Subtitle problem


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys. I'm trying to edit some subtitles and I'm having trouble with the character encoding. The subtitle is in .srt format and it shows perfectly fine in Media Player Classic (Central European encoding). However, if I open the subtitle in Notepad or Subtitle Workshop (or any other subtitle editor that I've tried), all the diacritics are changed to weird characters. In Subtitle Workshop I've set the Central/Eastern European encoding, but no effect. 

 

So, how come the damn thing works fine in the video player and shows up weird in editors? :( And is there anything I can do to solve this? Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm trying to edit some subtitles and I'm having trouble with the character encoding. The subtitle is in .srt format and it shows perfectly fine in Media Player Classic (Central European encoding). However, if I open the subtitle in Notepad or Subtitle Workshop (or any other subtitle editor that I've tried), all the diacritics are changed to weird characters. In Subtitle Workshop I've set the Central/Eastern European encoding, but no effect. 

 

So, how come the damn thing works fine in the video player and shows up weird in editors? :( And is there anything I can do to solve this? Thank you.

 

Does any other encoding work? Does the font in Notepad support the diacritic marks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only every edited subtitles once, using SubtitleEdit 3.3.8

 

Bit of a long shot, seeing as how you have tried others already, but worth a try I suppose (if you haven't tried it already).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does any other encoding work? Does the font in Notepad support the diacritic marks?

In Notepad, if I change the encoding, there's no effect, except for weird characters instead of diacritics. For the European encoding I mean. If I change it to Arabian or whatever, it changes the text. It's a wonder that Media Player Classic shows the characters just fine, but ANY text/subtitle editor does not... :(

I've only every edited subtitles once, using SubtitleEdit 3.3.8

 

Bit of a long shot, seeing as how you have tried others already, but worth a try I suppose (if you haven't tried it already).

I did, it's the same...

 

EDIT: Here's the subtitle I am trying to edit (well, one of the many, since it's a whole season), maybe some of you can figure out what's wrong with it... http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/82877853/file.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.