do you use daily ccleaner ? is there a better alternative?

Question

hi

do you use ccleaner to clean windows8 or 7 temp and log files ?

do you use daily ?

is there a better alternative?

i started to use it some years ago

never tried other software

thanks

Daily no, not much reason in that unless you are running VERY low on system resources. No, I run it every sunday with my weekly maintenance routine, 

Ccleaner (to remove extra temp files so they wont be scanned by the next processes)

Malwarebytes Full Scan

Full AV Scan

Disk Defrag (if above 5% fragmentation)

System Reboot

Daily no, not much reason in that unless you are running VERY low on system resources. No, I run it every sunday with my weekly maintenance routine, 

Ccleaner (to remove extra temp files so they wont be scanned by the next processes)

Malwarebytes Full Scan

Full AV Scan

System Reboot

disk defrag , do you mean ssd optimation or hard disk  defrag?

thanks Geoffrey

I have yet to change my Main system over to an SSD not worth the cost yet. I run an actual Dfrag with Defraggler if needed.

Certainly not daily, maybe once every two week.

I tend to use Wise Disc Cleaner including the built in defrag if the system needs it, however CCleaner has a neat feature that allow me to see what's starting up during boot up, I can then disable it if it's not needed.

Also run Malwarebytes quick scan.

Normally have a quick look in Revo Uninstaller just in case something has slipped in I've not noticed.

Unless your hard disk has less than 10% of free space,  files themselves don't slow down a computer. It boils down to processes actively running on the system, consuming CPU cycles, Memory and Disk io's.

Sure a fragmented hard drive will slow a computer down too, but that really hasn't been an issue since the XP days.

I run CCleaner every once and a while only to gain back some free space.

It's true that 10,000 temporary internet files will make your virus / malware scans take longer and in that case , I do recommend running CCleaner to remove junk files before you scan to make those go faster.

• Like 3

I haven't used CCleaner in years; I found it always removed some 'unnecessary' registry keys that later messed other things on my system up.  Now, I just use the Windows built-in Disk Cleanup utility.  I have a SSD for my OS and apps, so no need for defragmentation on that end.  And I don't install / uninstall so many programs like I used to many years ago.

I haven't used CCleaner in years; I found it always removed some 'unnecessary' registry keys that later messed other things on my system up.  Now, I just use the Windows built-in Disk Cleanup utility.  I have a SSD for my OS and apps, so no need for defragmentation on that end.  And I don't install / uninstall so many programs like I used to many years ago.

To be fair there are 2 parts of ccleaner. The file cleaner and the reg cleaner. You don't have to use the reg cleaner.

The one thing I don't like is how it removes DMP files by default. I can't count the time when i'm working on a computer that had been bluescreening and I open ccleaner and run it then after it's half way done, i'm like ...oh ######!!!!!! Because by default it deletes ALL crash dumps. .. I Really wish they would make that off by default.

I only use the file cleaner portion of ccleaner, but definitely not daily. I don't want it to run daily. I run it maybe once a month? I used to run it more back when my only computer was a laptop, and storage was also limited. 

i dont see the need of a cleaning software on my os because its all well structured in the package manager, where i can remove or add things with a single click and dont have to worry about anything else.

sometimes i use ubuntu tweak to uninstall old kernels i dont use anymore, again with 1 click. could not be any better. :)

I never got the point, unless you're REALLY running low on space. Windows' own disk cleanup already takes care of a lot.

Temp files are there for a reason. Sometimes it's to speed up things so they don't have to be regenerated, sometimes it's to make sure an easy uninstall is possible, ... As long as you don't actively need the space it frees up, there's absolutely no reason to use CCleaner and the likes. It certainly won't speed your computer up and might even slow it down because you're basically forcing your computer to regenerate temp files and caches every time you clear it.

Try this:

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/diskmax/

If you want an unbiased review, check this one out by Download.com:

http://download.cnet.com/DiskMax/3000-18512_4-10912587.html

Full disclosure: I'm the author.

hi

i will try it

does the program call the trim feature when i does delete files?

hi

yes , ccleaner keeps time to start up

but the list of programs is really huge

I have yet to change my Main system over to an SSD not worth the cost yet. I run an actual Dfrag with Defraggler if needed.

Hold on.  Not worth the cost is subjective.  I've had SSDs for years now and yes, they are worth every single penny.  That is, if you value speed.

