LG 29UM65 Review

Those settings are still WAY out for my monitor :p

Hmm can't say I have really noticed that with cyan etc. colours. I won't and probably never will mess around with those 6 colour settings, too much to mess with :p

BTW, a freesync version of the LG 29" and 34" 21.9 monitors is supposedly coming out early next year :D

Hey thanks for sharing !
Nice review and great monitor =)

Not much detail about input lag, but, I could do further testings about it lol... I compared it to my AOC P2460PG, which is a very very fast monitor.
at both 60Hz the LG monitor is clearly ahead by 2 frames !!! What a awesome performance for a IPS panel, and pretty disappointing for a TN panel marketed as a gaming monitor.
Although, when I set 144Hz for the AOC, it seems that they are head to head, with a slight advantage maybe for the AOC, though most of the time I take a shots, they display the same image, sometimes the LG is 1 frame ahead sometimes (more often I think) it's the AOC, they are very close.

Well I'm already dreaming for a 29" 2560x1080 AH IPS 144Hz GSync / ULMB / 3D / Freesync (or Gsync) :D

Good news that! Thanks for the info.

hehe, I am waiting for more freesync/gsync monitors.

Main thing I want to be improved is the motion clarity though.

Really want to try a VA monitor out next time too.

Just a shame that you can't get a "perfect" monitor :(

hmm motion clarity hmmm I guess it would be much improved with a 120 / 144 hz monitor whatever it is IPS or VA but ULMB increadbly improves it
Though my playstyle is so nervous that even with ULMB + 120Hz things get blurred.

In the end I prefer 144 Hz and G Sync rather than 120Hz and ULMB.

I hope freesynch wont add some input (device) lag Gsync can if you do not use a fps capper for instance I cap it at 140. But fortunately the lag is not noticeable.

Only thing is supposedly ULMB degrades the colours etc. a fair bit? Also, only works for nvidia GPUs too iirc :(

AFAIK, freesync shouldn't have any lag at all, in theory it should probably have less input lag than gsync monitors. Hopefully we get some reviews of freesync monitors soon.......

Only thing is supposedly ULMB degrades the colours etc. a fair bit? Also, only works for nvidia GPUs too iirc :(

AFAIK, freesync shouldn't have any lag at all, in theory it should probably have less input lag than gsync monitors. Hopefully we get some reviews of freesync monitors soon.......

Hmm it degrades contrast a little but nothing very noticeable, https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pg/

it's arround 1000:1 without and 800:1 with.

But yeah that sucks, it's nvidia only :/ hopefully something like freesync will happen for ULMB, and it would kill nvidia's proprietaries technologies if both could be enabled at the same time!

Apparently G sync doesn't really add input lag to the screen, but it can add a very little device lag (mouse/keyboard) just like V-Sync but a lot less though.

As you said, it's hard picking up the perfect monitor :D

But 21/9 is a requirement now for me... just like freesync/gsync...

So I'll probably sell my monitors when a good 21/9 with freesync is out, hmm maybe I'll take a bigger one if they are a bit cheaper..

Now I want to try 3D on my AOC, it may be a new requirement lol... Depends on how convincing it is.

Quite a bit of a loss in CR then :(

Yeah, you still get some input lag with gsync but as you said, it is FAR less than standard vsync, probably something that no one would notice tbh.

Samsung have just announced that all of their 4k monitors coming out next year will have freesync so hopefully their 34" VA 21.9 (?950+) monitor coming late December/early next year will also have freesync....

Also, supposedly the dell 34" 21.9 screen will have freesync but it is going to be about ?800+)

I think 34" is just too big for me though, 32" is the absolute max I could.

hehe, not used 3D myself but apparently it is pretty good for certain games once set up properly.

Well I really need a display calibrator...

I've just changed my colour settings again lol, I decided to switch back to medium colour temp and let the monitor handle the colour itself.. Because my settings were crazy.
But I've found something quite interesting !

If the gamma http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php isn't perfect, mine for instance blue and green were under 2.2 I've found a way to adjust them perfectly !
Just go into "Six Color" and increase the saturation of the color to increase it's gamma, I did not modify cyan magenta or yellow but I've increase blue to 54, green and red to 52.

I dunno why I can't edit my messages anymore :/ anyway..

I wanted to add that I think I will sell my AOC P2460PG sooner than what I expect, because the only reason I would keep it was because it's incedibly smooth for shootmania and it's a delight to play with!
Shootmania doesn't want my 74Hz fullscreen for some reason and windowed causes lags... so I'm stuck at 60Hz and it just can't compete with the AOC with smoothness.
It would be smooth enough if I could enable v sync but v sync causes devices lag... and it's not acceptable...

But ! I've found something to raise the vsync smooth feeling for my LG 29UM65 !
On shootmania, I always have more than 60 fps, I'm actually arround 140 most of the time, but still it feels laggy because this game need as much smoothness as possible when you play seriously...

I decided to switch the graphic from ultra to lowest, and my fps are arround 300-400 now, so the GPU updates the image much much more often and it matches the monitor refresh rate much much more often !
So it made my game much more smooth ! I don't mind ugly graphics the game is very fast I don't pay attention..
But now it feels just as smooth as if there was vsync ON, and without any input lags !

