Free 360 Total Security, not bad at all.

opera has given me flash update warning when I start the browser, did it on 3 different computers recently so :)

But for the average user, if it doesn't do it for you automatically it never gets done. Which is why Microsoft added it to Windows update on Windows 8.

Only time i've seen Adobe prompt you to update flash is when Windows boots up. Most users don't restart that often and just sleep. Add to the fact if the Adobe updater did appear after getting so much adware in the past they are scared to click on anything and usually just cancel it.

I see it on boot up.. I usually get the updated file from the web then remove the old one and install new version in. I don't have Flash on Windows 8 system and keep that way.

But again, the AV will block the attack vector anyway and chrome updates whenever you start it if there's an update available. 

and in my experience, average users are the ones who restart the ones, they're the ones who actually turn off their computers, mine restart when it crashes or there's some stupid update that the programmers decided to force an unecessary restart 

Installed it on a system where I only run Windows Defender. Didn't find squat.  Wouldn't tell me what startup programs it wanted to disable or what files I was supposed to be deleting to save space.

Uninstalled, I'll stick to defender and save the cpu cycles.

Installed it on a system where I only run Windows Defender. Didn't find squat.  Wouldn't tell me what startup programs it wanted to disable or what files I was supposed to be deleting to save space.

Uninstalled, I'll stick to defender and save the cpu cycles.

That's why I say, use the program skip the speedup and use the AV

360 Total Security recommends disable the updater of Google and Adobe, this can help user to manage and optimize your system services, boot up items and plugins - Shorten your boot time and get going sooner. This behavior won't affect the use of Google and Adobe software.

In one word, please do what you want according your own idea.

And that worries me and makes me wonder why would you want to use their software.

The Chinese government has used flash and Google vulnerabilities in the past and now you have a piece of software from a Chinese company that disables both those updaters? The whole thing about reducing boot times is a load of ######.

Both those files are tiny and their impact to performance is completely negligible to anyone who is using a computer that was made after 2000. Its absolutely absurd that they (a security company) would recommend you make your computer vulnerable by using outdated software just to save 0.000000001 second on boot.

Hence why I wouldn't recommend anyone install this ######. If that's what they recommend you do who knows what other things their software does or will do.

The Chinese government

Curious a bit, may I ask what you think the Chinese government wants from you? What information do you hold that they would want? 

Curious a bit, may I ask what you think the Chinese government wants from you? What information do you hold that they would want?

It doesn't have to be just the Chinese government. Just that in the past that has been their common vector for attacks.

By disabling Google and Adobe updaters you're essentially keeping your system at risk from really anyone since they're a popular choice for malware writers. Now you and I can probably realize that and disable it, but the average user who downloads this probably won't and think its a good idea because it'll speed up their computer..yeah right.

And the whole logic of "who cares if they get my information" is as stupid as stupid can get.

And the whole logic of "who cares if they get my information" is as stupid as stupid can get.

I was asking a specific question about a specific circumstance. You said the Chinese goverment may want in your computer. What do you think you have that they would be after?

Maybe they don't want your info. Maybe they just want another computer at their disposal for coordinated attacks on a target if they so choose.

I was asking a specific question about a specific circumstance. You said the Chinese goverment may want in your computer. What do you think you have that they would be after?

No I didn't say that at all. I said its a bit suspicious that the Chinese government loves to exploit flash vulnerabilities and here we have a piece of software, from what used to be a relatively unknown company, that tells you to leave flash and chrome outdated.

Keeping software upto date is like one of the most important things of computer security and you don't find it suspicious at all that a computer security company would recommend disabling an updater?

Keeping software up to date is like one of the most important things of computer security and you don't find it suspicious at all that a computer security company would recommend disabling an updater?

Although important, it is THEE most drastically overrated things you can do for security. Let me ask you another question then if you feel this way. Do you have an example of where you got a security breach by NOT updating? I would like to do this , I will install the oldest version of flash and the oldest version of chrome and then can you even point me to a example of a site that will do what you say? 

