beautiful Lumia running latest Android.

Must admit, MS could have a hugely successful device on their hands if they created a top quality Umia with Android on it.

They would amongst the Android community. However I just don't see them doing this, why would they allocate the resources to build something that would directly compete with their own platform. Microsoft is already doing a heck of a lot with WP 8.1 and now the possibility of merging with RT. Remember the Cortana rumor a few weeks ago that was shot down, I see this being the same. 

People want the hardware, that I get, but with that hardware comes the OS. Similar to the iPhone, you can't run Android on that. 

Must admit, MS could have a hugely successful device on their hands if they created a top quality Umia with Android on it.

With MS's track record for releasing devices, if I wanted an Android I'd just get a Nexus and avoid the hassel of dealing with carriers or importing.

They would amongst the Android community. However I just don't see them doing this, why would they allocate the resources to build something that would directly compete with their own platform.

Because their platform is dying? Hardware doesn't mean squat when you are running an OS that nobody uses.

Microsoft doesn't lose anything really.. Nokia will make A LOT of money going Android instead of pushing Windows Phone.. they can still offer Windows Phone btw..

Microsoft makes money from that as well and offers their productivity suites on Android and iOS anyways..  They have lost the mobile battle. Right now is just making good choices so they don't completely waste their acquisition of Nokia and create compelling enterprise software for Android and iOS.

Microsoft's goal was to create a mobile platform, have people tie into Office and their software by using Microsoft based hardware and that plan failed really. Nobody really wants a WIndows Phone and Android and iOS are clear winners. 

Microsoft makes money from patent royalties with Android, plus they can push their suites onto both platforms.

I fully expect them to shut down Windows Phone in the future and probably sticking with Surface/Desktops approach. Nokia will shift to Android and they will be premier device maker with amazing integration with Microsoft cloud instead of Google. 

It completely makes sense. They lost the mobile battle. I think they are just coming to grips with it and going with strategy they should have done 5 years ago.

why would they allocate the resources to build something that would directly compete with their own platform. 

Because a lot of people have a preference on their device's OS... Apple could give me a free iPhone and a few hundred bucks extra and I personally still wouldn't want to use it.  There is no such thing as a product that satisfies 100% of the market, so it would be stupid to ignore it.  Android's going to sell with or without them, may as well cash in on it.

Because their platform is dying? Hardware doesn't mean squat when you are running an OS that nobody uses.

Got any statistics to back that up? I was pretty sure Windows Phone was actually gaining traction, but I could be wrong.

Got any statistics to back that up? I was pretty sure Windows Phone was actually gaining traction, but I could be wrong.

They are stalled.. 3% market share. They are slightly better than Blackberry.. if you think Blackberry is doing well then Microsoft is flourishing. And this is in US btw where they are strongest.. world marketshare is minuscule to non-existent.

In essence nobody really uses it. 

image-kod41CwLkg.png

Worldwide marketshare

IDCOEM0714.png

They actually dropped 0.5 point.

Eh, nice to have more choice, but you have companies like HTC that have had Android devices since 2009+ and is struggling at the moment. If these rumors are true, not sure how much traction Microsoft would gain. Their implementation of Android on the Nokia X was just absolute garbage. They better make an attempt if true...

Eh, nice to have more choice, but you have companies like HTC that have had Android devices since 2009+ and is struggling at the moment. If these rumors are true, not sure how much traction Microsoft would gain. Their implementation of Android on the Nokia X was just absolute garbage. 

I wouldn't call HTC struggling.. they are doing well.. they are making profit.  Android is great.. it's about making a great hardware..and with HTC One series they turned it around and made a great phone and voila.. they are making profit.

Nokia should have done this way before Microsoft fiasco and would have outsold Samsung and would have been number one in mobile market.. especially since they had such strong brand in Europe and around the world. 

But they made a huge mistake, went with Microsoft and lost pretty much everything.. But it's still not too late for them I guess.. they'll use Microsoft cloud and services now and produce their hardware. They can still come back.

I have mixed feelings about this. If it is successful, that's great, but at what cost? MS put a lot of effort into Windows Phone and if this does better than their WP devices then you can expect to see them abandon their own mobile OS efforts.

On the other hand, if they are able to create an Android phone that runs devoid of any Google services including the Play Store or whatever, but still runs any app I want, I might check it out.

They are stalled.. 3% market share. They are slightly better than Blackberry.. if you think Blackberry is doing well then Microsoft is flourishing. And this is in US btw where they are strongest.. world marketshare is minuscule to non-existent.

IDCOEM0714.png

They actually dropped 0.5 point.

