Dreamweaver versus GoLive

Question

I've been a long time Dreamweaver user but was wondering if it's time to maybe give GoLive a look. Anyone here have/use GoLive, is it worth the money over the latest version of Dreamweaver? Thanks. :)

12 answers to this question

Hi,

I regularly use both. If I had to dump one of them, I would dump GoLive in an instant. Dreamweaver is just far more organised in layout and tools. But the real kicker is the memory use. Dreamweaver for me uses about 20MB of RAM, give or take. GoLive uses a staggering 80MB of RAM and that's before you've even asked it to do anything fancy. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Is it worth the money over Dreamweaver? No, not in my opinion. Yes, it's nice to have the Photoshop integration but it's not a decision-making selling point in my view. Stick with Dreamweaver would be my advice. Even the latest Frontpage is preferable to GoLive while it has that kind of resource demand.

I bought Dreamweaver 2004 and havent been disapointed. Its a great program, and MX 2004 seems to run so much better then the last version. Definatley worth it.

But Photoshop seems to kick Fireworks' ass though.

I like GoLive a lot more, I hate dreameavers crappy owner drawn controls, why cant they just use standard APIs or at least make controls that look and act normal?

GoLive is slow and sucks up ram, but it is a better app.

I bought Dreamweaver 2004 and havent been disapointed. Its a great program, and MX 2004 seems to run so much better then the last version. Definatley worth it.

But Photoshop seems to kick Fireworks' ass though.

Yeah that's another thing I'm really used to Photoshop and Illustrator and not Fireworks...it'd be nice just to use all one line of products (Adobe or Macromedia) to get the job done, due to all the integration that they offer. :(

I use Fireworks and Dreamweaver, and half the time I ignore the integrateion between the two. Personaly I would just as hapaly use Photoshop and Dreamweaver, sep Im use to Fireworks too much.