Of course. My point is just that the portion sizes are excessive for the average person and no warning is given when ordering meals that have excessive calorie counts.

Most restaurants already include calories counts in their menus now and people should be personally responsible for their own eating habits. Does everything bad need a warning nowadays?

Most restaurants already include calories counts in their menus now and people should be personally responsible for their own eating habits.

Of course people should be responsible for themselves but people should also expect businesses to behave responsibly. Having portion sizes that are unsuitable for most customers is obviously not being responsible, nor is upselling larger portion sizes.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to make business warn customers about portion sizes when ordering large meals.

Blame nations which have a large lower class living below the poverty line unable to eat healthy because that costs more money.

But that is pol. not sci.

What? That is in no way true. Healthier food is way cheaper than the ###### from MD.

What? That is in no way true. Healthier food is way cheaper than the ###### from MD.

'Organic', 'Non-GMO', 'real sugar', 'grass fed', ... products are way more expensive and smaller in size.

At least that is my experience.

On top of that, you need to make the food yourself because ready to eat food usually contains way more sodium and fat.

Just look at ready to eat chicken...

:/

Of course people should be responsible for themselves but people should also expect businesses to behave responsibly. Having portion sizes that are unsuitable for most customers is obviously not being responsible, nor is upselling larger portion sizes.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to make business warn customers about portion sizes when ordering large meals.

Business' and governments don't need to hold your hand and walk you through life.

Should be able to go anywhere and buy any amount of anything that you want, without the kid in the window snickering at you.

Besides, Mcdonalds doesn't give you a large order with normal value meals anymore, you have to ask and pay extra for it.

I think the standard is the medium, which isn't much better than the small, and 99% of the time they only feel the cup half way.

I miss the fries, i've been on my no junk diet for a while now. (made this decision on my own, mcdonalds didn't put me on it ;) amazing i know.)

You'd think they would have chosen someone a little more fit when showing off what their fries can do to you. :laugh:

Feeding a family at McDonald's everyday would not be cheap. Not seeing your point here...

agree. value meals are $6-9 now. I miss the days when they were $3, ha.

The food really isnt that good for the price. Fries are decent though when they are fresh.

Pay the same or a little more to goto a steak house or something and get an actual meal.

I'd worry less about whats in the fries, and worry more about whats in their cheaper hamburgers. You have to pay $7-8 for a burger with actual meat. lol

• Like 1

'Organic', 'Non-GMO', 'real sugar', 'grass fed', ... products are way more expensive and smaller in size.

At least that is my experience.

:/

You don't need to buy 'Organic', 'Non-GMO', 'grass fed' etc to make a healthy meal. Also you might think you're spending a lot of money on groceries but the cost per meal may end up being very low. Ingredients can be used in a variety of ways. Don't just focus on one meal.

• Like 1

Business' and governments don't need to hold your hand and walk you through life.

Should be able to go anywhere and buy any amount of anything that you want, without the kid in the window snickering at you.

Besides, Mcdonalds doesn't give you a large order with normal value meals anymore, you have to ask and pay extra for it.

I think the standard is the medium, which isn't much better than the small, and 99% of the time they only feel the cup half way.

I miss the fries, i've been on my no junk diet for a while now. (made this decision on my own, mcdonalds didn't put me on it ;) amazing i know.)

agree. value meals are $6-9 now. I miss the days when they were $3, ha.

The food really isnt that good for the price. Fries are decent though when they are fresh.

Pay the same or a little more to goto a steak house or something and get an actual meal.

I'd worry less about whats in the fries, and worry more about whats in their cheaper hamburgers. You have to pay $7-8 for a burger with actual meat. lol

You can feed a small family for entire day for 3-4 dollars from the dollar menu.

You don't need to buy 'Organic', 'Non-GMO', 'grass fed' etc to make a healthy meal. Also you might think you're spending a lot of money on groceries but the cost per meal may end up being very low. Ingredients can be used in a variety of ways. Don't just focus on one meal.

Can you make a filling meal for a buck?

You can feed a small family for entire day for 3-4 dollars from the dollar menu.

exaggerator.

Cannot. A small family is still bout 3-4 people? 3-4 items off the dollar menu mean you get 3-4 items (since its mostly a dollar, but not really).