You forgot this little blurb below that graph:

Windows Phone grew 8.7% year-over-year with 7.6 million shipments, almost entirely driven by Nokia. Despite the growth, Windows Phone still only has 2.7% smartphone market share. By dropping its licensing fees the platform becomes much more appealing, in addition to the features that come along with 8.1. Now that the Nokia acquisition is complete all eyes will be on execution and what comes next.

Also, WP is stronger in Europe and Asia than it is in the US, still dismal, but definitely stronger.

Lately I've been second guessing sticking with Windows Phones. Love the OS, but whenever my friends start using some app and want me to join in I can't. It's not an issue most of the time because I'm not app crazy, but there are a few here and there that would be nice. And then pretty much any integration with any device is delayed/nonexistent. It's a damn shame really. If they put out an Android Lumia I might make the jump. Then again if it keeps growing like it currently is, that'll probably be compelling enough to just get a nicer Lumia WP :p

So many things wrong with your posts.

1. Windows Phone is far more popular in Europe in Asia than the US. So no the US is not the strongest market.

2. 3% marketshare doesn't mean they haven't sold any more devices. Someone needs to learn what percentages mean and how IDC calculates things. Is WP growing as fast as Android is? Nope. Does that mean nobody is buying it? Nope.

3. So because they haven't grown as fast as you think they should, they should completely exit the market and give up. Right, it's a good thing you don't run a company then. If MS gave up right now it would essentially mean they are giving up on what is most likely going to be the biggest market in a few years time. And considering they're working on combining everything under a one Windows banner, they're not going to suddenly drop out and start using Android. They would be delusional to do that. According to your logic the only company who should be making a smartphone OS is Google, and what an amazingly ###### idea that is.

• Like 2

You forgot this little blurb below that graph:

Windows Phone grew 8.7% year-over-year with 7.6 million shipments, almost entirely driven by Nokia. Despite the growth, Windows Phone still only has 2.7% smartphone market share. By dropping its licensing fees the platform becomes much more appealing, in addition to the features that come along with 8.1. Now that the Nokia acquisition is complete all eyes will be on execution and what comes next.

Also, WP is stronger in Europe and Asia than it is in the US, still dismal, but definitely stronger.

You can wrap it up in whatever might sound positive.. but reality is that it's a dead platform. The marketshare is minuscule, nobody uses it and Microsoft should be growing 50-100% every quarter to even have a chance to compete with anything Android / iOS...and even then it would take them years to be a relevant platform.

Year over Year at 8.7% is terrible for a platform that tries to get up on top.

Microsoft would be smart to kill Windows Phone, concentrate on iOS and Android software, have Nokia push Android phones and integrate their cloud services to replace Google's while still running existing apps. If they do that it's going to be good for their bottom line, they'll make their cloud offering stronger and Nokia will help them in that and they will compete with Google and Apple with enterprise offering on mobile.

As I said, my gut tells me they will kill Windows Phone sooner than later. 

The mobile war is over, Android won and will be the Windows of the future, iOS will be Apple's similar competitive advantage they had on desktop market and that's really it. Microsoft living in delusion they can compete is not only bad business but a huge waste of money where in the process they will kill a great company like Nokia.

I wouldn't call HTC struggling.. they are doing well.. they are making profit.  Android is great.. it's about making a great hardware..and with HTC One series they turned it around and made a great phone and voila.. they are making profit.

Nokia should have done this way before Microsoft fiasco and would have outsold Samsung and would have been number one in mobile market.. especially since they had such strong brand in Europe and around the world. 

But they made a huge mistake, went with Microsoft and lost pretty much everything.. But it's still not too late for them I guess.. they'll use Microsoft cloud and services now and produce their hardware. They can still come back.

They just started making a profit after the One M8. It is a great phone. 

You are also underestimating WP market share in the world. It is much higher than you think it is. Here in the US, the dominant mobile OS's are Android and iOS. I want to see Windows Phone succeed, but Microsoft and developers are not making it compelling. I don't think Windows Phone is going anywhere, it's here to stay. Microsoft has more than enough resources to keep it in the game. Now if Nokia went with Android and didn't get bought out by Microsoft, then yes, WP would have even less market share and would have nothing going for it.

You are also underestimating WP market share in the world. It is much higher than you think it is. Here in the US, the dominant mobile OS's are Android and iOS. I want to see Windows Phone succeed, but Microsoft and developers are not making it compelling. I don't think Windows Phone is going anywhere, it's here to stay. Microsoft has more than enough resources to keep it in the game. 

I don't think really though.. it's not my opinion.. stats back it up.. it's at 2.7% worldwide (down from 3.2%) after years of being on the market.. it's pathetic.  Windows Phone is a dead OS and if Nokia rumor is true Microsoft realizes that as well.

