The Last of Us Remastered lets you lock at 30FPS.

Regardless of what the "i need 60 fps or higher or im not buying it" crowd believes, 30fps is actually preferred for some game types by some players and devs as it does add a more cinematic feel and its not just some BS they say. So I am glad they added the option just so people can see the difference.  For multi 60fps is always desired though.

Quake Live is a Browser Based game

No it isn't :)

The game itself was always native C, just the server browser was running in your web browser, December last year they stopped using a web browser as netscape plugins were being scheduled to be dropped or require users to enable them, it's a stand alone game now, back as Quake3Arena was.

I did say I accept that modern games are not going to perform like that, though QL would be considerably faster if it wasn't still doing a lot of shader code on the CPU. Despite that,  it benchmarks at ~670fps at 1080p here ( 250 limit is game imposted for online play)

Anyway,

my point was not to belittle consoles, simply that I find 30fps horrible to play 3rd person or FPS games on... or beat em ups for that matter.

Cripple the experience because it is 30 FPS???

You do realize there are a whole, whole lot of console games that only run at 30 FPS, including the original Last Of Us. And it was hardly crippled.

Get your Master Race ###### out of here.

It's not about being the "master race"; it's about the gaming experience. Nobody serious about cars is going to buy a Kia, just like nobody serious about gaming is going to buy a console. You get what you pay for. I care about gaming and for me 30fps is unacceptable, as are sub-1080p resolutions (I game at 1600p@60fps).

• Like 2

No, because I game on PC where 60fps is standard.

The hell it is. 

there's a huge amount of gamers, maybe even the majority(if we only include those who actually know what framerate they run and and how to tweak their games) who will rather target high PQ at 30 fps than lower PQ at 60.

The hell it is. 

there's a huge amount of gamers, maybe even the majority(if we only include those who actually know what framerate they run and and how to tweak their games) who will rather target high PQ at 30 fps than lower PQ at 60.

Nonsense. PC games don't allows users to lock the framerate to 30fps, meaning that a framerate that low causes a wildly inconsistent gameplay experience - the situation is very different on consoles where the framerate is locked. Most PC games implement vsync, which caps framerates at either 60fps or 120fps; there is no option to limit the framerate to 30fps.

If you have evidence to the contrary then please provide a source, as extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It just seems strange that a console developer would include such an option when 60fps provides an objectively better experience, just like 1080p provides a better experience than 720p.

• Like 2

Most will simply set the graphics to the highest possible where it stays around 30. I'm sorry but the minority of wannabe competitive players who jerk off on forums about 60+ are just that, a minority.

Look at NVIDIA experience and the AMD equivalent, if you don't actively go in and change optimization for performance and high framerate they will target pq at 30

Topic cleaned

I will not hesitate to crack down on this PC vs console war attitude brewing in the GH. This sub-forum has been running smoothly for months and I will not see all the hard work the staff and I have put in go down the drain for another war to start.

Nonsense. PC games don't allows users to lock the framerate to 30fps, meaning that a framerate that low causes a wildly inconsistent gameplay experience - the situation is very different on consoles where the framerate is locked. Most PC games implement vsync, which caps framerates at either 60fps or 120fps; there is no option to limit the framerate to 30fps.

If you have evidence to the contrary then please provide a source, as extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It just seems strange that a console developer would include such an option when 60fps provides an objectively better experience, just like 1080p provides a better experience than 720p.

I've personally seen games on PC that let you lock at 30fps. And if it doesn't the NVIDIA control panel allows you to enable V-sync on games without even going into the game settings. Also one of these options is "V-Sync halved". 

Also don't forget if you enable Vsync and your computer can't quite hit 60 it will immediately lock to 30. It provides a smoother experience than if your PC might drop to 40s in manic moments. 

Check out the framerate lock options in borderlands 2. There's lots of framerate brackets you can lock to. 

• Like 1

What the hell is this "cinematic experience" people keep mentioning when talking about playing at 30fps? I've played plenty of games at around 30 in my time due to my PC not always having the oomph for more but I've never felt any "cinematic experience" because of low fps. Most films run at ~24fps too..

What the hell is this "cinematic experience" people keep mentioning when talking about playing at 30fps? I've played plenty of games at around 30 in my time due to my PC not always having the oomph for more but I've never felt any "cinematic experience" because of low fps. Most films run at ~24fps too..

I know i play allmost all my Games Ultamate settings at 30FPS no issues. I do need a Better GFX Card but. it runs fine at 30FPS i can't usaly tell much difference over higher speeds (when thay fluctulate)

just my 2c.

I know i play allmost all my Games Ultamate settings at 30FPS no issues. I do need a Better GFX Card but. it runs fine at 30FPS i can't usaly tell much difference over higher speeds (when thay fluctulate)

just my 2c.

