Mass Effect Survey Asks Players What They Want Out Of The Next Game

With the Mass Effect team preparing to make an appearance at San Diego Comic Con, BioWare is asking players for some more information on their preferences. If you?re interested in helping to shape the future of the futuristic RPG series, you can participate in a new survey.

The survey questions inquire as to player interest in story, customization, exploration, and more. BioWare is also exploring players? interest in cosplay, whether they participate or not. 

There is also a question about attendance at Gamescom and PAX Prime in August, so there might be more news coming before the summer is over. For more on Mass Effect, check out our coverage of the early information EA presented at E3.

Thanks to reader Cody R for the tip.

[source: Mike Gamble on Twitter]

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/15/mass-effect-survey-asks-players-what-they-want-out-of-the-next-game.aspx

I filled it out. Wrote that I loved exploring new alien worlds such as the asari home world, citidel etc and taht the story was the most important aspect.

• Like 2

Hrmm it is a worry that they need to go and ask players?

God damn bioware stick to your roots, good story line, depth of characters, meaningful choices and not rushed out the door by EA with an RGB ending at the end of what could have been a fantastic trilogy.

'Don't allow EA to get their tentacles so embedded that they kill you and Mass Effect just as they did DICE and Battlefield'.

If they just stick to the basics, the stuff they got right from the beginning of Mass Effect, they are on to a winner. They already know what works, they already demonstrated it.

Good story, depth of characters, branching storylines, they know this already.

God damn bioware stick to your roots, good story line, depth of characters, meaningful choices and not rushed out the door by EA with an RGB ending at the end of what could have been a fantastic trilogy.

Between StarWars MMO and other projects, most of the original developers / founders are no longer with the company. 

I do agree with you 100%. 

They been wanting to do a Jade Empire Redo / Like game again, EA, LET THEM. 

The worrying thing about this survey is that it seems like Bioware have been EA-ised to the point of nonsense.  It was only the other week DICE came out and said 'We don't know what made Bad Company so popular' despite it being glaringly obvious :(  If it's not on a tick sheet of what the comittee thinks makes a good game then they don't know what to do anymore.  What are they doing to their studios?

Make it so the choices actually matter to the ending and are not just there to give you the idea that you have choice when you don't.  I mean that ending had little to do with whatever other choices I did in ME1 and 2 when early on that's what players expected.   A true branching story, thanks.

More Mass Effect 1, less Mass Effect 3.

Exactly Mass Effect 2 :)

That's my request.  I liked how Everything was balanced perfectly in that one. me3 was way too far...  me1 was good, but i liked the me2 combat much more.

My answer would be "don't make another one". There is literally nothing they can do to, in any time-frame, that can relate to Shepard's trilogy in a meaningful way. Even if they DID keep Shepard as the main character, there is still no way to make another game that would fit with the previous ones after the ending of 3.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Panacea, ME2 hit the sweet spot, although I did enjoy the hell out of ME3 too. (Up until the last few minutes.)

That said, told them they need to remember their roots, what made BioWare great in the first place.. don't dumb it down, don't cut a lot of storyline just to be repackaged as DLC, and yea.. remember the player, would think they learned their lesson with ME3. Don't see why they couldn't do another set of ME games in a different period, it's a big universe and they've got a lot of potential material to work with, all sorts of storyline possibilities. There are other people in the universe besides Shepard.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Panacea, ME2 hit the sweet spot, although I did enjoy the hell out of ME3 too. (Up until the last few minutes.)

That said, told them they need to remember their roots, what made BioWare great in the first place.. don't dumb it down, don't cut a lot of storyline just to be repackaged as DLC, and yea.. remember the player, would think they learned their lesson with ME3. Don't see why they couldn't do another set of ME games in a different period, it's a big universe and they've got a lot of potential material to work with, all sorts of storyline possibilities. There are other people in the universe besides Shepard.

The universe is great, and the races and worlds already defined.    Surely they can make another trilogy, without re-imaging the whole thing.

However, they better not bring Shepard back and base it in different time period!     Really don't see the point...   New lead, new enemy race?   Sounds good to me.

Make it so the choices actually matter to the ending and are not just there to give you the idea that you have choice when you don't.  I mean that ending had little to do with whatever other choices I did in ME1 and 2 when early on that's what players expected.   A true branching story, thanks.

I personally still liked the ending, but I saw the choice itself as the real ending, not the things afterwards.

Mass Effect was about choices, and the ending was an inversion of your choices up to that point. The Paragon's goal was Renegade, the Renegade's path was Paragon... the Green was something completely diverting from either goals. It was enough to make me stop for half an hour and really, really consider my choice. That's what made it a good ending, imo.

Maybe when people bitch about ME4 they can turn around and say "We gave you what you asked for".

If they do multiplayer again they better include basic things like ability to see who's using their mic/when you are actually recording, ability to mute people etc.  And text chat ._.

--

I personally still liked the ending, but I saw the choice itself as the real ending, not the things afterwards.

Mass Effect was about choices, and the ending was an inversion of your choices up to that point. The Paragon's goal was Renegade, the Renegade's path was Paragon... the Green was something completely diverting from either goals. It was enough to make me stop for half an hour and really, really consider my choice. That's what made it a good ending, imo.

I agree with this pretty much.  Sure it was basic ending and whatever, but still it was a good overall experience for the whole game.  I also give Bioware credit for doing what they could having already been pushed by EA to get it out.  EA is the real cause of the issues tbh.

My answer would be "don't make another one". There is literally nothing they can do to, in any time-frame, that can relate to Shepard's trilogy in a meaningful way. Even if they DID keep Shepard as the main character, there is still no way to make another game that would fit with the previous ones after the ending of 3.

There is still lots they can cover.. How about first contact with other species ? The war against the Turians, and the other war that followed that that earth won.. forget who the race was..

Prequel is probably the best idea.

They have a rich universe of races, locations, history, lore I think making a new one makes sense if its done right, although I imagine the new story can't focus on the reapers and the reapers are pretty hard to top in terms of bad guys so not sure if any new storyline could be up to it.

• Like 2

Boom!

If they cared and wanted to make another Sci-Fi RPG they'd do just this - But it's the name/IP they care about, not really what would create a truly great game. Bioware have gone right down hill.

Wouldn't surprise me if all these surveys are sent directly to a trash can  :laugh: