Weird computer issues

I think what happened is when I replaced my new mobo that was DNA for the third time with an ASUS one, I forgot to.check if the same ram timings and things were supported. I think I'm getting closer here. I think the hdd is bad. It won't boot into windows anymore but the other hdd are responsive; though still haven't booted into windows on the others yet.

Bought new ssds, put them in a raid 0 on a different controller and things went to super bad. Freezes whenever installing 8.1 and programs hang when doing general use stuff (such as internet browsing)

Bought new ssds, put them in a raid 0 on a different controller and things went to super bad. Freezes whenever installing 8.1 and programs hang when doing general use stuff (such as internet browsing)

Just for sake of argument, install windows on just 1 SSD - 

(you can always wipe it out and redo it in RAID after testing

So -

Its not the HDD - you tossed it & bought SSDs
Its not RAM - memtest confirmed
Its not the buggy OS image (new one is real bad)
Its not temps

You aren't using the Marvel RAID controller or Marvell SATA3 controller are you ?  Because that is really buggy.
I have an ASUS mobo that uses the Marvel controller for SATA3 & if I have more than 1 HDD using SATA3 - it locks up.  So I only have my SSD on SATA3 (large HDD doesnt need it anyway)

What about BIOS settings ?  I know you have RAM @ 1866, but what if you just set it to XMP ? Or some lame default generic setting ?

Only way to figure it out is process of elimination (unfortunately, very time consuming)

It does have a marvell controller. I don't think I'm using that one but I will confirm tomorrow

Weirdly enough my xmp settings say 1867 even though the speeds say 1866MHZ. I'll check the controller and get back to you tomorrow.

It is the marvell controller I'm using. Don't really have a choice for raid or sata iii on this mobo. It's the only data controller you get that can raid.

Then indeed its the culprit and cause of the issue.

So I called asus. They had me update my bios and I've changed over to the Intel controller instead of the marvell controller. Still getting good some slight weirdness but no crashes so far. Like i uaed to be able to hit ctrl+shift +escape and the the task manager woukd onstantly pop up. Now it always yskes about 3-4 sec. The real test is when I try to install windows 8.1 tonight.

Well - its progress.  I know its not what you were wanting  -- but maybe a little relief.

I agree with you - it is sad.  That marvel controller drove me nuts before I found out about how bad it was.  (Thanks ASUS !) :angry:

Updating your BIOS probably didnt do anything.

FWIW - You can always use a PCI-Express RAID SATA3 6Gb/s add in card

• 1 month later...

Yeah, windows 8.1 installed after that. I promptly went Office Space on my Razer Mamba, it is no more. I bought a Steel Series Wireless mouse, it's been awesome. Still get random issues, but at this point I'm tired of hunting for it. I'm going to just trash this computer completely and start over come this January. I'll just keep the video card, it's the only thing to not disappoint me out of this build thus far.