No problem against that, I'm just puzzled what exactly is the "cinematic experience" some people (including game devs) use to justify capping games at 30fps. I've played games that offer what could be called a cinematic experience, but fps had nothing to do with it. It all looks like an excuse to me, instead of saying the hardware is not strong enough to run at higher fps and/or our coders are crap.

30 fps for games is considered "cinematic experience" because it closer to the 24fps that is used for movies. It doesn't look too real like most user videos that run at 60 fps... before they are converted to 30 fps on YouTube. It is not good look for some games like sports games because they want to give that like your really there look... unless it football and basketball (maybe some other sports games) which try to give you a feeling like you are watching a live sports event on TV (announcers, scoreboard on the lower screen, etc.). Would be nice if they had an option to give me a in the game experience instead of watching a game experience...Oculus Rift?

*YouTube will soon let people have 60 fps videos.

30 fps for games is considered "cinematic experience" because it closer to the 24fps that is used for movies. It doesn't look too real like most user videos that run at 60 fps... before they are converted to 30 fps on YouTube. It is not good look for some games like sports games because they want to give that like your really there look... unless it football and basketball (maybe some other sports games) which try to give you a feeling like you are watching a live sports event on TV (announcers, scoreboard on the lower screen, etc.). Would be nice if they had an option to give me a in the game experience instead of watching a game experience...Oculus Rift?

*YouTube will soon let people have 60 fps videos.

Some videos are already using the 60 fps in YouTube.

Has there been any gameplay or anything from the Remastered version cropped up online yet?  So far all i've seen is the trailer and the handful of screenshots, which is a bit annoying this close to release there isn't more :/

The Devs for The Order 1886 said 30FPS was better because it was a "cinematic experience" when fans demanded to know why it was only 30fps when the game isn't 1080p. Ever since then people have been using that term.

The Devs for The Order 1886 said 30FPS was better because it was a "cinematic experience" when fans demanded to know why it was only 30fps when the game isn't 1080p. Ever since then people have been using that term.

The whole 'The Order isn't 1080p' thing isn't as black and white as it seems. Don't have time to go into the details of it right now but there's enough about it on the internet if you look it up.

The whole 'The Order isn't 1080p' thing isn't as black and white as it seems. Don't have time to go into the details of it right now but there's enough about it on the internet if you look it up.

I have looked it up. It isn't full 1080p. The textures are 1920x800. 

I have looked it up. It isn't full 1080p. The textures are 1920x800. 

The game is still being rendered at 1080p, it is just that 280 lines are black. The picture still has the same pixel density as a 1080p image.

It is done for artistic reasons to achieve an aspect ratio of 2.40:1 , and at that ratio you would need a resolution of 2592x1080 for it to be full screen without bars.

The game is not rendered at 800p and upscaled.

That's just an excuse, as when they actually tried running the game at 24fps for a "cinematic experience" they found it was unacceptable. It's just because they haven't got the performance available, so they're going for 30fps.

I wish developers would be honest, rather than blatantly lying to gamers. It's nothing to do with providing a "cinematic experience", they just don't have the power available to run at 60fps at the level of visual fidelity they are targeting.

30 fps for games is considered "cinematic experience" because it closer to the 24fps that is used for movies. It doesn't look too real like most user videos that run at 60 fps... before they are converted to 30 fps on YouTube. It is not good look for some games like sports games because they want to give that like your really there look...

I call bull on 30fps = "cinematic experience" regardless what the game is.

That's just an excuse, as when they actually tried running the game at 24fps for a "cinematic experience" they found it was unacceptable. It's just because they haven't got the performance available, so they're going for 30fps.

I wish developers would be honest, rather than blatantly lying to gamers. It's nothing to do with providing a "cinematic experience", they just don't have the power available to run at 60fps at the level of visual fidelity they are targeting.

It looks like a it's a ######-poor excuse for their own shortcomings and it looks like some people bought the PR-speak hook, line and sinker. Here I was thinking most games feel sluggish at 30fps, when in fact, I was having a "cinematic experience" all along. Silly me.

• Like 1

I know this isn't "users" locking FPS but this is a PC game that was not only locked at FPS but completely broke when it was modded to play at 60 FPS. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Need-Speed-Rivals-Gimped-PC-60fps-Completely-Breaks-Game-60649.html

I know this isn't "users" locking FPS but this is a PC game that was not only locked at FPS but completely broke when it was modded to play at 60 FPS. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Need-Speed-Rivals-Gimped-PC-60fps-Completely-Breaks-Game-60649.html

Dark Souls was also locked at 30fps. It's generally the sign of a bad port. On a semi related note physics break in Skyrim if you mod it to run over 60fps. I view 30FPS as an acceptable framerate to run at, and so do many others I know. With ENBseries on my Skyrim it sometimes drops to 40-45 out in open areas, so I have V-Sync enabled, which means it's 60fps in towns and buildings, but drops to 30 outdoors when I go outdoors, on the whole I view it as a much smoother experience because there's no judder like you get at 40-50.