Around here the mcdouble (only so called beef sandwich on the dollar menu) is about $1.50 now. It's a good laxative really.

I think its the same as the mcchicken as well.

4 sandwhiches would be about $7 alone, even off the dollar menu, and then youd probably get them fries which would be another few bucks. And this is just lunch.

Then drinks. Would still be around $10 per dinner time.

In the end it doesn't really save you, over a better meal at home.

• Like 1

exaggerator.

Cannot. How large is the family? 3-4 items off the dollar menu mean you get 3-4 items. Usually there are 4 people per family (alot more around where i live).

Around here the mcdouble (only so called beef sandwich on the dollar menu) is about $1.50 now. It's a good laxative really.

I think its the same as the mcchicken as well.

Small.

Did you not read what I said?

A family of three absolutely can do what I said if they aren't heffers.  Exaggeration?  No.  Just been broke before.

Mcdouble is still a buck here so....

It still costs more beforehand.  When you are penniless, you can't just not eat for a week to save up for healthy groceries.

Small.

A family of three absolutely can do what I said if they aren't heffers.  Exaggeration?  No.  Just been broke before.

Is the $3-4 per person or per family? If I had to stretch a $1 item for an entire day I would be damn hungry.

It still costs more beforehand.  When you are penniless, you can't just not eat for a week to save up for healthy groceries.

True but how is it you could only afford to make small payments over a long period of time? Whether its fast food or home cooking you are gonna spend some amount of dollars over a given time period. And if you are that broke, I think you would qualify for government assistance as well.

• Like 1

Small.

I read exactly what you said. You said you can feed an entire small family (you didnt give a number, most small families are 3-4 people) for less than $5 a day.

Your price means each person wouldn't even get a full buger (split the couple you get amongst the members of the family, and would have to share fries, and perhaps skip the drink.

And then suggest this small portion will fill them ALL DAY? That would mean they're eating a tiny portion one time a day, which in itself isn't healthy.

My point is that you exaggerated, and its still not cheaper. It'd still be around $10 to feed the family per eating. and multiply that by 3.

Cheaper to get the ingredients and make the food at home yourself. Can get a box of 35 100% pure lean beef patties from walmart for only $20. Even cheaper for the less quality patties (still better than what they give you on the mcdouble) Loaf of bread is $2. Sure it costs more at first, but at the end of the week you'll have more money.

• Like 1

Let see.  For a week spending 4x7 = $28

For a month = $120

$120 of groceries will buy you enough meat to freeze and pretty vegetables, and cooking oil and butter and tea and sugar and salt.    You really can stretch a budget, if you are willing to freeze and defrost as necessary, and can use ingredients!

The meals you are going to eat for $120 a month in Basic grocery store (and i am talking only raw /frozen products)  will be way healthier and more nutrition then ANYTHING you can get at McD

Also feeding a small family for 3-4 dollars in McD?     Seriously? 

I read exactly what you said. You said you can feed an entire small family (you didnt give a number, most small families are 3-4 people) for less than $5 a day. And then said to someone else it'd be "filling", which means they would get more than one item each.

Your price means each person wouldn't even get a full buger (split the couple you get amongst the members of the family, and would have to share fries, and perhaps skip the drink.

And then suggest this small portion will fill them ALL DAY? That would mean they're eating a tiny portion one time a day, which in itself isn't healthy.

My point is that you exaggerated, and its still not cheaper. It'd still be around $10 to feed the family, and multiply that by 3.

Cheaper to get the ingredients and make the food at home yourself. Can get a box of 35 100% pure lean beef patties from walmart for only $20. Even cheaper for the less quality patties (still better than what they give you on the mcdouble) Loaf of bread is $2. Sure it costs more at first, but at the end of the week you'll have more money.

Funny how you can change things when you take things out of context.

My filling comment was regarding a single meal, not YOUR comment.

Yes, 3-4 dollars can give you enough caloric intake to survive.  Not comfortably, but you can do it.

Clearly we have people in here who have never fallen on hard times.

For a month = $120

$120 of groceries will buy you enough meat to freeze and pretty vegetables, and cooking oil and butter and tea and sugar and salt.    You really can stretch a budget, if you are willing to freeze and defrost as necessary, and can use ingredients!

