PS4 system update news coming 'very soon'

All I want is to be able to pause downloads and DLNA.

Yeah, pause downloads is a must.

The other change I want to see is the behaviour the main menu has listing every game you own / played. It should show the most recent game or disc in the PS4 and the rest listed in a folder / library.

• Like 2

You can't pause downloads?

tumblr_lwg6nhGmaF1qzjix8.gif

Nope, its shocking.

Especially for people like me with slow internet. *Turns on PS4, Killzone SF 2GB patch starts downloading*.... *sigh*

No friend notifications are a killer.

Start playing a game waiting for a buddy to come online. Check friends menu manually and find they have been online for a while and it just didn't alert :/

I don't know, if I had a choice I'd rather be the company that sells more and patches less over the company that patches more and sells less. Maybe that's just me though.

No argument there.

kind of a difference though.  There are regular patches (all of us with PS3's know of the dreaded stability updates that occurred so much)...

Then there feature updates, which adds 3D Blu-Ray, managed downloads, etc...

PS3 was horrible with this.  Lets hope the PS4 doesn't follow suit.

how is that even relevant?

It was a reply to the "Meanwhile, Microsoft is laughing at Sony". In the grand scheme of things these updates, even the "feature" ones are pretty minor. 3D Blu-Ray never gained mainstream traction and isn't even very heavily promoted anymore. Also it's not THAT new so if you have a 3D capable TV you probably already have a 3D player for it.

They hastily declared 3D BD support "coming soon" only after Microsoft announced July update. Curious timing? I think so.

I suspect you are correct in that the recently announced 1.75 update that includes 3D support was a "hastily declared" reaction to the Xbox One announcement. The 1.75 update is not the rumored update this thread was about though, there is a 1.8 update coming next month around Gamescom that was SUPPOSED to have the 3D support as part of it but that one part got moved up in response to the MS announcement. I give MS props for that, in fact I did so in the Neowin article about the Xbox One 3D update but again 3D support is not a major feature in the grand scheme of things. 3D Blu-Ray has largely failed in the market. It's a niche feature with a small but vocal group of supporters. Personally I don't care if the PS4 NEVER supported 3D Blu-Ray playback. Who cares if MS is king of Blu-Ray playback and cable box control, that's not what most people buy $400 gaming consoles for.

Who cares if MS is king of Blu-Ray playback and cable box control, that's not what most people buy $400 gaming consoles for.

It's what most people that buy $400-$500 entertainment boxes for.

Maybe you missed E3 last year?

The whole cable box controlling "entertainment box" thing has been pretty much universally accepted as a colossal failure.

The PS4 has been pitched as "gaming focused" with entertainment being secondary from that get go. That message has dominated the PR scene.  MS this year at E3 even dropped the whole "entertainment box" BS.  $400 entertainment boxed don't sell, $400 games consoles do.  Even now this the recent 3D announcement there are a lot of people actually upset that Sony is even bothering with "entertainment" features at this point.  From Neowin own article about the 3D update announcement:

"While a limited few will no doubt welcome this improvement, the majority of PS4 users are feeling frustration at Sony?s shifting focus in regards to its console." (emphasis added)

I for one can't wait for DLNA support and a YouTube app so I can retire my PS3

• Like 2

The whole cable box controlling "entertainment box" thing has been pretty much universally accepted as a colossal failure.

The PS4 has been pitched as "gaming focused" with entertainment being secondary from that get go. That message has dominated the PR scene.  MS this year at E3 even dropped the whole "entertainment box" BS.  $400 entertainment boxed don't sell, $400 games consoles do.  Even now this the recent 3D announcement there are a lot of people actually upset that Sony is even bothering with "entertainment" features at this point.  From Neowin own article about the 3D update announcement:

"While a limited few will no doubt welcome this improvement, the majority of PS4 users are feeling frustration at Sony?s shifting focus in regards to its console." (emphasis added)

And all the people that did buy Xbox Ones for games AND entertainment? Yea, Sony may be in the lead for sales but lets not act like the Xbox is a flop and didn't sell a huge amount of consoles on the merit that was an all encompassing entertainment box. MS talked only about games at E3 last year, the MS reveal show was about entertainment. As time goes on and great games become the norm again, those entertainment bits will become even more important, it happened last generation, it will happen again.