They just started making a profit after the One M8. It is a great phone. 

Actually they made a killing initially.. then they stalled and lost a lot of money, now they are making money again. That's business really.

Oh good so then according to your logic nobody should compete in the world then.

1. Why even have Mac OS X or Linux? Clearly Windows won a long time ago so it's time to pack up shop and call it a day.

2. Why even have ATI? Clearly Nvidia won a long time ago, so same thing. Time to close up and let Nvidia control everything.

3. How about AMD? Well Intel has been smacking their ass sideways for a decade now, so bye bye AMD.

4. How about Google Apps? Well Office Online / 365 has been raping it so scrap that as well.

5. All those facebook clones like Google Hangouts? Yup get rid of them too.

6. Why even have more than one Android ODM? Samsung has been utterly destroying them, so time to pack up shop and let Samsung be the only ODM for Android.

And so on. Yup it's a good thing nobody listens to you.

Oh good so then according to your logic nobody should compete in the world then.

1. Why even have Mac OS X or Linux? Clearly Windows won a long time ago so it's time to pack up shop and call it a day.

2. Why even have ATI? Clearly Nvidia won a long time ago, so same thing. Time to close up and let Nvidia control everything.

3. How about AMD? Well Intel has been smacking their ass sideways for a decade now, so bye bye AMD.

4. How about Google Apps? Well Office Online / 365 has been raping it so scrap that as well.

5. All those facebook clones like Google Hangouts? Yup get rid of them too.

And so on.

Yup, lets shut down the internet and become friendly to our neighbours once more

DEATH TO THE INTERNET!!!

Where do I sign up??

(wasn't being serious)

You can wrap it up in whatever might sound positive.. but reality is that it's a dead platform. The marketshare is minuscule, nobody uses it and Microsoft should be growing 50-100% every quarter to even have a chance to compete with anything Android / iOS...and even then it would take them years to be a relevant platform.

Year over Year at 8.7% is terrible for a platform that tries to get up on top.

Microsoft would be smart to kill Windows Phone, concentrate on iOS and Android software, have Nokia push Android phones and integrate their cloud services to replace Google's while still running existing apps. If they do that it's going to be good for their bottom line, they'll make their cloud offering stronger and Nokia will help them in that and they will compete with Google and Apple with enterprise offering on mobile.

The mobile war is over, Android won and will be the Windows of the future, iOS will be Apple's similar competitive advantage they had on desktop market and that's really it. Microsoft living in delusion they can compete is not only bad business but a huge waste of money where in the process they will kill a great company like Nokia.

iOS didn't have a year over year gain, are they a dead platform too? The fact is, plenty of people use Windows Phones. I've tried Android, I had an HTC Aspire 4G, which I returned after a few days of use because I found it to be inferior to my iPhone 3GS at the time. I have since owned an iPhone 4S and now a Lumia 1520 and the Lumia is my favorite by far and it's because of the OS.

And so on. Yup it's a good thing nobody listens to you.

Actually people do listen to me.. that's what I do.. I advise tech companies on what technologies to use and help them with campaigns and roadmaps as I'm involved with venture capital and we invest in tech companies. 

But it's good that you are expert.

You need to detach yourself from emotional bias and look at facts as they are.

You need to detach yourself from emotional bias and look at facts as they are.

This coming from the guy who doesn't understand how important Windows Phone (and well any Smartphone OS really) is to a technology company, like MS, when it comes to their roadmap for the future.

Also coming from the guy who doesn't understand why competition is a good thing and if Microsoft and Apple left, Android would become a steaming pile of ###### just like IE6 once was.

So much for advising people on roadmaps eh?

iOS didn't have a year over year gain, are they a dead platform too? The fact is, plenty of people use Windows Phones. I've tried Android, I had an HTC Aspire 4G, which I returned after a few days of use because I found it to be inferior to my iPhone 3GS at the time. I have since owned an iPhone 4S and now a Lumia 1520 and the Lumia is my favorite by far and it's because of the OS.

No, iOS has almost 50% marketshare in the US and are very popular.. they are around 17% worldwide.. no they are not a dead platform.. far from it.. a platform that barely has 3% of the market in the US and 2.7% worldwide (if you do the math you will see that majority of their marketshare comes from US actually) and their growth is miniscule.. means that nobody really uses it.. their global marketshare dropped 0.5  which makes it even worse, and means people are abandoning it (and going for Android actually).. so yeah, they ARE a dead platform or at least on the way out. 

Plus, being among developers, being a developer myself and dealing with startups and tech companies.. NOBODY even plans on Windows Phone versions of their apps and services.. and those who do make it the last thing (if they ever get to it) and this is despite Microsoft offering money to developers to make apps.