I've tested again the two monitors input lag because there was a bad setting last time, and guess what, the LG 29UM65 at 60fps can outperform the AOC @ 144Hz... It is now sometime a frame ahead of the AOC super fast TN...
They are still head to head though but the LG now was never below the AOC on the 50 shoots I took o___o

You are worse than me for tweaking the settings! :D

I am happy with the prad settings for the 29ub65, except my brightness is at 15%

lol yeah probably :D

But I bet your screen is too yellow for me :p lol

I'll try the prad setting I hadn't notice they've shared their settings :o

Well R47 G48 B50 is far too warm for me... Probably my monitor kelvin temp is way higher than 6500k...

on the other hand it's far less aggressive for the eyes ^^

Just like them though I think 66 of contrast is the best setting.

hehe perhaps :p

Your screen certainly sounds unique for calibration settings :D It would be interesting to see the values that a calibrator would pick for your screen.

I could probably up my B value to 51 but happy enough enough with 50 tbh.

Now if only tftcentral would do a review on the 29um65/29ub65.......

Regarding editing messages, iirc, you can only edit the posts within 15 minutes of the original post but if you are a MVC etc. then you can edit them at any time ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, If you dont mind I would like to ask a question about the 29um65.

I just got one, and overall its great, I'm just having trouble figuring out what is happenning with the dual link thingy...

So this is what happens, I have My pc plugged through HDMI 1, and then I plug a laptop or a tv box to the hdmi 2. But this is causing weird issues,for example, laptop connected to HDMI 2, turned on, PC plugged t HDMI 1, turned OFF, but the grafics card fans are still spinning...the sto imediately after i unplug the HDMI 2...

Sometimes the PC wont even boot, if both cables are plugged...

Any idea why this happens? should i call ghostbusters or what?

thanks...

Hey guys, If you dont mind I would like to ask a question about the 29um65.

I just got one, and overall its great, I'm just having trouble figuring out what is happenning with the dual link thingy...

So this is what happens, I have My pc plugged through HDMI 1, and then I plug a laptop or a tv box to the hdmi 2. But this is causing weird issues,for example, laptop connected to HDMI 2, turned on, PC plugged t HDMI 1, turned OFF, but the grafics card fans are still spinning...the sto imediately after i unplug the HDMI 2...

Sometimes the PC wont even boot, if both cables are plugged...

Any idea why this happens? should i call ghostbusters or what?

thanks...

Your GPU's Particular driver could be the issue as well.

Someone had a similar issue, iirc the only workaround is to change one of your leads to a DVI-D or display port cable and if you really need top use HDMI for both then try a HDMI to DVI-D lead.

Thanks, I was thinking about that too, but displayport cables, are still a rare beast round these parts, and bleeding expensive...As for the HDMI cables I'm using, they shouldn?t be the problem, one is a philips, gold plated, and the other is the one that came with the screen...Graphics card is a GTX 760 ROG Striker, three or four months use...

Guess i'll try ordering a DP cable later on then...

Thanks for the tips guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was reading a review of three of these ultra-wide monitors and the comment that they make it look like your looking at windows through a letterbox got me thinking, does it?

What's it like looking at the screen for an extended period of time?

It takes a bit of getting use to at first but once you do, there is no going back imo. Games and films are just so much more immersive.

I resize chrome and any other programs where reading is involved so that it isn't "full screen", easier on the eyes and no need for the wideness.

Decent article on the 29" 2560x1080 experience:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-219-2560-x-1080-experience/

• Like 2

I'm so glad I checked back in on this thread and found your last post with the link. I wanted to upgrade my monitor to a widescreen and have been reading a lot oabout them and especially following yours and other threads on the subject. I ended up going for the Dell 34'' Curved instead of the 29'' variant. That linked article actually has a lot of information I was looking for, weird how I never came across it during my searches.

Anyway, thanks for that (Y)

No problem :)

Personally I would go for the Samsung 34" VA monitor over the LG, Dell and AOC for a few reasons:

- no need to worry about back light bleed and excessive IPS glow, blacks are great with a contrast ratio of about 2000:1

- supposedly feels smoother with better motion clarity

Although, out of the box, the Samsung is very poor for colours but once calibrated, it is apparently very good.

The guy who owns that site, which I linked to and does the reviews posts a fair bit on overclockers.co.uk forum (under the username of PCM2) and has the posted some of his opinions on the dell and Samsung:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18636043&page=30

He should have a review of the Samsung and the Dell done by the end of this month.

Either way, I'm sure you will love whatever you go with, be sure to report back what you think of the monitor :D

Thanks for that link as well, I'll have a read through it.

Unfortunately I don't have the monitor yet. The day I ordered it the site was stating it would be available in 2 days, 10mins after I ordered it that changed to 39 days... I now have to wait until the 5th April.

I might have cancelled the order and gone with another one, but I have credit with that store as I had to return the ASUS Swift 27'' and they refunded the purchase price (after 6 months, great customer service).

Besides, I have a Dell Ultrasharp 24'' now that lasted for 13 years and I kinda became a big fan of the Dell Ultrasharp :-)

Last week I saw the LG 34'' at Mediamarkt and I was surprised how big it is (really bloody big), but I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure that once I have the new display I'll also never be able to go back. Switching from the new 27'' 1440p back to my 24'' was bad enough.