And that quote you got from Neowin, that was an opinion, not a fact.

This topic has come up alot in the past.

I'll lay it out simply:

The internet community spoke loudly that they only wanted a console that focused on gaming pr wise. Most don't care if Sony and MS want to pursue non-gaming features, but they must be quiet about it and downplay it when talking to gamers. Sony was already doing this, so MS has had to adjust their messaging to match. They went as far as to drop Kinect and scuttle the XES group in order to 'refocus' on gaming as per the demands on the internet community.

The general public is a different matter. Many people among that group would welcome non-gaming features to a console due to their high price, etc. Many are looking for more value out of these boxes then before, so while they may primarily game on it, they see value in being able to connect with all of the entertainment they normally access via a single source under their TV.

So MS just needed to get the pr message right with gamers, but still push other features in order to offer consumers outside of the online group reasons to spend so much on a console. Sony chose correctly from day one.

Bottom line is: Its good to see MS and Sony pushing updates with fixes and new features. I may not use 3D much, but there will be people that own a ps4 that will be happy to see the feature added. It doesn't hurt me at all for them to provide that. I get that Sony is able to provide non-gaming features while also focusing on gaming.

The general public is a different matter. Many people among that group would welcome non-gaming features to a console due to their high price, etc. Many are looking for more value out of these boxes then before, so while they may primarily game on it, they see value in being able to connect with all of the entertainment they normally access via a single source under their TV.

I don't buy this at all. The "general public" doesn't buy $400 gaming consoles in year one when they have very few games and features at all in the first place. Those that DO are "hardcore" gamers and care more about games than those "entertainment" features. The "general public" doesn't own a 3D capable TV at all, heck last I checked DVDs still sell more than Blu-Rays. Those that do and care about it likely already have a 3D player they've been using. This isn't like when the PS3 launched and was one of the first/best Blu-Ray players available. Sure it would be nice to have 3D support, control your cable box, etc. on your console and if it was there people would likely use it but that isn't the major selling point for the device... it's just a nice to have extra.

I don't buy this at all. The "general public" doesn't buy $400 gaming consoles in year one when they have very few games and features at all in the first place. Those that DO are "hardcore" gamers and care more about games than those "entertainment" features. The "general public" doesn't own a 3D capable TV at all, heck last I checked DVDs still sell more than Blu-Rays. Those that do and care about it likely already have a 3D player they've been using. This isn't like when the PS3 launched and was one of the first/best Blu-Ray players available. Sure it would be nice to have 3D support, control your cable box, etc. on your console and if it was there people would likely use it but that isn't the major selling point for the device... it's just a nice to have extra.

You can 'not buy this at all' all you want, that's fine. I'm just saying that I disagree and have heard from both hardcore gamers and casual gamers that have bought or are considering buying a next gen console. The features matter. I'm not claiming they are number one, or even the same level as the games themselves, but they do matter to a lot of people.

Being able to get rid of some other boxes tied to your TV and just have a single box for gaming and everything else is appealing.

Adding 3D support is not major selling feature, but it does contribute to the idea that your $400 box got just a tiny bit more useful. Plus, both MS and Sony can use it for PR purposes. Sony especially since they have such a vested interest in the tech.

It was a reply to the "Meanwhile, Microsoft is laughing at Sony" trolling. In the grand scheme of things these updates, even the "feature" ones are pretty minor. 3D Blu-Ray never gained mainstream traction and isn't even very heavily promoted anymore. Also it's not THAT new so if you have a 3D capable TV you probably already have a 3D player for it.