Hold on.  Not worth the cost is subjective.  I've had SSDs for years now and yes, they are worth every single penny.  That is, if you value speed.

Seconded, my current pc is now reaching senile....

Dual core Athlon running windows 7, and even though my motherboard doesn't actually support high speed data via ssd, replacing my os drive with an ssd drive almost halved my bootup  and loading times for various programs are comparably faster (I would like to say almost instant, but that would be an exaggeration.)

• Like 1

I use CCleaner (Am I the only one who calls it CC Cleaner?) but only once every few weeks. When you are using an SSD you hardly notice the kinds of hits to your system's speed you otherwise would with a regular HDD.

I absolutely agree. Buying an SSD is about the quickest and easiest thing you can do to drastically speed up your system, especially an old notebook/laptop. The prices also seem to have come down drastically since I bought mine. I try to convince everyone II know (and even offer to install it for free for those with no tech skills) because of how much it can improve a system.

I use CCleaner (Am I the only one who calls it CC Cleaner?) 

Nope :)

Sorry, I meant not worth the cost to me specifically.

I had an SSD a whiel back (only 128Gb) it only lasted about a year and a half before it went belly up (1 year warranty) I know they are much  better now but I have 2 1Tb HDD's in my laptop right now, and its not really worth the money to get an SSD to slap in there at the moment. Do I want one, Yes, but right now its just not cost effective for me to do it.

I'm old school, about once a month I manually delete all I can from the two temp folders in windows, then run Disk Cleanup, and reboot

As for defragging, I let the built in Windows Defrag do it automatically, been working perfectly fine for me 

Sorry, I meant not worth the cost to me specifically.

I had an SSD a whiel back (only 128Gb) it only lasted about a year and a half before it went belly up (1 year warranty) I know they are much  better now but I have 2 1Tb HDD's in my laptop right now, and its not really worth the money to get an SSD to slap in there at the moment. Do I want one, Yes, but right now its just not cost effective for me to do it.

Personally, I don't how good they are but what about those hybrid drives which have X amount of flash storage and the rest, usually up to 1TB, of traditional storage?

Obviously if you aren't in the market for a new drive, then you can ignore this, but if you were you could get the best of both worlds... Sort of.

I'm old school, about once a month I manually delete all I can from the two temp folders in windows, then run Disk Cleanup, and reboot

As for defragging, I let the built in Windows Defrag do it automatically, been working perfectly fine for me 

When CCleaner cleans the temporary directories, the default setting is to not remove files in there that are newer than 30 days old. This is a good idea because some programs might still need to use files that it placed in there recently. Personally, my advice to you is not to continue deleting everything in there.

Also, I hope you don't defragment an SSD. It's really not good for the hardware.

When CCleaner cleans the temporary directories, the default setting is to not remove files in there that are newer than 30 days old. This is a good idea because some programs might still need to use files that it placed in there recently. Personally, my advice to you is not to continue deleting everything in there.

Also, I hope you don't defragment an SSD. It's really not good for the hardware.

My system has been working fine since the XP days, see no reason to change, also I've not hoped on the SSD train yet, sadly, my system does have a 24gb SSD boot drive that helps, Windows doesn't see that one, hoping for one this fall, and with that I'll let Windows manage it also

Malwarebytes Full Scan

Full AV Scan

System Reboot

Do you find doing all that makes any difference?

Reason i ask is my Windows 8 install must be going on 2 years old and i do absolutely nothing to it, yet i still feel my PC is as snappy as the day i installed Windows.

Windows Defender scans in the background, Windows handles any defragging automatically and i basically re-start once a month when Windows Update has run. The only thing i have really done is disable various applications from starting with Windows.

hi

do you use ccleaner to clean windows8 or 7 temp and log files ?

do you use daily ?

is there a better alternative?

i started to use it some years ago

never tried other software

thanks

Not needed, this program doesn't do anything thing that existing things in Windows doesn't do now. Second defrag is pointless with Vista going forward. When Windows is idle it auto-defrags. Even if the files were fragmented HDD are so fast that they can more than compensate for that. Also if you use an SSD then its really pointless. In my experience CC cleaner does more harm than good. There was even a video on one of Microsoft's sites that said that stuff like CC cleaner hasn't been needed since the xp days. Back then most programs left behind too much stuff but the way things are now applications have gotten better and they uninstall a lot better now.