The meals you are going to eat for $120 a month in Basic grocery store (and i am talking only raw /frozen products)  will be way healthier and more nutrition then ANYTHING you can get at McD

So don't eat for a month and you are set with healthy food.

Got it! ;)

For a month = $120

Also feeding a small family for 3-4 dollars in McD?     Seriously? 

FFS.

5 dollars.  6?  You get the damn point.

We go to the local butcher and buy 80-85% lean burger he grinds from whole sides.

Put a bit in the hamburger press, stack with wax paper between and freeze. Actually cheaper than pre-made patties and without the filler.

Homemade onion rolls are a snap.

Sure it costs more at first, but at the end of the week you'll have more money.

Exactly.    But ain't no one got time for that???  LOL

Are you kidding me?

When im out of money, the last thing i'll do is goto the dollar menu at mcdonalds. or any fast food, Which is my point.

Because like i said, its cheaper to buy the ingredients at the grocery store, and make the meals at home.

Perhaps you're on hard times because you goto mcdonalds everyday, and apply the same thought process to other areas, only making the financial situation worse

Hard times means going wamart, buying bread, baloney, ramen noodles. Will be SUPER cheap, and will get you further.

Hell, i've had it so hard at times i had to live off just the noodles, ha.

• Like 1

OK man, you clearly never really seen hard times. And the "hard" times you have seen, allowed you to eat at McD..... how "hard" is that!!!

If you can afford to buy McD everyday to survive, YOU who clearly don't understand what HARD times means.

For prepared food, there is ALWAYS a cost to maintain the restaurant and to pay the cost of rent.   It WILL NEVER be cheaper then buying your own food. NEVER!  Someone pays then wages and the rest and with each dollar meal you are paying it too!!!

I lived of canned baked beans for many months, ok???    That is hard time.... and that is the only thing I could afford.  I was SUPER LUCKY if I got a piece of bread to go with it.

Affording a McD meal EVERY day to me was a damn luxury!

Are you kidding me?

When im out of money, the last thing i'll do is goto the dollar menu at mcdonalds. or any fast food, Which is my point.

Because like i said, its cheaper to buy the ingredients at the grocery store, and make the meals at home.

Perhaps you're on hard times because you goto mcdonalds everyday, and apply the same thought process to other areas, only making the financial situation worse

Hard times means Goto wamart, buy bread, baloney, and some ramen noodles. Will be SUPER cheap.

Funny how you make assumptions about me.  Typical Neowinian....

I don't eat fast food, smart guy.  However I understand when people say healthy food is more expensive (because it is).

OK man, you clearly never really seen hard times. And the "hard" times you have seen, allowed you to eat at McD..... how "hard" is that!!!

If you can afford to buy McD everyday to survive, YOU who clearly don't understand what HARD times means.

For prepared food, there is ALWAYS a cost to maintain the restaurant and to pay the cost of rent.   It WILL NEVER be cheaper then buying your own food. NEVER!  Someone pays then wages and the rest and with each dollar meal you are paying it too!!!

See above comment.

Here, read a study from people smarter than both of you:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-eating-healthy-expensive-study-20131206-story.html

Funny how you make assumptions about me.  Typical Neowinian....

I don't eat fast food, smart guy.  However I understand when people say healthy food is more expensive (because it is).

See above comment.

I'm not assuming anything, im going off what you said.

You're the one assuming all these things, apparently.

• Like 1

I'm not assuming anything, im going off what you said.

You're the one assuming all these things, apparently.

I guess you forgot you said this:

If that isn't an assumption, I don't know what is.

Eating "healthy"  in this study means eating grass fed preservative free organic, most likely.  Even if not, it is still comparing a cost of buying it from a store!!!!!  It is not factoring a price to eat crap from a retail fast food outlet!

Anything fresh is better, and healthier.  No need to the "healthy".       Non-organic, GMO, pertiside sprayed, mutated fresh veggies are still miles better then McD, and cheaper also. Canned veggies, frozen veggies, canned tuna and chicken... much cheaper, and STILL BETTER then McD.

I guess you forgot you said this:

If that isn't an assumption, I don't know what is.

Actually, from your arguments here, it seems quite plausible.