I suspect you are correct in that the recently announced 1.75 update that includes 3D support was a "hastily declared" reaction to the Xbox One announcement. The 1.75 update is not the rumored update this thread was about though, there is a 1.8 update coming next month around Gamescom that was SUPPOSED to have the 3D support as part of it but that one part got moved up in response to the MS announcement. I give MS props for that, in fact I did so in the Neowin article about the Xbox One 3D update but again 3D support is not a major feature in the grand scheme of things. 3D Blu-Ray has largely failed in the market. It's a niche feature with a small but vocal group of supporters. Personally I don't care if the PS4 NEVER supported 3D Blu-Ray playback. Who cares if MS is king of Blu-Ray playback and cable box control, that's not what most people buy $400 gaming consoles for.

Regardless of the language used, it's not trolling but just truth when Microsoft has made significant updates almost every month whereas Sony has been resting on the laurels (perception wise if nothing else). 3D support is nothing major and I personally don't care much for 3D but it's just one example of a major update (functionality wise).

You know it's a problem when even pro-Sony folks start complaining about firmware updates lacking in features.

I never really got that, I got the idea that people who disliked Microsoft wanted to spin it that way, but I never really thought that the average person got upset that that console was "too capable".

Regardless of the language used, it's not trolling but just truth when Microsoft has made significant updates almost every month whereas Sony has been resting on the laurels (perception wise if nothing else). 3D support is nothing major and I personally don't care much for 3D but it's just one example of a major update (functionality wise).

You know it's a problem when even pro-Sony folks start complaining about firmware updates lacking in features.

You are absolutely right.  I've gone PS4 this gen and have said many times that Sony have just been flat-out lazy with it comes to updates so far.  We've had ONE update of any substance bringing more user-facing features (1.70), where as Microsoft have been pumping out improvements every month.

To say PS4 is more feature rich to begin with is farcical given that even ignoring the amount of basic features missing that were on the PS3 they've not even been able to deliver the features they said they would when they first announced the console.

They appear to just be playing catch up with Microsoft. Every time they announce a monthly update with a fairly respectable changelog Sony have to me-too with a minor point release with 'stability fixes'. It is embarrassing on Sonys part.

To say otherwise is nonsense.  MS have been far and away the most impressive in terms of post-release support so far.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/system-update-operating-system

Xbox One Updates: 8 

Next Update: TBD (3D BR Support)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

PS4 Updates: 11 (Starting from 1.50, I have excluded 4 updates which I think are pre-release updates)

Next Update: Next Week (3D BR Support)

Both have released mostly stability patches, Microsoft just releases more detailed release notes while Sony just put 'Stability Improvements' in the release notes. I don't own a Xbox One so I can't say what features are missing, but for the PS4 its lacking a few that it should have had since launch or by now at-least.

PS4 Updates: 11 (Starting from 1.50, I have excluded 4 updates which I think are pre-release updates)

Both have released mostly stability patches, Microsoft just releases more detailed release notes while Sony just put 'Stability Improvements' in the release notes. I don't own a Xbox One so I can't say what features are missing, but for the PS4 its lacking a few that it should have had since launch or by now at-least.

what are you trying to say here? Do you mean that Sony has released equal number of feature updates as Microsoft but just calls them "stability improvements"?

That is quite misleading. Pretty much every Xbox update so far has had some user facing features included, where PS4 has only had one substantial one (1.70).  Even basic features such as friend notifications they have failed to deliver so far.

There is no sugar coating the fact Sony have been abysmal at even catching up with updates so far let alone delivering anything brand new.

I'm not sure why you are both getting defensive over the subject, I am in agreeance that Sony's updates have been lacking substance.

But with that being said previous comments on this thread have hinted at Microsoft releasing more updates than Sony when that is not the case.

GotBored is just trying to point out that its not all bad news. He wants to make sure you are being very specific in your criticism.

Sony has released more updates than MS. That is true.

Sony has done less with those updates than MS. That is also true.

I for one can't wait for DLNA support and a YouTube app so I can retire my PS3

At least your PS3 works...

Mines got the dreaded YLOD last week... With Xmen First Class Blu-Ray stuck in there....    :(

Will attempt to fix it this coming weekend... :/