OS X Yosemite has convinced me, has it convinced you?

Nice job Apple, you've successfully convinced me to dump my PC and switch to a Mac, I mean that experience; it's so amazing.

How many of you have been convinced to switch because of Yosemite. They even manage to do the minimalistic interface better than Windows 8.

It gets a giant NOPE from me.  Windows for life.

Using the official release.  Loving it.  SOOO much better than using Windows 8.1...but sadly..im stuck with that for gaming even though its UI is trash. 

Using the official release.  Loving it.  SOOO much better than using Windows 8.1...but sadly..im stuck with that for gaming even though its UI is trash. 

No - you aren't.

Adding OS X to an all-Windows system (if you have an extra drive - either HDD or SSD) is depressingly simple.

Further, there are an not-insignificant number of games that are compatible with both operating systems (and that is just on Steam and Origin, which are available for both OSes; some titles - the current SimCity reboot is the most obvious, allow cross-OS play (as in start on one OS, and continue in the other; this is something I have done repeatedly, and I've posted my findings in the SimCity thread here on Neowin itself).

While some titles (and that DOES include the most popular shooters) have not gone cross-OS, that is a developer-driven decision - I have no idea why the developer chose not to go there.  But it's doable, has in fact, been done, and there are those that delight in it.

Adding OS X to an all-Windows system (if you have an extra drive - either HDD or SSD) is depressingly simple

Setting aside for a minute whether that's actually true or not ? what's depressing about it?

Setting aside for a minute whether that's actually true or not ? what's depressing about it?

I was referring to the simplicity of the process itself - FAR easier than anyone would suspect!

It is, actually, NO harder than adding a Linux distribution; in most cases, oddly enough, it is far EASIER.

The two hardware components I use are a USB stick to install from, and a target drive.  Hard drives, SSDs, and even larger USB sticks, are all options - OS X will boot from any of them after installation.

Use HDMI for audio in Windows?  OS X (back to Snow Leopard, in fact) supports it out of the box

Use integrated (onboard) audio?  Add a third-party utility - VoodooHDA.  (It also works with those rare problematical HDMI connections that aren't supported out of the box.)

Need support for reading your existing Windows drives?  That is included out of the box. (SMB support for networked Windows drives is also included.)

Am I the only one who thinks Yosemite has a terrible UI design

Not terrible, but they could've done better. Frankly I felt and continue to feel the same way about iOS 7 and 8. Looks alright, fancy on one hand, but I can't help but think that the old Forstall-inspired era was refined, even if the skeuomorphism got out of hand.

My main gripe with Yosemite is how comparatively bad Helvetica Neue looks on a non-Retina display compared to Lucida Grande. Also there are places where the kerning (spacing) of UI text is way off, that there's too much spacing.

I've also noticed an all too familiar (slight) increase in UI lagginess with the transparencies all over the place.

Am I the only one who thinks Yosemite has a terrible UI design

I happen to like the more "flat" approach of UIs recently, so I'm not too bothered by Yosemite. But on the other hand, it doesn't work all that different from Mavericks, so any OS X usability issues that existed before still exist in Yosemite.

Something tells me you didn't really give it a chance.  :laugh:

Maybe he did, and doesn't care for OS X? I know plenty of people who have used OS X for a long time, and genuinely prefer Windows for various reasons. Not everything Apple releases is perfect and/or suited for all.

We've come full circle back to OS X tiger, at least with the dock.

I noticed that and thought it was funny, especially seeing that it got more than a few comments during the WWDC keynote. Although the transparency effects are different from the 10.0-10.4 incarnation.

Not terrible, but they could've done better. Frankly I felt and continue to feel the same way about iOS 7 and 8. Looks alright, fancy on one hand, but I can't help but think that the old Forstall-inspired era was refined, even if the skeuomorphism got out of hand.

My main gripe with Yosemite is how comparatively bad Helvetica Neue looks on a non-Retina display compared to Lucida Grande. Also there are places where the kerning (spacing) of UI text is way off, that there's too much spacing.

I've also noticed an all too familiar (slight) increase in UI lagginess with the transparencies all over the place.

The font is one of my biggest issues. Its not gonna look great on my low-res Air or iPad2 

I like the look of certain aspects of Yosemite or iOS7/8 in those high quality website renders.... but on the screen and in your hand it doesn't look great. 'Polish' is exactly what I think is missing from these releases, its not been looked over with a fine comb 

Maybe he did, and doesn't care for OS X? I know plenty of people who have used OS X for a long time, and genuinely prefer Windows for various reasons. Not everything Apple releases is perfect and/or suited for all. 

Oh, I agree. Maybe Nogib has very good reasons for preferring Windows. I know many people do. But..and maybe that's just me... when someone ends their post with ?Windows for life?, I don?t get the impression that they?re particularly receptive to alternatives in the first place. Again, that's just what I took from that post.  :sleep2:

I chose 'dark mode' and 'reduced transparency' from the accessibility options and it looks a lot better - I guess they're going for the 'hip young crowd' where as I'd prefer solid flat design akin to Piet Mondrian crossed with some Metro influences.

I chose 'dark mode' and 'reduced transparency' from the accessibility options and it looks a lot better - I guess they're going for the 'hip young crowd' where as I'd prefer solid flat design akin to Piet Mondrian crossed with some Metro influences.

Graphite / Grey here with default "light" theme here. Not very happy with the aesthetics and putting it into dark mode looks too much like Gnome 3/Gnome Shell but with bad readability.

Its taken a while for the UI changes to grow on me. Not saying I like them but its not the massive hatred I had for it in the beginning. My complaint is that it looks to iOSish to me. I recently did a clean install of the OS using the USB recovery drive just to see if there were any changes there. It installs great. Now I just have to finish install my apps and getting my data copied back. I did not want to import from a Time Machine this time around because I wanted to drop some baggage I wasn't using.

I don't like it at all, but I've tried to for a long time. What I've always liked on OSX is the detail on the icons and things like that. I'm sad it looks like Windows 8 now.

I don't like it at all, but I've tried to for a long time. What I've always liked on OSX is the detail on the icons and things like that. I'm sad it looks like Windows 8 now.

By looking like Windows 8, you mean not at all....sure.

• Like 2

I'm curious what aspects of Yosemite you think look like Windows 8+. Granted, it does have a tendency towards a "flat" appearance, but that's about it. How Microsoft and Apple have implemented that appearance are entirely different. I honestly cannot understand how, even at first glance, one could confuse Yosemite for Win8. They look nothing alike.

Did not warm to the betas because I installed on a clean partition but upgraded my core machine and oddly I really liked it when it finished the upgrade. I think it just needs that lived in look to feel good.

Nice job Apple, you've successfully convinced me to dump my PC and switch to a Mac, I mean that experience; it's so amazing.

How many of you have been convinced to switch because of Yosemite. They even manage to do the minimalistic interface better than Windows 8.

If it wasn't for Windows 8, then yeah Yosemite would have made me consider the Mac again. But Windows 8 is too good to leave. 

Nope, Mac just isn't for me. Have tried them at various points on different machines (iMac, MBA, rMBP) and I just find too many things clunky and annoying.

I would use dark mode but there a couple of icons that completely disappear into the menu bar :/

It's a great version but what is with those ugly ass sounds.

Like when you install an app ..."Duunnk. ..what an unattractive sound.