Although important, it is THEE most drastically overrated things you can do for security. Let me ask you another question then if you feel this way. Do you have an example of where you got a security breach by NOT updating? I would like to do this , I will install the oldest version of flash and the oldest version of chrome and then can you even point me to a example of a site that will do what you say? 

Less than five weeks into the new year, 2015 is already shaping up as one of the most perilous years for users of Adobe Flash, with active exploits against three separate zero-day vulnerabilities, one of which still wasn't fully patched as this post went live.

The latest attacks are hitting unsuspecting targets through drive-by downloads served through ads on dailymotion.com, theblaze.com, nydailynews.com, tagged.com, webmail.earthlink.net, and other sites, according to research from Malwarebytes. And while the vulnerability wasn't disclosed until this week, the exploits have been active and in the wild since December 3, Malwarebytes found.

Further Reading

The tooth gnashing you hear is from Flash users installing a new 0day patch

Remote code-execution bug under active attack, Adobe warns. Install now.

While the attacks target Windows users running Flash in a Firefox or Internet Explorer browser, the underlying CVE-2015-0313 security bug is present in Flash for Macs and Linux machines as well. On late Wednesday, Adobe began distributing a fix to users who have opted to receive automatic updates. In the meantime, readers should consider disabling Flash altogether, or at the very least, using Flash inside Google Chrome, the browser many security experts say provides the most comprehensive anti-exploit protections. Attacks exploiting CVE-2015-0313 are unable to escape the Chrome security sandbox, research from Trend Micro found.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/as-flash-0day-exploits-reach-new-level-of-meanness-what-are-users-to-do/

Less than five weeks into the new year, 2015 is already shaping up as one of the most perilous years for users of Adobe Flash, with active exploits against three separate zero-day vulnerabilities, one of which still wasn't fully patched as this post went live.

The latest attacks are hitting unsuspecting targets through drive-by downloads served through ads on dailymotion.com, theblaze.com, nydailynews.com, tagged.com, webmail.earthlink.net, and other sites, according to research from Malwarebytes. And while the vulnerability wasn't disclosed until this week, the exploits have been active and in the wild since December 3, Malwarebytes found.

Further Reading

The tooth gnashing you hear is from Flash users installing a new 0day patch

Remote code-execution bug under active attack, Adobe warns. Install now.

While the attacks target Windows users running Flash in a Firefox or Internet Explorer browser, the underlying CVE-2015-0313 security bug is present in Flash for Macs and Linux machines as well. On late Wednesday, Adobe began distributing a fix to users who have opted to receive automatic updates. In the meantime, readers should consider disabling Flash altogether, or at the very least, using Flash inside Google Chrome, the browser many security experts say provides the most comprehensive anti-exploit protections. Attacks exploiting CVE-2015-0313 are unable to escape the Chrome security sandbox, research from Trend Micro found.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/as-flash-0day-exploits-reach-new-level-of-meanness-what-are-users-to-do/

From what I have seen, for exploits to actually work, you need perfect conditions. Imagine a prison break. First the convict has to get out if his cell, once out of his cell, he must then get around guards, once around the guards, he must navigate around the prison to find a way out of the building, once out of the building he has to find his way to a yard with outside access, once outside, he has to find a spot he can actually get though without being seen but a guard, surveillance system, and or other measures, once outside, he must then escape to safe distance to be truly escaped. computer infection is somewhat like that. Out of the billions of PC's out there, an extreme low percentage of them meet this exacting criteria to allow actual non-user interacted infection. No matter how much a computer is patched, the end user will still get infected if they click yes to everything they see. No amount of updating can ever fix that. This is why - TO ME - that 360 Security suggestion to disable certain updates is causing an extreme over-reaction.

hence why updating flash isn't what's important, an AV will protect you against those attack vectors long before it's patched, and after.

I'm not saying you will get anything.

But when its as simple as running an automatic updater that takes up virtually no resources and doesn't slow your computer down providing that its newer than 2000. Why the ###### wouldn't you update it and recommend people disable it? Its far simpler to update it than having to clean it after.

You would have something to argue about if the updater took up 1gig of ram and slowed your computer down. But it doesn't and hence you have no reason to turn it off.